Garlick Resigns...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not totally opposed to BW however given what's taken place at our club recently I'd prefer we didn't give the media anymore reasons to sh!t can us.... Then again.....

Totally agree with you, some people just can't lye straight in bed.

(side note) Who tampered with my previous comment - "NO THANK YOU"

Waldron has done his time. Hopefully he has learned a lot, surely he has learned a lot? He was great on KBs show(SEN) as a promoter of his club, and a top administrator. He just wasn't strong morally. Humility is the best teacher. If he isn't blaming others and has become humble, I say get him on board. We need experience and wisdom and a sense of history in admin. urgently.

I am surprised people are supportive of Waldron. The guy cost his club two premierships with deliberate cheating and rorting of the salary cap. Not only that their were rumours of his nepotism and sexual impropriety at the Saints (printed by C Wilson). Not to mention all of the Saints sex shit happened on his watch.

Personally don't want this corrupt (and I mean corrupt in every sense of the word) individual near our club.

And do people remember the the destruction of the Mebourne Tigers, guess who was on the Board either at time or in the lead up, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...melbourne-tigers/story-e6frfglf-1226262757691.

FFS really, people really want Brian Waldron? Jeeesus.

Robson on the other, well he was blindsided by James and like many others in our industry didn't have procedures in place to manage things. Robson helped build Hawthorn. If he was available would be very keen.

I am surprised people are supportive of Waldron. The guy cost his club two premierships with deliberate cheating and rorting of the salary cap. Not only that their were rumours of his nepotism and sexual impropriety at the Saints (printed by C Wilson). Not to mention all of the Saints sex shit happened on his watch.

Personally don't want this corrupt (and I mean corrupt in every sense of the word) individual near our club.

And do people remember the the destruction of the Mebourne Tigers, guess who was on the Board either at time or in the lead up, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...melbourne-tigers/story-e6frfglf-1226262757691.

Robson on the other, well he was blindsided by James and like many others in our industry didn't have procedures in place to manage things. Robson helped build Hawthorn. If he was available would be very keen.

You raise some good points - but I don't necessarily agree with them.

I tend to believe Waldron's version of events regarding the Storm's payments to players - and while I in no way condone their behavior - it's well known the NRL and anyone/anything to do with that game north of the border despise Storm - particularly considering their success (4 flags in 15 years - not bad). It wouldn't take much to convince me that head office changed their opinion on what they could/couldn't pay their players on a whim (much like the AFL is doing to Sydney right now). Sure - they should have toed the (however incorrect) line - but I'm not convinced Waldron set out to systematically defraud the salary cap.

Regarding Melbourne Tigers - I'm not sure that has anything to do with him. The people who purchased the club from McPeake had every intention of buying the licence only to do exactly what they did - shitcan the Tigers and make their own team. I'm not sure what Waldron has to do with that.

As for the St Kilda sex thing - drawing a pretty long bow there. Was he also at Montagna's place that night? I don't think it's a CEO's role to be monitoring the sexual activities of his players.

I tend to believe Waldron's version of events regarding the Storm's payments to players - and while I in no way condone their behavior - it's well known the NRL and anyone/anything to do with that game north of the border despise Storm - particularly considering their success (4 flags in 15 years - not bad). It wouldn't take much to convince me that head office changed their opinion on what they could/couldn't pay their players on a whim (much like the AFL is doing to Sydney right now). Sure - they should have toed the (however incorrect) line - but I'm not convinced Waldron set out to systematically defraud the salary cap.

Regarding Melbourne Tigers - I'm not sure that has anything to do with him. The people who purchased the club from McPeake had every intention of buying the licence only to do exactly what they did - shitcan the Tigers and make their own team. I'm not sure what Waldron has to do with that.

As for the St Kilda sex thing - drawing a pretty long bow there. Was he also at Montagna's place that night? I don't think it's a CEO's role to be monitoring the sexual activities of his players.
Spot on.

Amazing what name recognition and friends in the media can do.

Richmond 1991-1997 Development Manager / Recruiting Manager / General Manager Football Operations.
Richmond 13th, 13th, 14th, 9th, 3rd, 9th, 13th

St Kilda 2000-2004 General Manager Football Operations / CEO
St Kilda 16th, 15th, 11th, 11th, 3rd

Amazing what name recognition and friends in the media can do.

Richmond 1991-1997 Development Manager / Recruiting Manager / General Manager Football Operations.
Richmond 13th, 13th, 14th, 9th, 3rd, 9th, 13th

St Kilda 2000-2004 General Manager Football Operations / CEO
St Kilda 16th, 15th, 11th, 11th, 3rd

To be fair - what has anyone else achieved at those organisations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS posters calling footscray meth central get kept and your polite post got deleted. BIAS?!?!?
What's that old proverb about glass houses, again? Good grief.

Three points: 1 - I recall an interview that indicated Waldron ran two separate sets of books, real ones and the ones they gave the NRL...http://www.news.com.au/national/bri...ne-storm-scandal/story-e6frfkp9-1225857286768 And of course Waldron resigned because he was right and everyone was wrong. The Storm never appealed the extreme penalty because Waldron was right....

2 - Waldron allegedly had an affair with and promoted one of his staff (allegedly way beyond her level of competence) at the Saints, so yeah he was a leader of a culture of using women. No not sexual assault but the culture is there.

3 - Okay he was on the Board that ended with the Tigers being sold to guys who then destroyed the club name then...great

Last edited:
2 - Waldron allegedly had an affair with and promoted one of his staff (allegedly way beyond her level of competence) at the Saints, so yeah he was a leader of a culture of using women. No not sexual assault but the culture is there.

BRIAN Waldron's sudden and unexpected departure from St Kilda took place not because of any perceived salary cap problems but because of his divisive and intense relationship with a female staffer who became his partner.

The man at the heart of the Melbourne Storm scandal crossed from the AFL to rugby league after a tearful confrontation in August 2004 with former Saints president Rod Butterss, who told Waldron his position was no longer tenable. This was largely due to his favourable treatment of the club's commercial operations manager, Trish Medwell.

The Age has learnt that Medwell followed Waldron to Melbourne Storm but left amid some acrimony in late 2007 after falling out with a number of staff members, including - significantly - Cameron Vale, who quit the Storm in 2008 because he was unhappy with some of the club's financial practices.

Vale, now the chief financial officer at North Melbourne, yesterday denied reports he had been the ''whistleblower'' regarding the disgraced club's five-year salary cap cheating.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...ice-affair-forced-boss-out-20100423-tj93.html

BRIAN Waldron's sudden and unexpected departure from St Kilda took place not because of any perceived salary cap problems but because of his divisive and intense relationship with a female staffer who became his partner.

The man at the heart of the Melbourne Storm scandal crossed from the AFL to rugby league after a tearful confrontation in August 2004 with former Saints president Rod Butterss, who told Waldron his position was no longer tenable. This was largely due to his favourable treatment of the club's commercial operations manager, Trish Medwell.

The Age has learnt that Medwell followed Waldron to Melbourne Storm but left amid some acrimony in late 2007 after falling out with a number of staff members, including - significantly - Cameron Vale, who quit the Storm in 2008 because he was unhappy with some of the club's financial practices.

Vale, now the chief financial officer at North Melbourne, yesterday denied reports he had been the ''whistleblower'' regarding the disgraced club's five-year salary cap cheating.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...ice-affair-forced-boss-out-20100423-tj93.html

Thanks dude, noting the article mentions the affair occurred while he was married.....just seems morally bankrupt on so many levels...and yeah we all do things wrong but this guy has screwed the pooch on every front.

I love this quote when denies running two sets of books...

“There were certain contract arrangements that were made with players and they were different to what was lodged with the NRL. That’s not unusual but that normally needs to be explained,” he said. http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...rm-bugger-the-rules/50r19fhpci2n1h7pwiiwjafd9

WTF...isn't that running two sets of books...FFS

3 - Okay he was on the Board that ended with the Tigers being sold to guys who then destroyed the club name then...great

If I own a car, then sell it to someone else who decides to lower it, paint it pink and run it in Dandenong Rd drag races...is that any reflection on me?

Besides which - that was a privately owned organisation (by Seamus McPeake) - the decision to sell was his and his alone. The "board" had nothing to do with it.

Yeah but was she hot?

I don't want Brian Waldron anywhere near my Club, to be frank. The SEN interview was clearly part of a PR exercise aimed at testing the waters for his return to a Sports Admin role (I believe with us as a directive from the AFL) with a lot of the narrative from The Boy's Club being that everyone makes mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance etc. Cheating is not a mistake, it is a choice, more often than not a conscious one. The Storm getting stripped of their premierships and that saga killed my enthusiasm for them. I just can't trust someone involved in that affair with a Club that means far more to me.

I don't want Brian Waldron anywhere near my Club, to be frank. The SEN interview was clearly part of a PR exercise aimed at testing the waters for his return to a Sports Admin role (I believe with us as a directive from the AFL) with a lot of the narrative from The Boy's Club being that everyone makes mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance etc. Cheating is not a mistake, it is a choice, more often than not a conscious one. The Storm getting stripped of their premierships and that saga killed my enthusiasm for them. I just can't trust someone involved in that affair with a Club that means far more to me.
Pretty much this. I can't abide cheaters. Especially at my club.

on SEN last week Neil Blame suggested that Peter Gordon may in fact take over the CEO role himself, saying that he has a lot of free time since retiring, now im not saying if this is a good or a bad thing, but it does seem common practice in the business world.

Just tired of a person being amazing one week then they leave and they were never any good. It happened with Eade, Smorgon, Fantasia, Cameron, Davoren, Drain, Clayton, McCartney, and yes even Rose.
It's the standard "you're either with us or against us" mentality that goes with supporting a club - the second they're out the door they're against us and opinions will sway towards the negative. But a couple of them were actually quite poor at their roles and received, from some circles, as much criticism for their performance and decision making while they were at the club as they did when they left.
I want one of these coke snorting high powered business types.
Know he was a pres rather than CEO but regardless, Rod Butters has said he'd never work against St Kilda.
What the AFL gives us is like a government rebate anyway, a nice sweetener they throw in to compensate for the large sums of money they are denying us for their own gain, unfortunately just like it Government rebates, it does not cover anywhere near the amount that they are denying us.
The stadium deals the AFL have tried to improve on the club's behalf, but at the end of the day Etihad is not (yet) the AFL's stadium, making their influence on the matter rather limited - so really, the majority of the "large sums of money" the AFL is directly denying us is via a fairer fixture.

Now, under the current stadium deal (and for as long as I can remember) we don't really make big coin from big crowds, so a couple of extra "blockbusters" isn't going to return massive amounts of money in our current state (bottom 4). So that leaves members and sponsorship. In reality, how many extra members, extra exposure and more sponsorship really would come from an extra two Friday night games and a few more Saturday games on FTA? Especially for a bottom 4 team? Would it equate to more than the $3.6mil the AFL are giving us?

If you do the numbers based on the annual report, an extra, say, 3000 members and a 10% increase in sponsorship (we have to remember regardless of exposure we're still "selling" a bottom 4 side) would equate to a total of below half the amount that the AFL gives us. And in reality, in a bottom 4 year like the one gone or the one coming, I don't think a 100% fair fixture would magically make us recruit 3000 more members.

IMO I don't think a 100% fair fixture year in year out - with no discretionary funding as a consequence - would have us better off financially.

People turned against Rose once he left? News to me as all I remember were people lamenting the loss of probably the best businessman we ever had.
99% of fans would see it that way, but I reckon some of the the fawning and adulation over him as some kind of financial/business genius was way off.

If you look at his record and decision making, there was plenty there to question just how top shelf of a CEO he was.

Peter Rohde - apointed via a three man panel put together by Rose. Two thirds of said panel comrpises Cam Rose himself (a few weeks earlier said he didn't know who Scott West was, a perfect candidate to judge on hiring of key football personnel) and David Smorgon (never played at any level, knew FA about on field matters and coaching). Disastrous outcome. Club then appoints Stephen Newport, the worst footy manager the game has ever known. Soon after that, club appoints the boofhead administrator from the 70s who had played a role in the building of the shittest teams in the modern era, Barry Richardson, as a consultant. 5 draft picks, and a total of $3million+ in cap space is blown in the space of 2 hours - from the 5 players picked up with those picks and money, we get a total return of 115 mediocre games - within 4 years, every single player is gone. There is no way in hell this could have occurred under a competent CEO like Cook. No f***ing way in hell.

Darwin - when Hobart was sticking out as dogs balls as a potential market only a 40 minute flight away, we persisted with a pretty hopeless venture over 4 hours away in often tough conditions, which genuinely hurt our seasons (the team always struggled to recover on the return games after Darwin). Rose also constantly was pushing for two back to back games, unfairly pushing for players to be away from their families/lives/off field interests in Melbourne for over 10 days in a row every year - AFLPA wouldn't have allowed it. We never got more than 500 memberships in the NT, for the amount of resources invested it wasn't a very rewarding venture and we should have pulled out much earlier - can only wonder if those thousands upon thousands of man hours were invested in somewhere like Hobart or even in our own backyard via training sessions with kids in Werribee, Altona, Hoppers, Sunshine, Caroline Springs, what the return in terms of members would have been. The Kangaroos have since swooped on Hobart and locked in 4000+ Tassie members, and with a new deal, are looking at quite a few more. Before Darwin, Rose had us looking at the even more idiotic idea of the Sunshine Coast. http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/good-idea-or-not.58072/

Eade appintment - right people in place, and I'll put my hand up and say I thought he was an excellent match day coach (although I hated many of his list management decisions) but would it be fair to question the club's coach selection process under Rose? Interview one guy and hire him on the spot. Alistair Clarkson goes uninterviewed. Maybe we would have went with Eade anyway, but if you're going to put a panel together, you'd argue many other quality AFL CEOs would have given the directive to interview at least one other candidate as a point of comparison? Appointing Eade on the spot was simply desperation to not allow Hawthorn to possibly interview and nab him in the interim, and with 7 top 4 finishes, 4 GFs and 3 premierships since, gee, didn't we show them.

Going 2 years without a Football Manager after Newport was sacked - handing all of those responsibities to Eade to manage along with his assistants - then in a football department review (run by none other than "I know very little about football" himself, Cam Rose), criticise Eade for not concentrating/focusing on on-field matters enough. :)

Hiring Fantasia, out and out dud responsible for dozens of screw ups.

6 years of his tenure to introduce a Bulldoze the Debt campaign (Melbourne had successfully introduced it and pulled it off within a few years). If we had have introduced it at the beginning of his tenure, and assuming it was successful given the smaller ($3-4mil) mountain to overcome, would have saved millions in interest over the years. Waiting until debt hit the $10mil mark was always going to make it an incredibly more difficult proposition.

No significant profits during huge on field years - despite blockbuster fixtures, being allocated more than our fair share of Friday nights, massive exposure (as an exciting to watch top 4 team), social club getting to a point where it had a waiting list, millions upon millions of AFL assistance still flowing in - and somehow not any profit of significance and our club's debt doubled in that time frame?

Edgewater - Gordon has said that if the club hadn't have re-negotiated the original agreement signed under Rose, the contract as it stood had massive risks that could have seen the club fold. Hell, even according to Rose and Smorgon themselves after the VCAT win, we were a disallowed Maribyrnong Council permit away from the club being forced to shut the doors - what kind of exceptional CEO management across 5 years leaves you in that position?

And for me, the thing I really hated was the shameless self promotion. There was a thread here a few years ago about a speech he made at a business conference, and some of the bullshit he spun was unbelievable - such as when he arrived club didn't even have financials on paper (club has had balance sheets and P&Ls since the 1950s at least), club hadn't made a profit in 20 years (club made a $500k profit two years before he got there in 2000), under his watch the club was making more non-football revenue than Collingwood (he was deceivingly including a multi-million dollar payment received from the government for the WO redevelopment in that figure) .. it was just full of "how great am I" horseshit.

He was a good CEO, he was quite competent in guiding the club through some tough times, implementing the redevelopment was outstanding, a master salesman and politician (which, even if it masks a few problems, is generally a great thing for the professional image of the club) but in comparison to someone like Cook, they are chalk and cheese in terms of their quality as CEOs and what they've delivered to their respective clubs.

For those saying "Bring back Rose"? I think we can do better.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlick Resigns...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back