Toast Gary Rohan (150 games)... NOW 200 is up

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see him delisted. Surely he will get some attention from other clubs? Still think he’d be a handful as a fit third or fourth forward.

He finished the season with 2 concussions in the space of 6 weeks, and has had a number of concussions over his time at Geelong - not sure about when he was at Sydney

Not sure he would have been medically retired, but at his age and with his history of concussion, plus the fractured skull, can see it being a risk with any team taking him on

I'm sad to see him go, his efforts in the last quarter of the 2022 QF will never be forgotten by the faithful.
One of the most polarising players I've seen at Geelong - right up there with Rhys Stanley, Travis Varcoe and Steven Motlop.

I have to admit, without that last quarter, I think he'd be seen quite differently at Geelong. For his backers, it was vindication. For his detractors (and I admit to being one, in large part), it was an "at least" on a difficult career.

Gary Rohan has been a great addition to our club during his time at the Cattery. He has played many great games for us, and I want to thank him for the enjoyment I had watching him at his best. I also want to wish him and his family all the best going into the future. Thanks, Chuckie.

We obviously didn't want him next and presumably communicated that to him, maybe half expecting him to retire?
So clearly delisting is a reflection of him wanting to play on. I just hope it was amicable and that Gary, while disappointed, didn't feel burned in anyway.
He's been fantastic for the club, a premiership player, so the least he deserves is a well communicated and dignified exit.

They/I call him. The RED BARON!! The FLASH!! Good old Fanta Pants himself!!
But to me he is a Fookin GFC LEGEND!!
Without him.
No Flag.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Much maligned but much loved at the G vs the Wobblers from Collingwood on that fateful day!!
All the best mate, in all that comes your way!!
Again. Thanks for those memories. They will last me throughout my final years.
From One supporter who is as Grateful as Fook you wore the hoops.

We obviously didn't want him next and presumably communicated that to him, maybe half expecting him to retire?
So clearly delisting is a reflection of him wanting to play on.
The club and player would have been very clear about where things stood long before the exit interview, and often, players in Gary's position are given a chance to retire rather than be delisted. I think you're right that Gary chose not to retire, and that's why the club delisted him. Footy is a tough sport.

The club and player would have been very clear about where things stood long before the exit interview, and often, players in Gary's position are given a chance to retire rather than be delisted. I think you're right that Gary chose not to retire, and that's why the club delisted him. Footy is a tough sport.
Yeah, that also allows another team to snap him up if they really want him. I can't quite see it happening, but you'd always rather have the option if you think you're good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Gary Rohan (150 games)... NOW 200 is up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back