Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is intriguing. I henceforth propose:
  • Finals between WA and Vic teams be played in Adelaide;
  • Finals between Qld and Vic teams be played in Sydney;
  • Finals between NSW and Vic teams be played in Wagga;
  • Finals between SA and Vic teams be played in *checks map* Nhill?
and so on.

Or we could just play every final at the MCG like we did for the first 100+ years of the comp?

If we are sensible about neutrality, ‘biggest venue in the state, plus GF at the MCG’ makes sense.

‘Most people play at the biggest venue in the state except GWS and Geelong, who get to play at their suburban training venue’ is the worst possible compromise imo

Or we could just play every final at the MCG like we did for the first 100+ years of the comp?

If we are sensible about neutrality, ‘biggest venue in the state, plus GF at the MCG’ makes sense.

‘Most people play at the biggest venue in the state except GWS and Geelong, who get to play at their suburban training venue’ is the worst possible compromise imo
Lol no way is the MCG neutral.

So just because every Melbourne based club for one reason or another relinquished their traditional home base to play elsewhere Geelong should be forced to suffer?
And forced to suffer? You have a unique set of advantages that give you a leg up to finals as it is. Again, advantages not available to any other club.

Yes, currently it doesn't happen in finals. But your H&A advantage is unique, and the most unbalanced in the league re crowd v travel, bar none.

It would be great, if just once, just once, a Geelong supporter could admit this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, one win after a season or post season bye since 2012? Sorry wouldn't consider it rock solid proof

All except 2 games post the mid-season bye since 2012 have been played interstate. Guess that little fact goes missing though. The two played in Victoria were against the Swans who have a good record against us in Geelong, and against the Bulldogs where we lost when Harry Taylor missed after the siren.

Last edited:
Lol no way is the MCG neutral.

It is the MOST neutral ground for a number of reasons:

- no team trains at the MCG or has its home base there.

- it has the highest capacity, which means the highest number of away team or neutral supporters can attend (compared to, say, KP - where approximately zero neutral or away supporters can attend)

- it has a 40,000 seat MCC members reserve and a large AFL members reserve which ensures there are a huge number of neutral supporters at games, particularly big games and finals

- it is the premier ground in the competition, and also used for heaps of neutral events - Boxing Day test, commonwealth games, etc. I’d argue every footballer has probably visited and dreamed about playing there. There is a different mentality to the ground itself that doesn’t apply elsewhere.

- because 9 teams play home games there but also share games with Docklands, none has a particular affinity for the ground or is particularly associated with it (although Richmond in recent years have had that advantage magnified)

Similar arguments about neutrality could be made, albeit to a lesser degree, about the other major grounds.

Surely you can see there’s a difference between the MCG and Kardinia Park in terms of the advantage applies to respective tenants? Even the Adelaide Oval holds some neutral value as the home of footy in SA, home to multiple teams who train elsewhere, etc.

The only alternative I see is to allow every team to nominate where they play, for every home match. Hawthorn can choose to play vic teams in Tassie and non-Vic at the MCG. Carlton can play at PP if they want, even for preliminary finals. Bulldogs can play Docklands vs MCG tenants and MCG vs interstate, etc.

It’s crazy Geelong are allowed this advantage for the regular season (in my opinion worth 1-2 wins per year), let alone extending it to finals...

It's official folks. There is no advantage to the MCG tenant teams when they play finals at the MCG.
None whatsoever. But strangely West Coast are advantaged by playing finals at Optus, and Geelong
would be advantaged by playing finals in Geelong.

Nobody said that lol Strawman.

The point is MCG tenants have a disadvantage during the year compared to Geelong because Geelong simply receive more genuine home games. It's as simple as that. It's an advantage during the year. They then have a harder time come finals. If they want to swap positions with Richmond I'd be glad to do it.

PS Richmond finished minor premiers last year and played 2 consecutive MCG finals against MCG tenants. Do you see how things work themselves out?

Interstate teams get even more genuine home games and finals advantage but contend with travel and an inevitable MCG grand final.

It all works out yet Geelong are the only ones who complain.

They are the only non travelling team in the league that have a home ground and still complain.

All except 2 games post the mid-season bye since 2012 have been played interstate. Guess that little fact goes missing though. The two played in Victoria were against the Swans who have a good record against us in Geelong, and against the Bulldogs where we lost when Harry Taylor missed after the siren.

Once upon a time not long ago, Geelong were happy to play anywhere, win anywhere if we're good enough.
C.Scott has seriously damaged the approach, attitude, admiration and respect of a good club.

- it has the highest capacity, which means the highest number of away team or neutral supporters can attend (compared to, say, KP - where approximately zero neutral or away supporters can attend)

- it has a 40,000 seat MCC members reserve and a large AFL members reserve which ensures there are a huge number of neutral supporters at games, particularly big games and finals

- it is the premier ground in the competition, and also used for heaps of neutral events - Boxing Day test, commonwealth games, etc. I’d argue every footballer has probably visited and dreamed about playing there. There is a different mentality to the ground itself that doesn’t apply elsewhere.

- because 9 teams play home games there but also share games with Docklands, none has a particular affinity for the ground or is particularly associated with it (although Richmond in recent years have had that advantage magnified)

Similar arguments about neutrality could be made, albeit to a lesser degree, about the other major grounds.

Surely you can see there’s a difference between the MCG and Kardinia Park in terms of the advantage applies to respective tenants? Even the Adelaide Oval holds some neutral value as the home of footy in SA, home to multiple teams who train elsewhere, etc.

The only alternative I see is to allow every team to nominate where they play, for every home match. Hawthorn can choose to play vic teams in Tassie and non-Vic at the MCG. Carlton can play at PP if they want, even for preliminary finals. Bulldogs can play Docklands vs MCG tenants and MCG vs interstate, etc.

It’s crazy Geelong are allowed this advantage for the regular season (in my opinion worth 1-2 wins per year), let alone extending it to finals...

If you take even 1 win off their in-season record where does that put them on the ladder?

Where did it put them in 2017?

GWS don't train on Giants Stadium, but cool story. You're just upset that Nhill finally gets the recognition it deserves.

Once upon a time not long ago, Geelong were happy to play anywhere, win anywhere if we're good enough.
C.Scott has seriously damaged the approach, attitude, admiration and respect of a good club.

And we still are.

All Scott, Carter and co. are highlighting is the can of worms that was opened when GWS were allowed to play a home prelim against the Dogs at a ground which holds less than GMHBA Stadium does, despite there being venues in Sydney which hold bigger attendances being vacant, which is the reason we're given for not being allowed to host finals in Geelong. If that isn't blatant hypocrisy, I don't know what is.

Most neutral. Nice change.

There is no way it should be classed as neutral as it isn't when playing any non victorian sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we still are.

All Scott, Carter and co. are highlighting is the can of worms that was opened when GWS were allowed to play a home prelim against the Dogs at a ground which holds less than GMHBA Stadium does, despite there being venues in Sydney which hold bigger attendances being vacant, which is the reason we're given for not being allowed to host finals in Geelong. If that isn't blatant hypocrisy, I don't know what is.

Most reasonable people would think supply and demand was met. The demand would be greater in Geelong?

Let's see if what you said unfolds should you lose. I doubt it will. Appreciate your view and moving on.

Nah, the Cats make finals most years. It's expected these days. Now they're on a crusade to bring integrity to the competition.

Is it or is it about winning?
If it's about integrity and fairness, then your club should forfeit the game. Make a stand for all and compel the AFL to change it by the loss of money and public perception the stand would cause.

To be fair to chris scott, he was asked by Whateley why he brought this up again during the press conference. Reason: he was asked.

If you're asked a question, we want honest answers from the responder. Chris gave that. Can't pot him for that,

Also said the afl are fixated on things they dont want to change. Yes I think everyone agrees. Let's face it, the afl never get anything wrong!
I think he called sections of the afl "psychological minnows". Didn't refer to "normal people" this time, changed it to "thinking people"

I don't know why interstate clubs are getting involved and defending Geelong lol

Victorian clubs:
Pros: Minimal travel, MCG GF
Cons: Minimal home games

Interstate Clubs:
Pros: The most home games, home finals
Cons: Heaps of travel, MCG GF

Geelong:
Pros: Minimal travel, home games during year
Cons: No home final, MCG GF

What Geelong want:
Pros: Minimal travel, home games during year, home finals, Kardinia GF?
Cons: Nil

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back