Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final - other teams making up the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

So did the Doggies......

The doggies beat the hawks when the hawks were missing a number of key players.

The saints beat a much stronger hawk line up....easily.

We are playing better than we did back when we beat the hawks. The dogs are in poor form and play with no confidence, and have no one to play buddy. We have maxy, who held him well last time....

Still, its all hypothetical, and two weeks away, if it happens....

Three points

1/ That the Dogs have now lost 6 of their last 8 games and so are hardly in good form (not knocking the Hawks tonight though as they did what they needed to do)

2/ That if the Saints do happen to play the Hawks that one of the keys is having a player that can limit Buddy's effectiveness. Max H is such a backman. He hasa superb record at controlling key forwards this year including Buddy.

3/ The Hawks backline is also vunerable against good tall forwards and the Dogs have none.
Max is far too slow and will get towelled up by Buddy in the form he is in atm but the real key is the midfield battles and apart from Hayes who is a gun i cant see anyone else stepping up to the plate in the hardness stakes to match it with the hawk midfielders and thats where youll lose out big time

Saints supporters are an optimistic bunch arent they? Still hoping for the R.Harvery fairytale to occur i guess.

Who in the saints midfield is going to carry them over the line? Old man Harvs? Soft as butter Dal Santo? Seriously the Saints turn to mush once the real finals football comes along. Can talk about Hudgton all you like - Buddy will run him ragged.

LOL.
This thread makes me understand why the "winning streak" DVD is so funny.
Go Sainters, you all keep typing about how great you are.
Then you can implode into self recrimination and try and get Lyons sacked.

You have good form at the moment, but with your team, it can be fleeting.
I would counsel Saint fans to be a tad more circumspect for the next few weeks.

Hawthorn are awesome. I love watching them play, they are a very impressive unit and I have no doubt it will be a Hawthorn vs Geelong GF. It actually scares me a bit because I get that same feeling of awe watching Hawthorn play as I do Geelong.

When you look at the teams, it is hard to differentiate who has the better list on paper, I think Geelong, just.

Hawthorn has a better forward line than Geelong, but Geelong has a much better defence than Hawthorn. I think it really comes down to the midfield -

Inside/clearance players - Mitchell/Lewis vs Corey/Selwood = draw
Taggers/Run with players - Sewell vs Ling = draw
Stars - Batemen/Crawford vs Bartel/Ablett = Geelong, easily. I really rate Bateman but the Geelong boys are freaks and Crawf isn't 25 anymore.

Geelong has the better midfield and the only defence in the comp that can stop Hawthorns forwards. That said, if Hawthorn are completely on their game they could be hard to beat, just the same as Geelong. I think it will really come down to who plays better on the day (providing they are our actual finalists :thumbsu:)

Still got 3 more games to go.

If North, Collingwood and Saints will it will be very interesting...

The doggies beat the hawks when the hawks were missing a number of key players.

The saints beat a much stronger hawk line up....easily.

We are playing better than we did back when we beat the hawks. The dogs are in poor form and play with no confidence, and have no one to play buddy. We have maxy, who held him well last time....

Still, its all hypothetical, and two weeks away, if it happens....
Who the hell cares who beats who early in the season.You Saints supporters are deluded if you think just because you beat Hawthorn earlier in the year youll do it again in a final.We all saw how good the bulldogs were tonight after beating Hawthorn earlier in the year.You beat an under 19s Essendon side,Fremantle,Adelaide and Port whilst still managing to lose to an under strength Collingwood and West Coast in the last 6 games of the season and you reckon thats good enough form to challenge the Hawthorns and Geelongs in the finals.Please give us all break and stop talking yourselves up into something your not

saints have hayes,gram,goddard and lukey ball will be bac if we play the hawks.lee montagna dal santo and even sam fisher can go into the mids for a spell.o and i forgot the great man banger harves he still averages over 20 touches does he not?? and now with the xman bac thats another guy and he kicks goals i think:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i were a port adeladie fan i would be hoping any team other than hawthorn makes the grand final. their 119 point record will only last 1 season if it's geelong vs anyone other than the hawks on grand final day.

and the saints are taking a fair bit for granted already talking about a preliminary final - classic cart before the horse stuff, reminds me of them discussing how they would take on west coast in the 2005 grand final

I think it really comes down to the midfield -

Inside/clearance players - Mitchell/Lewis vs Corey/Selwood = draw
Taggers/Run with players - Sewell vs Ling = draw
Stars - Batemen/Crawford vs Bartel/Ablett = Geelong, easily. I really rate Bateman but the Geelong boys are freaks and Crawf isn't 25 anymore.

mate, i reckon you're selling our midfield way short. selwood, ablett, bartel are all genuine matchwinners. ling, for his ability to stop one of their match-winners could almost be classed the same. and corey is just about as good. their only genuine matchwinning midfielder imo, is hodge and he's required down back these days it seems. mitchell, lewis, bateman, and sewell are all very good players, but even geelong's backup mids in kelly, chapman, enright, prismall, rooke would still almost break even with them were they to slug it out...

hawthorn's forward line is good, but so is geelong's defence, whilst the hawks aren't so able imo to contain mooney, lonergan, chapman, johnson, stokes and varcoe if he's playing. Sure the hawks may stop a few, and we may not be able to stop Franklin, but i'm confident in us limiting (though perhaps not beating) Roughead, and one of Rioli or Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final - other teams making up the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back