Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all I'm chasing a bit of advice. I've just hit the wrong side of 40 and finding that I'm not able to strip weight off. I had a muscle tear in my back in May, essentially floored me from an exercise POV for 8 weeks. I spent most of those 8 weeks drinking way too much.

I put on about 8kg, so when I'd recovered I canned the drink for 8 weeks and got back to it. I'm back to my pre-injury weights and running times/distance but I've only dropped about 2kg of what I put on. Diet is also back to being in deficit.

Anyone gone through similar? I don't think it's an age thing. Not sure if I need to be upping the weights or distance/duration of cardio.

For 99% of the population its just going to be as simple as restricting your diet further and/or upping how hard you work out in the gym if you want to lose fat faster

Yeah that's what I've been doing with no success. I'm almost down to 1500 calories per day. Looking after my Macros but juts cant shift any weight. Water intake is good, sleep is good. I've no idea.

Yeah that's what I've been doing with no success. I'm almost down to 1500 calories per day. Looking after my Macros but juts cant shift any weight. Water intake is good, sleep is good. I've no idea.

Do you feel better? Getting stronger? You might find you're gaining muscle so body weight isn't changing on the scalesbut body fat percentage is improving. 1500 calories is very low though, what do you plan to do once you hit your goal? Certainly if you try to add more cardio to drop weight and keep low calories, there isn't really an exit strategy.

Eat more, train compound lifts frequently, the added muscle will burn more calories allowing you to eat more.

Do you feel better? Getting stronger? You might find you're gaining muscle so body weight isn't changing on the scalesbut body fat percentage is improving. 1500 calories is very low though, what do you plan to do once you hit your goal? Certainly if you try to add more cardio to drop weight and keep low calories, there isn't really an exit strategy.

Eat more, train compound lifts frequently, the added muscle will burn more calories allowing you to eat more.
I'd say I'm normally around 2000 calories per day when I was sitting around 85kg and training as hard as I am now. As I said I'd put on about 10kg when i couldn't train and my diet was horrific (my fault) but I'm back to previous workout weights, cardio is the same as before, the big calorie deficit and cant shift weight. I've only dropped 3kg of the 10kg I put on.

Weird one and sorry if it's the wrong place.

But has anyone ever dealt with post competition depression before?

I spent most of my life dreaming I would represent Australia in a sport.

Last weekend not only did I represent Australia in individuals but I also got selected for the teams.

• Got my first ever international medal (third in teams).
  • Got my highest ever finish at a national/ international competition (6th).

Obviously was elated with the results (barring an ankle sprain and pulled calf muscle in teams).

But as the week has gone on I have become depressed.

• I won't ever top that result, I'm 31 and whilst at my all time peak fitness quite injury prone.
  • I won't get get selected to represent Australia again.
  • Getting overtaken by younger generation.

Throughout the week whilst I should have been celebrating I have been getting more and more down, this topped up today at a national event where I started well but my ankle wore me down and I lost to someone I shouldn't have.

I'm getting flatter by the minute and honestly not sure what's next, been aiming for something so long and put so much into it I thought you would feel more happiness if that makes sense?

Last weekend not only did I represent Australia in individuals but I also got selected for the teams.

Obviously was elated with the results (barring an ankle sprain and pulled calf muscle in teams).

• I won't ever top that result, I'm 31 and whilst at my all time peak fitness quite injury prone.

Throughout the week whilst I should have been celebrating I have been getting more and more down, this topped up today at a national event where I started well but my ankle wore me down and I lost to someone I shouldn't have.

I'm getting flatter by the minute and honestly not sure what's next, been aiming for something so long and put so much into it I thought you would feel more happiness if that makes sense?
Yep 100% a real thing

It’s hard to give advice because everyone copes differently but just know you’re amazing and that’s a great achievement.

Post success depression is a thing for sure.

Not sure I would call it success, it's not like I won if that makes sense?

Yep 100% a real thing

It’s hard to give advice because everyone copes differently but just know you’re amazing and that’s a great achievement.

I personally think anyone can achieve it if they work hard, it's still a minor sport.

Weird it's a real thing, might have to go see a sports psychologist, won't lie honestly thought I would be feeling the opposite way round.

Not sure I would call it success, it's not like I won if that makes sense?

I personally think anyone can achieve it if they work hard, it's still a minor sport.

Weird it's a real thing, might have to go see a sports psychologist, won't lie honestly thought I would be feeling the opposite way round.
I mean it doesn't have to be success as in win.
Completion might be a better word. Finishing something important, that thing you focused on is done.
It makes sense that the end of that could impact you.

Firstly thats an incredible result and achievement , so you should be very proud of whay you have done .

I hit the peak/high of my sport at 22 , looking back now I struggled for around 5-6 years after knowing that I wouldnt get back there, the door was shut on higher level and as you say the younger gen bypass you quickly .

So I really struggled with the enjoyment and while I kept playing I really never was able feel fulfilled in it .
Overtime I learnt to shift my focus of success and why I played/competed , but it took a while . Coaching helped with that for me too.

Take care and if you still feel flat reach out , there a lots of very good resources and people out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly congratulations . A great achievement that you no doubt trained and worked and sacrificed a lot for. You have done something that a fraction of a percent of Australians have done.

With time and age it will be realised that
It’s the journey not the destination.

I’ll always remember a scene from the 90s hit movie Bring It On. The protagonist and her cheerleading crew overcame adversity and challenges to make the final three. Ultimately they came second and upon that announcement they expressed disappointment. But the captain realised what they’ve achieved and yells “we came second!” With that the whole team celebrated.

Take care mate.

Definitely don't load up on insulin.

Change up your carbs a bit if possible (move from brown to white rice) and add in some sugars. Higher sugar content allows faster absorption to your muscles and means you can eat faster the second time round.

I'm also sure your doing it already, but with your protein shakes add in stuff like eggs and spinach, it's minor but helps build up the calories.

Id say pretty openly when i was trying to bulk (and still training for footy) the sheer volume of food was the most work.

Ross Edgley talks about his swim around the UK (which is an incredible book if youve not read it) as being an endurance eating competition more than anything else.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable cause i reckon i spent 3 years feeling mostly over full.

Id say pretty openly when i was trying to bulk (and still training for footy) the sheer volume of food was the most work.

Ross Edgley talks about his swim around the UK (which is an incredible book if youve not read it) as being an endurance eating competition more than anything else.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable cause i reckon i spent 3 years feeling mostly over full.
yeah watching the strongmen comp guys eat is something else

Hey guys, new member here after a bit of advice.

Did my ankle in our last footy match this year (tibia fracture and some torn ligaments), resulting in ankle ORIF surgery a month ago. I’m now finally off crutches and fully weight bearing in a moon boot. I’ve been doing some basic upper body exercises but would like suggestions on other exercises I can add — generally need to be seated or on the ground though, to keep pressure off my foot.

Currently I’m doing alternate push/pull days.
Push: o/head seated press, chest press on the floor, o/h tricep extensions, seated lateral raises, one-leg push ups.
Pull: bicep curls, hammer curls
Both: bicycle crunches

Only equipment I have unfortunately is 2x 9kg dumbbells (removeable 2-2.5kg plates).

Thanks in advance!

Also, I’m right footed and the boot is on my left foot — assume I’ll be able to have a kick of the footy with a mate provided I stay stationary while doing so?

Hey guys, new member here after a bit of advice.

Did my ankle in our last footy match this year (tibia fracture and some torn ligaments), resulting in ankle ORIF surgery a month ago. I’m now finally off crutches and fully weight bearing in a moon boot. I’ve been doing some basic upper body exercises but would like suggestions on other exercises I can add — generally need to be seated or on the ground though, to keep pressure off my foot.

Currently I’m doing alternate push/pull days.
Push: o/head seated press, chest press on the floor, o/h tricep extensions, seated lateral raises, one-leg push ups.
Pull: bicep curls, hammer curls
Both: bicycle crunches

Only equipment I have unfortunately is 2x 9kg dumbbells (removeable 2-2.5kg plates).

Thanks in advance!

Also, I’m right footed and the boot is on my left foot — assume I’ll be able to have a kick of the footy with a mate provided I stay stationary while doing so?
I’m 8 months post Achilles rupture so similar injury area

If you’ve got (or can get one) I used my rowing machine but swapped out for a fixed seat so I wasn’t engaging the lower leg.

The weight is pretty low but you could go high reps for chest flys, bent over rows etc too.

I cannot stress this enough, don’t kick a footy in a moonboot. Wait until you’re out of the moonboot and even then ease into it.

If you’re still in a boot you’ll have all sorts of issues with activation of smaller stabilizing muscles and your balance will be poor.

Interested in the health and fitness crews thoughts on the current wildfire of juicing accusations of high profile fitness influencers, athletes and movie stars?
I read about the liver guy and Rogan calling out Johnson this morning but who else?

The first one above especially lol how could anyone honestly believe he's not on drugs.

I read about the liver guy and Rogan calling out Johnson this morning but who else?

The first one above especially lol how could anyone honestly believe he's not on drugs.
Rogan called out McGregor as well (who also called Rogan out in return).

It’s also led to a lot of accusations amongst influencers as well but much lesser known.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back