General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Wondering which international markets would be best RN

I've always wanted to jump on Microsoft but they've exploded. Barefoot (Which I think are full of shit) saying not overvalued, and other financial Think AFR were saying overvalued. Could I put 5K into them or better to look elsewhere.

Already got CBA and EDV with CBA pretty much giving me 230% in 3 years.

Wondering which international markets would be best RN

I've always wanted to jump on Microsoft but they've exploded. Barefoot (Which I think are full of shit) saying not overvalued, and other financial Think AFR were saying overvalued. Could I put 5K into them or better to look elsewhere.

Already got CBA and EDV with CBA pretty much giving me 230% in 3 years.
Has crossed my mind but I've never bought any overseas equities. Bell only recently introduced the ability to do so though.

Taylor top WDS under $27?

They look to have been very ambitious the last week, expanding operations into new markets/projects. Scarborough coming online will be a little boost.

I'm not personally moving more money into Woodside but it looks like it's knocking on the low point for the year so worth a look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked up my CBA shares WTF? ok, so ASX is down today.

I think with the market booming, particularly in the US it might be a good period to put money into the offset for 12 months and pick up with the next big drop.

Don't feel so silly selling all my NAB now.

Markets have had a huuuge bull run and at all time highs so bound to happen.
Looked up my CBA shares WTF? ok, so ASX is down today.

I think with the market booming, particularly in the US it might be a good period to put money into the offset for 12 months and pick up with the next big drop.
I'll look to put some money in now, have a heap of cash ready to buy a property but I've almost given finding anything Perth atm, it just nuts needs to cool off.

Nikkei down almost 10%.

Looks like the great economic spit roast is about to happen.
Yep we've been on this cliff for awhile and all indicators point to doom and gloom with no escape.
I got oil at the start of covid for cheap and think I will see another big rise and profit in the next 2 years.

Cash in the property market in the next 2 years will be king as you will get the property you want with lots of choices.

Don't feel so silly selling all my NAB now.

Markets have had a huuuge bull run and at all time highs so bound to happen.

I'll look to put some money in now, have a heap of cash ready to buy a property but I've almost given finding anything Perth atm, it just nuts needs to cool off.
Problem is for me, even if I can aggressively save over the next 18 months. Adelaide house prices are potentially going to go up another 10%. I'm considering some properties in Salisbury but I might be late to the party. If I do miss the boat, it might be worthwhile putting some money into the mortgage for a while and beat the growth in the market.

Problem is for me, even if I can aggressively save over the next 18 months. Adelaide house prices are potentially going to go up another 10%. I'm considering some properties in Salisbury but I might be late to the party. If I do miss the boat, it might be worthwhile putting some money into the mortgage for a while and beat the growth in the market.
Yeah that's the dilemma, say your investments/cash are only going up 5% but property is rising 10-15%+... I'm now bordering on getting priced out of my first choice area. It's not like the shortage can be remedied quickly either.

In saying that you don't want to get sucked into the mania/fomo either, Perth it's extreme atm.

Yeah that's the dilemma, say your investments/cash are only going up 5% but property is rising 10-15%+... I'm now bordering on getting priced out of my first choice area. It's not like the shortage can be remedied quickly either.

In saying that you don't want to get sucked into the mania/fomo either, Perth it's extreme atm.
Yeah, I'm on some financial forums and lot of investors are saying the land prices in Adelaide are out of control and people are paying overs to the point that profit (short term development gain) is not profitable. I'd likely be parking on the property before developing but it's still sketchy.

For example, a property by the train line in Kilburn of 900sqm sold for $1.7 Million. You can't profit on that without building an apartment tower.

Tech tumble leads ASX’s worst session in 4 years; ResMed emerges unscathed​

Joshua Peach
Share post

There was nowhere for investors to hide on Monday, after the worst sell-off in more than four years flooded every corner of the market in red.

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 3.7 per cent, or 293.6 points, lower at 7649.6, extending Friday’s 2.1 per cent loss. That places the bourse more than 5.5 per cent down over the past two sessions, and marks the worst one-day sell-down since May 2020, during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The sell-down was sparked after July non-farm payrolls data released in the US on Friday undershot estimates and the jobless rate rose faster than expected. That has fuelled fears of a potential recession in the world’s largest economy. Goldman Sachs’ recession probability indicator was revised higher over the weekend from 15 per cent to 25 per cent.

UBS strategist Richard Schellbach said the magnitude of the moves in markets was a product of just how strong they have been until this point, with the ASX touching a record high above 8100 points just three sessions earlier.

“Given the ascent of the market and the valuation that the sharemarket was sitting on, it was always likely to be challenged once we started to see softer data as we have seen over the last week,” Mr Schellbach said.

“And when you look at the moves on the Australian sharemarket today, it’s very much in sync with the defensive rotation that we saw in the US market.”

All 11 ASX sectors ended the day more than 1 per cent lower. Only two ASX 200 stocks managed to avoid the sell-off, with 208 of the stocks on the equity benchmark declining.

Those two stocks were sleep apnoea treatment provider ResMed which closed 2.9 per cent higher at $32.73 on better than expected results reported late last week, and Domino’s Pizza, which ended 0.8 per cent higher at $29.79. The fast food chain rebounded from a strong sell-off in the previous session.

Tech tumble​

The broad market sell-off was led by tech stocks, which sank 6.6 per cent in their worst session since May 2022. The fall in tech stocks comes as the US tech-heavy Nasdaq slipped into a technical correction in Friday’s session, having fallen more than 10 per cent from its recent high.

Nasdaq futures are set to shed a further 5.3 per cent from the index at the open of trading this week following news on Sunday that investor Warren Buffett dumped $116 billion worth of stocks, including a large stake in iPhone maker Apple, in the second quarter. ASX sector heavyweight WiseTech Global fell 8.8 per cent to $84.26.

Fintech Zip Co was the worst performing, down 10.9 per cent to $1.68. Likewise, Afterpay owner Block followed a 10 per cent drop in its US-listed shares on Friday to be the worst performing on the ASX, down 10.6 per cent to $89.53.

Energy stocks also took a beating, as consumption concerns hit the oil price. Brent crude fell 0.7 per cent $US76.25 a barrel, adding to a 3.4 per cent decline in the final session in the US last week. Santos dropped 5 per cent to $7.47 and Woodside declined 3.6 per cent to $26.48.

A fall in uranium prices continued to hurt ASX-listed uranium stocks. Boss Energy dropped 7.6 per cent to $2.94 and Deep Yellow dropped 10 per cent to 94.5¢.

JPY carry trade might be unwinding
Be very careful
I've watched a few YT vids about this and what I find fascinating is a) how financially literate professional investors are and b) how no one really knows what the catalyst will be for a downturn. Lots of people have discussed the carry trade over the last year or so as a leverage tool, and many in the last 10 days have discussed the potential ramifications of the Japanese Central Bank raising rates, but I didn't hear too much about a potential 10%+ sell off because of this very reason.

I'm sure a lot of the lay discussion over the next couple of weeks will be about earnings and high interest rates and an apparent recession, but I think the simple yet esoteric reason for the massive sell off is the arbitrage with the YEN.

Yay for fractional reserve banking!

Remove this Banner Ad

General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back