Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished watching Mr Inbetween the other day. Can see what the hype was about, loved it. Felt there was another season in it however I suppose its better finishing a bit early than going on too long like Dexter.

Finished watching Mr Inbetween the other day. Can see what the hype was about, loved it. Felt there was another season in it however I suppose its better finishing a bit early than going on too long like Dexter.
Cracking show, the dialogue between him and the older bloke who takes him hostage in his car as their going back an forth on kids names is piss funny. Too Aussie.

Unbelievable show.

Love the backstory of the main actor and the path he took to finally making it so late in life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unbelievable show.

Love the backstory of the main actor and the path he took to finally making it so late in life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah he made the videocam version of it or whatever in like 2004 with the same character name and then finally got it made by a network 20 years later.

Matt Nable (Dave in this clip) is a ****ing good actor.

I rewatched The Dry recently, such a good film. Really been meaning to watch the sequel.
I just watched the dry couple weeks not bad, gotta watch the second one. Makes me miss oz the simple country pubs with blokes in trady vests being campaigners at the bar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely, my favourite thing about this board is the complete lack of respect for the thread topic
Ill Allow It GIF

Got a reply to my letter ... Jessica's been busy!

Hi ____,
For some reason the blanking out of your name makes me think Jessica snapped and called you a ****.

Okay I’ve done it. I hope it cheers up Jessica when she gets to work on Monday. I think this time I have succeeded in summing up the issues that really concern me.

This is what I sent:

Dear Gary

I wanted you to know how disappointed I am in the Melbourne Football Club and how hard it is to justify investing any further time and money when I no longer believe that the club’s administration have any interest in the concerns of members.

Our best players want to leave. I don’t blame them.

But I am worried that with the constant media for the past 12 months about drug culture, player dissatisfaction, pointless infighting amongst the board and negligence around player care, the most important point is being lost with is that Melbourne has played a style of game that is truly unwatchable since 2022. It’s like being forced to watch Picnic At Hanging Rock on a weekly basis. I can’t stand panpipes. I’m not keen on bagpipes either. I don’t like instruments that are tuned to Lydian mode, though I understand that Scottish people find them quite stirring.

I’ve never understood why Peter Weir is revered as a great Australian film director. My favourite Australian film is an independent movie from 1986 called Malcolm starring Colin Friels. It has a wonderful scene where he engineers a bank robbery using three remotely-controlled free-standing ashtrays. Another good scene is where the yellow Honda Z splits in half to create two motorcycles. I would like to see our club invest in something like this to get more pace and attack from halfback.

I am also disappointed that no progress seems to have been made in finding the club a permanent home. Personally I think the moon would be a better place to train than Casey, and it would be diverting to see how high Oliver can kick the ball in zero gravity.

Obviously there would be some challenges in establishing a base in outer space but it would have some advantages over locating some of the world’s least trusted individuals bang in the middle of a racecourse. Full marks for attempting a creative approach but you lose at least a few marks for not actually succeeding in getting anything done. Perhaps you might call on the assistance of humble members like me? I would be more than happy to sublet my backyard to the MFC, though I am a tenant and would have to seek permission from Jellis Craig real estate before making a final commitment. I will keep you in the loop about progress with this plan, which is something you don’t seem to do with your members, and hopefully I will be back with good news in the next week or so.

In return I hope that, as CEO of the oldest football club in Australia, you might give some thought to replacing our entire football department. A good option would be engaging the remote-controlled free-standing ashtrays I mentioned before. They could double-up as our forward line in the event of injury which is surely better than just flipping the backline forward and hoping for the best. I checked the AFL rules this morning and was pleased to note that it makes no mention of free-standing ashtrays or motorcycles, which suggests they are permitted. Nobody really understands the rules anymore - which seems to extend to the umpires - so there would be no harm in trying some different approaches involving magnets and small, furry forest animals. Or go back to our previous experiment involving illicit substances which was quite a good idea and worked very well.

I apologise for getting away from the real point of this letter which is to tell you about Peter Weir. Did you know that he also wrote and directed the film “Greencard”? If you haven’t seen it, I would not recommend that you do so. It is an unconvincing and slow paced romance where she falls in love with his French accent and he falls in love with her bad acting. Thankfully it involves no bagpipes though I believe that it does feature some African drums. Other than panpipes and bagpipes I am a fan of world music. One of my favourite albums is Graceland by Paul Simon. I saw him live at the Rod Laver arena and was surprised at how small his feet were. I assume they still are since most people don’t grow any bigger after age 20.

Yours sincerely
Scythe94 can we get a POTY badge for this please. No one it topping this. Proper Gander you need to write a novel.

Alright, I'm off to watch Picnic at hanging rock then Malcolm for the first time in 30+ years..

Sent the following to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

You're probably getting a lot of negative feedback from passionate members of of the club so wanted share some encouraging thoughts with you.

Thank you for getting in touch with the Melbourne Football Club.

I’d firstly like to take a moment to acknowledge your frustrations. Please know that we hear these. There’s no doubt that recent months have made for some challenging moments, for our players, coaches, staff and members like yourself, and we understand the emotions that come with that.

As we approach the AFL Trade Period, we expect a significant amount of rumour and speculation in relation to player movement, and are evidently aware of commentary surrounding Christian Petracca. As we have previously said, both in a recent letter to members and in the media, Christian is an integral and valued part of the Melbourne family. He is a contracted player, and will be wearing the red and blue next season.

As a football club, all we want to do is get better. The 2024 AFL season wasn’t the one we had hoped for, and the focus is now on understanding what is required to move forward. There have been conversations with many of our leaders over recent weeks about our opportunities for growth. These conversations have been open and constructive, and we are committed to working together to find a path forward, to ensure we can be the best we can be in 2025.

We want to stress the importance of every single member whose heart beats true, so we thank you again for taking the time to reach out. We will need your support both now and into the future, Niall, so we hope you can stick with us.

Regards,
Jessica

Sent the following to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

You're probably getting a lot of negative feedback from passionate members of of the club so wanted share some encouraging thoughts with you.

Thank you for getting in touch with the Melbourne Football Club.

I’d firstly like to take a moment to acknowledge your frustrations. Please know that we hear these. There’s no doubt that recent months have made for some challenging moments, for our players, coaches, staff and members like yourself, and we understand the emotions that come with that.

As we approach the AFL Trade Period, we expect a significant amount of rumour and speculation in relation to player movement, and are evidently aware of commentary surrounding Christian Petracca. As we have previously said, both in a recent letter to members and in the media, Christian is an integral and valued part of the Melbourne family. He is a contracted player, and will be wearing the red and blue next season.

As a football club, all we want to do is get better. The 2024 AFL season wasn’t the one we had hoped for, and the focus is now on understanding what is required to move forward. There have been conversations with many of our leaders over recent weeks about our opportunities for growth. These conversations have been open and constructive, and we are committed to working together to find a path forward, to ensure we can be the best we can be in 2025.

We want to stress the importance of every single member whose heart beats true, so we thank you again for taking the time to reach out. We will need your support both now and into the future, Niall, so we hope you can stick with us.

Regards,
Jessica
Jessica reading this:

1725169950222.gif

Last edited:
I quite liked Picnic at Hanging Rock. I remember finding the soundtrack irksome but I can't recall why- were there really bagpipes?

I have no idea what my favourite Australian movie is but I watched Baz's' Elvis last week and it's unreal.

Should have used this post as an email to the club, maybe next time.
Watched a lot of horror flicks over the years but Picnic at Hanging Rock is still one the creepiest movies I’ve seen. Need more Aussie film chat on here, maybe in the Tom McDonald thread.

Fav Aussie film behind The Castle is Animal Kingdom.

Fav Aussie film behind The Castle is Animal Kingdom.
I gotta see Animal Kingdom still.
True History of the Kelly Gang is another Aussie film on the list, keen as for both of them

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back