Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I'm sick of listening to Gawn, "I don't see what the big deal is"
Um maybe that your president and CEO said we didn't need a review and then a week later we are having one? It's not like this was some planned review we always have it's a face saving exercise

I could have sworn it was reported somewhere last week that Smith was overseas next year. Did we think we’d convince him to stay?
The initial reports always seemed to indicate that it was more likely he'd come in in a years time.

The communication out of the club is so ****ing bad. Everything feels reactive, there doesn't appear to be any clear plan. We're left to piece things together from media reports who all seem to be sung a slightly different tune.

The initial reports always seemed to indicate that it was more likely he'd come in in a years time.

The communication out of the club is so ****ing bad. Everything feels reactive, there doesn't appear to be any clear plan. We're left to piece things together from media reports who all seem to be sung a slightly different tune.
As I said, I was just stupid in my reaction. Hopefully 2025 is a transitional year of sort ,

Considering Roffey and Green met with him a week ago or whatever they obviously thought they could get him/ had him

Man I'm sick of listening to Gawn, "I don't see what the big deal is"
Um maybe that your president and CEO said we didn't need a review and then a week later we are having one? It's not like this was some planned review we always have it's a face saving exercise
As good a player as he is he is what's wrong with the club, arrogance and everything is alright attitude when it clearly isnt, maybe you should be talking to your younger teammates rather than thinking/telling them to all share the same attitude as you about the coach and the club.

Considering Roffey and Green met with him a week ago or whatever they obviously thought they could get him/ had him
When this was initially reported the feel seemed to be that Smith would take the empty board seat at the end of the year and Roffey would finish her term before handing over to Smith in 12 months time. At some point the expectation from the media seems to have shifted so that was happening much quicker so then that became Smith knocking us back?

It's the same as the review, the club hasn't actually ever said they're doing an external review we heard that from the media then we got more info coming out that Pert and Green are involved and we're just calling it a review. I'm guessing its the same review as before but we just asked Shand if he'd help us out with it in the past week or so. So we keep getting all these half truths which are then later corrected and we're left to work it out for ourselves.

We haven't even heard Green speak since becoming the new president it's a complete mess.

As good a player as he is he is what's wrong with the club, arrogance and everything is alright attitude when it clearly isnt, maybe you should be talking to your younger teammates rather than thinking they all share the same attitude as you about the coach and the club.
He absolutely drinks from the same Kool aid as Pert and Roffey

As good a player as he is he is what's wrong with the club
I've never forgiven him for getting his crappy comedian mate to do that cringey "MAKE MORE NOISE" video.

Email from the club:

Dear Members,

There is no shying away from the fact that the 2024 AFL season has been a disappointing one for our football club. Our expectation was that we had the program and talent to be contending at the pointy end of the AFL season and we fell well short of this. In addition, we have again faced our challenges off the field and these events take their toll on our people, including our members.

While it hurts to be watching the on-field action at this time of year, we must quickly switch our mindset towards moving forward, both on and off the field, to ensure our AFL team climbs back up the ladder in 2025.

With this in mind, the club is conducting two separate reviews: one of its Board and one of its men’s football program.

The Board review follows the recent transition from Kate Roffey to Brad Green in the role of President. As is common practice, the review is being led by an external independent expert, involves the President and all current Directors, and will benchmark the Board against best practice.

The review of the men’s football department is focusing on the operations and overarching environment of the AFL program. This review is being conducted by President Brad Green, CEO Gary Pert and external consultant Darren Shand.

For more than two decades, Darren served as the All Blacks Manager and was a crucial driver in creating and maintaining the environment which shaped the New Zealand All Blacks into the world’s most successful international sports team. Throughout his time as All Blacks Manager, the team won back-to-back World Cup tournaments in 2011 and 2015, and also won the Tri Nations and subsequent Rugby Championship six times.

Darren is already familiar with our program, having spent time in the club earlier this year observing all elements of the men’s football program.

While it will identify areas in which we need to get better, we believe it will also highlight many positive elements of our AFL program, and why we should head into next season with well-founded optimism about what we can achieve.

The ambition of both review processes is to strive for excellence and to ensure, that as our game demands, we evolve to achieve sustained success.

This ambition can only be achieved with alignment and commitment to our values of trust, respect, unity and excellence.

The reviews of both the AFL program and the Board will be completed in October and the priorities identified will be communicated to our members.

Your Board, CEO Gary Pert and the club’s leaders are committed to doing all we can to make the members of this great club proud to belong and we are confident these reviews will bring key insights to assist us in delivering on this commitment.

The Melbourne Football Club Board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"... we believe it will also highlight many positive elements of our AFL program, and why we should head into next season with well-founded optimism about what we can achieve..."

:thumbsupv1: :thumbsupv1: :thumbsupv1:

3 things to fix the brand
Id say bring back the demon logo too but I dont want this club to do it while the people in charge are here, they deserve to be associated with cringe like Demon Spirit, much like Schwab did with Fisted Forever.

Email from the club:
The most cringe shit ive ever read.

"... we believe it will also highlight many positive elements of our AFL program, and why we should head into next season with well-founded optimism about what we can achieve..."

:thumbsupv1: :thumbsupv1: :thumbsupv1:
SMH. Such a waste of time. Im just guessing here, but I reckon the review will find Pert, Green and Goodwin are the right people for the job.

I assume that Pert's role is part of the board review. Would be funny if he was the only person in the club who wasn't reviewed.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's set up that way, get the feeling he's a micro manager much like Schwab was. Wants to be/is the puppet master.

If I hear 'Proud to Belong' one more time :$
I like how they squeezed that in there.

I would have gone with a line about how the review would be 'making some noise' in our football department.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's set up that way, get the feeling he's a micro manager much like Schwab was. Wants to be/is the puppet master.
Was interesting that they didn't mention exactly who would be doing the board review only that they were external. Still making some phone calls?

Isn't Greeny doing that?
From the email:
The Board review follows the recent transition from Kate Roffey to Brad Green in the role of President. As is common practice, the review is being led by an external independent expert, involves the President and all current Directors, and will benchmark the Board against best practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back