Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that confirmed somewhere?
Green said board renewal would be the focus of his presidency and flagged the possibility that his leadership would be for the short term if a suitable candidate was found.

Former Melbourne Cricket Club president Stephen Smith has been heavily linked to a board role in recent weeks.

“I have told my colleagues that I will lead the review process and once it is completed I would like to give the Board the opportunity to vote again on the Presidency.

“This will be a collaborative reset of the Board and it’s important that we are honest with each other about where we have succeeded, and where we could have done better.

“There is no doubt that we need to turn the faith and belief of our members and fans into results and performance, and the Board stands at the top of that process."

Hey Roffey!

Ice Cube Friday GIF

Bye bye Roffey, you useless waste of corporate speaking and box ticking space.

- Before someone jumps down my throat as being misogynist, this has nothing to do with her gender, and everything to do with her pure incompetency and flat out terrible contribution to the role and club.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out (and yes, we’re all loudly cheering you out)

Last edited:
Scared of the independent review and a potential board challenge I'd say. Let's look like we are doing something now. Perty and others trying to save themselves.
Roffey should have seen the writing on the wall. She doesn’t seem the sort to have fallen on her sword though. My guess is it was a “Jump before you’re pushed” scenario.

There had to be at least one head to roll out of all of this.

With a new president post Green’s stint I reckon Pert will be on thin ice, and then Goodwin on notice too.

It’s what the club needed.

Not surprised by Green in the slightest. I feel like he's been groomed for a bigger role almost since he joined the board

If i'd had the balls to say it last week, i was going to say, i bet Green is silently firming for it. Nothing takes the stink off for a small period than a liked ex player taking over

Obviously a stand in, but a PR move to save some face until someone proper comes in

If Green stayed on then i also wouldn't expect a heap of change with Green, it's still the same board. Green towed the same lines under Roffey, Supports Goodwin Staunchly, Rips into any negative media on the club, constantly hypes up anything good, deflects. I'm not expecting significant change if he stays on, nor will i be surprised if Pert stays on if that's the case. The common supporters will oooh and ahhhh for a offseason before remembering it's still mostly the same people.

Not surprised by Green in the slightest. I feel like he's been groomed for a bigger role almost since he joined the board

If i'd had the balls to say it last week, i was going to say, i bet Green is silently firming for it. Nothing takes the stink off for a small period than a liked ex player taking over

Obviously a stand in, but a PR move to save some face until someone proper comes in

If Green stayed on then i also wouldn't expect a heap of change with Green, it's still the same board. Green towed the same lines under Roffey, Supports Goodwin Staunchly, Rips into any negative media on the club, constantly hypes up anything good, deflects. I'm not expecting significant change if he stays on, nor will i be surprised if Pert stays on if that's the case. The common supporters will oooh and ahhhh for a offseason before remembering it's still mostly the same people.

You may be right , but let us have this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bye bye Roffey, you useless waste of corporate speaking and box ticking space.

- Before someone jumps down my throat as being misogynist, this has nothing to do with her gender, and everything to do with her pure incompetency and flat out terrible contribution to the role and club.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out (and yes, we’re all loudly cheering you out)
I’ll have a stronger go and I don’t care if anyone calls me a misogynist because I know I’m not.

This was a classic case of being put in the role because you’re a woman, not because you have the credentials or performance results.

And I say that with some actual knowledge of Kate, it’s not just an opinion formed from afar.

Anyway I have no personal vendetta here and wish her all the best, but I’m also very pleased with the change as we desperately need strong leadership now.

This was a classic case of being put in the role because you’re a woman, not because you have the credentials or performance results.
That's a pretty big statement to make – I'd hope you have something to substantiate it, otherwise it does seem quite misogynistic. Willing to give you the benefit of the doubt though as it's not the sort of thing you've thrown around in the past.

I'm no Roffey fan (clearly); however, her ability to perform/not perform in the role is not tied to her gender whatsoever, and I'd be amazed if she was 'put in the role because she's a woman'.

That's a pretty big statement to make – I'd hope you have something to substantiate it, otherwise it does seem quite misogynistic. Willing to give you the benefit of the doubt though as it's not the sort of thing you've thrown around in the past.

I'm no Roffey fan (clearly); however, her ability to perform/not perform in the role is not tied to her gender whatsoever, and I'd be amazed if she was 'put in the role because she's a woman'.
I’ve been posting around here for long enough for everyone to know my style. I’m not a jerk.

A good friend of mine who holds a senior role in a top end Collins St funds management business recently said to me herself - it’s very fashionable to be a middle aged woman in the corporate world at the moment.

And yes I don’t believe Kate has done anything in her corporate life to merit a chair of the board role for an AFL club. And I also don’t believe she’s done a good job as the Melbourne president, although that is just my personal opinion. There were better options available.

I’ve been posting around here for long enough for everyone to know my style. I’m not a jerk.

A good friend of mine who holds a senior role in a top end Collins St funds management business recently said to me herself - it’s very fashionable to be a middle aged woman in the corporate world at the moment.

And yes I don’t believe Kate has done anything in her corporate life to merit a chair of the board role for an AFL club. And I also don’t believe she’s done a good job as the Melbourne president, although that is just my personal opinion. There were better options available.
I know you're not a jerk, hence why I went in to bat for you on the Freo board last week (though didn't tag you, so you might not have seen it).

I just think it's a bit of a sweeping and potentially problematic generalisation. I also thought Roffey was a failure as President, but qualifications and experience-wise, there was merit in her appointment. Certainly a shit ton more than Green, though I realise he's likely to be an interim measure.

I know you're not a jerk, hence why I went in to bat for you on the Freo board last week (though didn't tag you, so you might not have seen it).

I just think it's a bit of a sweeping and potentially problematic generalisation. I also thought Roffey was a failure as President, but qualifications and experience-wise, there was merit in her appointment. Certainly a shit ton more than Green, though I realise he's likely to be an interim measure.
Fair play. Maybe I’m a bit out of line - I’ve just had second hand association with her in the business world and never rated.

I’ll head over to the Freo board for a look. Which thread?

This misogyny talk is all crap. We freely crap on Goody for being a crap coach, doesn't matter if he is a man, woman, or alien. Same goes for Roffey. If you are shit at your job, you are shit at your job. Gender doesn't matter at all and you should be held accountable.
The fact she can call herself a premiership president is a joke. Stepped in midway through a covid year, did **** all as the club was in bubbles and hubs and then disappeared as soon as we started losing the next year.

This misogyny talk is all crap. We freely crap on Goody for being a crap coach, doesn't matter if he is a man, woman, or alien. Same goes for Roffey. If you are shit at your job, you are shit at your job. Gender doesn't matter at all and you should be held accountable.
Thank you! Yes that’s what I think too.

There are a bunch of people at the Dees who have absolutely copped it (largely rightfully) this year and sex isn’t mentioned.

Simply, Kate Roffey has done a shit job in my opinion and should never have been appointed in the first place, but for the political turmoil that was coming and the club wanted a president with the most Teflon coating they could find.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread General MFC Discussion IV – Roffey Out, Green In, Smith a No, "External" (lol) Review, AFL's Largest Membership Drop and Lowest Social Media Growth 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back