Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost in Space, well not quite, we'll find out soon if Butch and Suni are stuck in space.

Added: NASA have announced Butch and Suni are having a stay over, a real long stay over until next year when they will return to Earth in a crewed Dragon. Starliner will be come back to Earth under remote control. More bad PR for Boeing.

Last edited:
Scientist have measured Earths global electric field for the first time. This has been suspected for a long time because there was evidence of ions escaping above the poles. Nice animation in the vid. The field has a strength of only half a volt but is able to fling ions into space.

Who here thinks we’re close to finding alien lifeforms? Personally, I think we’re getting close to it. Reckon in the next 25 years, we’ll find alien lifeforms. The James Web Telescope has made some amazing discoveries. The next telescope will probably find life if the JWT doesn’t

Who here thinks we’re close to finding alien lifeforms? Personally, I think we’re getting close to it. Reckon in the next 25 years, we’ll find alien lifeforms. The James Web Telescope has made some amazing discoveries. The next telescope will probably find life if the JWT doesn’t
I was at a ‘star party’ recently and a top Australian astronomer there was talking about the next two telescopes being built and they sounded awesome. We think jwt is amazing the next one which is land based I believe, is I think 6 times more powerful and will be able to probe deep dark space.

My guess is simple life will be extraordinarily common, perhaps even elsewhere in the solar system.
Agreed which was the basis for my question
Larger life much less common and sentients very rare.
I think the Goldilocks planets will be the best bet but the conditions must be a mirror of ours and I cant see that. Dont expect lung functioning beings as an example

Agreed which was the basis for my question

I think the Goldilocks planets will be the best bet but the conditions must be a mirror of ours and I cant see that. Dont expect lung functioning beings as an example
The way life got going so quickly on Earth, within 500 million years of it's formation suggests to me that planets in the goldilocks zone, if they have liquid water will nearly always form life. Ancient Mars, which was wetter and warmer may have formed simple life early on. That's probably one of the reasons it's of such scientific interest. Here it looks like the earliest life may have started around volcanic vents and they didn't need oxygen at all, in fact it was poison to them.

AC DC sang 'It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll', and that is certainly true of complex life, it took another 4 billion years to evolve folks who can make Fender guitars and along the way there was a lot of events that had to happen for Earth to support active, high energy organisms. I suspect this is uncommon. It's a wonderful story, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back