General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

I do love Breast stroking☺️ but no, I was a butterfly swimmer.
Was close to making the team in 88 as a 14yr Old and again in 92.
I gave it away after the trials in 92 as an 18yr old which is very young to give it away but I just wanted to start earning some money of my own rather than relying on my Parents for everything.

Went to the 1991 Pacific Games in Canada which was big in its day and some World Cup meets over in Europe in 90
That's an outstanding achievement Dalions. Butterfly is just next level imo , requires strength/timing/phyisicality/discipline.

Anyone who achieves a medal in any of the traditional Olympic sports has climbed a mountain . You only get one shot every 4 years so a lot has to go right just to get there.

Fwiiw I think there are now far too many 'sports' on the Olympic Program. They're just in there to fill up TV space.

To see the golfers and tennis players who choose to go pooncing around as Olympians when they play for huge purses every week of the year just downgrades the status of the event . As for skateboarding and a few of the others , they just don't rate as Olympic worthy in my view.

To see the golfers and tennis players who choose to go pooncing around as Olympians when they play for huge purses every week of the year just downgrades the status of the event . As for skateboarding and a few of the others , they just don't rate as Olympic worthy in my view.
Skateboarding is one I don't mind as much - it's all style, so it fits into the rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming mode fairly easily. Not particularly interesting to watch, but not out of place (and probably more in place than some that are just there because of history). Break dancing is a bit funny though.

So was flicking around last night and they had 3 on 3 basketball using a half court. I mean WTF. There’s legitimate sports not in the Olympics yet they already have basketball and not there is an abbreviated version of the game as well. Talk about ****ing ridiculous.
Truth be told, proper basketball should just be half a court. They don't even use the middle half as it is.

Truth be told, proper basketball should just be half a court. They don't even use the middle half as it is.
The middle bit is just to tire them out from going up and back.

Skateboarding is one I don't mind as much - it's all style, so it fits into the rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming mode fairly easily. Not particularly interesting to watch, but not out of place (and probably more in place than some that are just there because of history). Break dancing is a bit funny though.
I think the games need to cater to what is popular and cultural shifts in sports as well.
Skateboarding absolutely should be in before something stupid like dressage or **** it all the equine events that are for the most part only for rich people.

That's an outstanding achievement Dalions. Butterfly is just next level imo , requires strength/timing/phyisicality/discipline.

Anyone who achieves a medal in any of the traditional Olympic sports has climbed a mountain . You only get one shot every 4 years so a lot has to go right just to get there.

Fwiiw I think there are now far too many 'sports' on the Olympic Program. They're just in there to fill up TV space.

I actually think before removing sports (and I hate it because it would lessen our medal tally significantly) that the swimming events in particular the different strokes should be cut down massively. Butterfly is the stupidest stroke invented (no offence Dalions , not have a go at your impressive achievements, Butterfly is without a doubt the most difficult stroke) it is incredibly energy sapping and is still slower than freestyle. I am almost in the camp of get rid of all of it bar freestyle.
Michael Phelps is, in the mainstream world regarded as the greatest swimmer of all time and/or the greatest Olympian of all time but discounting his relay medals he 'only' won one freestyle gold medal. That is to say that the 'greatest Olympian ever' was only ever the fastest man in the pool over a certain distance once. That to me isn't completely logical.
In the same way I don't think the walk (forgetting the goofy and inefficient technique) should be in it. It's nowhere near as fast as running and its the same distance (more or less) as the marathon, so what is the point?
Having said the above, I do quite actually enjoy watching the swimming, regardless of the stroke. Also I have an issue, whether ill-informed or not of Phelps being the greatest Olympian when he was in his dominant run, never really the fastest man in the pool.

I agree with you about Golf, it doesn't feel to me like a sport that should be in the Olympics but it is one of the most popular sports in the world. I believe Cricket is going to be in the next games and as one of the most popular sports in the world, it probably should be in a shortened format. IE 20/20. The IOC and the cities that host the games need to bring in big crowds and sports like soccer, tennis and cricket will do that which is probably the main reason those sports are in despite not being the biggest or the best prize in those sports.

Yeah that 5m is really gonna wear them out 😂

15.5 yards (~14 metres) between the three point arcs * 180 shots a game = ~1.5 miles per game, or ~2.5 km. It adds up!

I think the games need to cater to what is popular and cultural shifts in sports as well.
Skateboarding absolutely should be in before something stupid like dressage or **** it all the equine events that are for the most part only for rich people.
But it's the effort and expertise and excellence it takes to compete in equine events. That's so much harder than skateboarding. Yes it takes money, but tbh a lot of the competitors are people from less privileged backgrounds who are just great horsemen (women). Plus it's pure and drugs ain't going to help you.

When that Chinese swimmer cut 2 seconds off his time struggling into the 100m final and winning by a body length something died inside of me. Because it's just not humanly possible.

I actually think before removing sports (and I hate it because it would lessen our medal tally significantly) that the swimming events in particular the different strokes should be cut down massively. Butterfly is the stupidest stroke invented (no offence Dalions , not have a go at your impressive achievements, Butterfly is without a doubt the most difficult stroke) it is incredibly energy sapping and is still slower than freestyle. I am almost in the camp of get rid of all of it bar freestyle.
Michael Phelps is, in the mainstream world regarded as the greatest swimmer of all time and/or the greatest Olympian of all time but discounting his relay medals he 'only' won one freestyle gold medal. That is to say that the 'greatest Olympian ever' was only ever the fastest man in the pool over a certain distance once. That to me isn't completely logical.
In the same way I don't think the walk (forgetting the goofy and inefficient technique) should be in it. It's nowhere near as fast as running and its the same distance (more or less) as the marathon, so what is the point?
Having said the above, I do quite actually enjoy watching the swimming, regardless of the stroke. Also I have an issue, whether ill-informed or not of Phelps being the greatest Olympian when he was in his dominant run, never really the fastest man in the pool.

I agree with you about Golf, it doesn't feel to me like a sport that should be in the Olympics but it is one of the most popular sports in the world. I believe Cricket is going to be in the next games and as one of the most popular sports in the world, it probably should be in a shortened format. IE 20/20. The IOC and the cities that host the games need to bring in big crowds and sports like soccer, tennis and cricket will do that which is probably the main reason those sports are in despite not being the biggest or the best prize in those sports.
Apropos to your comments the purest and most outstanding physical attributes for humans are to swim and run fast.

Therefore the 50/100m swim and 100m sprint are the elite events at the games. The test of who can swim and run the fastest. The ultimate test since the Garden of Eden.

The other strokes and distances in swimming require different strength and endurance capacities that are still ultra competitive and admirable.

But I'm dismayed about what happened this morning. Why couldn't they just leave that alone

Apropos to your comments the purest and most outstanding physical attributes for humans are to swim and run fast.

Therefore the 50/100m swim and 100m sprint are the elite events at the games. The test of who can swim and run the fastest. The ultimate test since the Garden of Eden.

The other strokes and distances in swimming require different strength and endurance capacities that are still ultra competitive and admirable.

But I'm dismayed about what happened this morning. Why couldn't they just leave that alone
What happened this morning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bayer 04 Dance GIF by Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Gone off Football/Soccer a fair bit of late but would love to see Ange's Tottenham Hotspurs doing something memorable this season... top 4 and Champions League footy would be nice plus a Cup Final win for a first trophy in a long while would be icing on the cake.

Gone off Football/Soccer a fair bit of late but would love to see Ange's Tottenham Hotspurs doing something memorable this season... top 4 and Champions League footy would be nice plus a Cup Final win for a first trophy in a long while would be icing on the cake.
**** Ange and **** Tottenham I hope they win nothing and finish 10th.

Bored, and watching a bit of college football on ESPN, and the commentary mentions the punter for Notre Dame is 24 year old James Rendell, Matt Rendell's son.
Dunno if this is news, but was news to me. The punter for Ohio State is Joe Mcguire son of Ed

Remove this Banner Ad

General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back