Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

It raises the question as to whether we can "carry" his slowness now?
I reckon the issue with his speed now isn't with ball-in-hand because we do have a number of good running players - it's getting hurt the other way. We do have a fairly attack-minded midfield, and so the question of coverage is important.

However, finals aren't played with end-to-end footy (generally), and so I'd be keen to keep him in. What the hell - I've been keen to have him in the side since Jimmy moved out of the centre square.

All hyperbole aside, easily his best game for the club.
I reckon he's played a few like that, but just has a bad week or two and goes out of the side. Last year against St Kilda was similar, and there was also a night game against Hawthorn where he was pretty good (I think it was the one where Rioli kicked six).

I reckon he's played a few like that, but just has a bad week or two and goes out of the side. Last year against St Kilda was similar, and there was also a night game against Hawthorn where he was pretty good (I think it was the one where Rioli kicked six).
Yep, he has played a handful similar to last night. Just not for a while.

BC909EE3-45FC-4695-891E-6A43BC460851.jpeg

Is it just me or did he not seem as slow last night? Looked to covering the ground pretty well to me. It may however just have been an illusion because the pace and hardness of the game did not allow so much for faster players to get clean breaks. In any case he makes good decisions and gets to the right spots despite being slow.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

GHS has games like that in him the problem is his bad games are very bad.

When he can give off those good hand balls in close then he is worthy of being in the team because his kicking and decision making is generally top class.

GHS has games like that in him the problem is his bad games are very bad.
They're not Murdoch or Parsons level anonymous, though.

I think his main issue in terms of selection is that he plays one role and one only - this also hurts the amount of time he spends on the ground in any one game. Murda, on the other hand, plays forward (like he did this week), back (like in round one) and mid (like before we recruited Dangerwood) and hence can be gifted games a little.

They're not Murdoch or Parsons level anonymous, though.

I think his main issue in terms of selection is that he plays one role and one only - this also hurts the amount of time he spends on the ground in any one game. Murda, on the other hand, plays forward (like he did this week), back (like in round one) and mid (like before we recruited Dangerwood) and hence can be gifted games a little.

Cant be anonymous as an inside mid. The problem is he starts giving sloppy handballs and his defensive pressure really shows more when he is fumbling and turning it over.

Cant be anonymous as an inside mid. The problem is he starts giving sloppy handballs and his defensive pressure really shows more when he is fumbling and turning it over.
The double-handling has been a real problem in the past, so critical for his role. It was far, far better last night - especially that second goal.

I've had a warm spot for GHS since his locker room interview after the VFL grand final win. He was very impressive and all the stories from the club since have been glowing, in a non-puff sense, about his attitude and as a person. He has worked hard to lessen the gap between his physical deficiencies and what is required to play in the ones. I think he can only make it there if he is given the right role with the right players around him.

Yep, he has played a handful similar to last night. Just not for a while.

View attachment 486451

I've always thought that we seem to look like a better side when GHS is playing, and that W/L ratio there seems to back that up.

His lack of speed is overstated, and we have plenty of quick players anyway. A lot of our golden era of players weren't overly quick either - Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Corey etc.

I'd much, much rather GHS be there compared to quicker players like Murdoch, Parsons etc. It allows Danger/Ablett to go forward, and I've always wanted to see how GHS would go further up forward as well considering he's very good at finding the ball in front of goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be in Adelaide or Sydney next year, bookmark it.

Well, given his quality performance last weekend at the Adelaide Oval and his demolition job on Kennedy at the SCG going back a few years, I definitely agree he will be in the selection mix for our interstate trips to these venues next year.

It's actually quite conceivable that he could get picked for both trips in the end.

Sydney would be perfect for him... I look forward to us getting an R2 for him :rolleyes:..

Sister lives there and was his preference last year but GFC couldn’t get a deal
done. Might have to settle for 3rd rounder unless his game time and performances continue on from last weeks cameo appearance, who knows!!!

A knock on GWS is not having role players to do jobs across the ground. If George can play his role happy for him to stay in the team. Can’t see why he couldn’t spend some time forward as he can kick goals. I hope Ablett spends a lot more time forward when he’s back. What we do seem to have now is a lot more depth than we have for a long time. Regardless of who’s in a given week knowing there are players that can come in and play is important.

Sister lives there and was his preference last year but GFC couldn’t get a deal
done. Might have to settle for 3rd rounder unless his game time and performances continue on from last weeks cameo appearance, who knows!!!

Honestly Id look at what else they had to trade. Another late pick for us wouldn't help us much unless we have 3 FS's coming. Maybe an ex Falcons wants to come home or a 3 way can be done... The most likely is we get near nothing like we did for Lang last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back