George R R Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully we get a bit more on Catelyn/Stoneheart in ADWD. She's going to be far less irritating hunting Frey's than she was previously.:D

There's spoiler chapters for Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Asha and Davos at this forum;
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=14

you reckon he will ever get around to finishing it ?

i'm think of going to buy the second series of Stephen Dolanldson chronicles of thomas covenant, atleast he finished the series

Anything more annoying waiting for another installment of a great series? That same announcement has been up on his site since 15/02/07. Considering this next book is in parallel with AFFC, I would have thought he would have already had a very good idea of what was happening as he wrote AFFC and it would have been one of the faster books to write. Oh well, hopefully soon....

Anything more annoying waiting for another installment of a great series? That same announcement has been up on his site since 15/02/07.

Another update has just been posted, where Martin is hoping to have the book finished by June 2008. A new chapter has also been posted on his website.

Anything more annoying waiting for another installment of a great series?
Unless you've just started reading fantasy you should be used to it. ;)

I started reading Wheel of Time almost 16 years ago and now waiting for another author to finish the last book, started reading Fiests Midkemia stuff 22 years ago (!), Shannara books by Brooks almost 20 years ago, Sword of Truth around a decade ago, etc. etc.

The price we pay for reading stories that aren't over before you just start being interested in the plot and characters.

Anything more annoying waiting for another installment of a great series? That same announcement has been up on his site since 15/02/07. Considering this next book is in parallel with AFFC, I would have thought he would have already had a very good idea of what was happening as he wrote AFFC and it would have been one of the faster books to write. Oh well, hopefully soon....

Delayed delayed delayed. It's giving me the shits.

He's going to die of heart disease before the next book is written. Fat f*cker.

Lost interest in the wait for Feast for Crows... the guy knows his fans are waiting, and then goes on like a 5 month book tour!

I think he just milking it for all he is worth... considering the look of him he'll drop off the perch if he is only writing one book per 5 years!

Lost interest in the wait for Feast for Crows... the guy knows his fans are waiting, and then goes on like a 5 month book tour!

I think he just milking it for all he is worth... considering the look of him he'll drop off the perch if he is only writing one book per 5 years!

agreed

i really enjoyed the first few books, I put them above other stuff I had read (even Eddings - he was a childhood favorite) but this bullshit he is into now is just plain wrong. I realise you can't rush creativity but **** me you could atleast try.

Its dissappointing because a guy like Erikson, whose high fantasy is just as good as Martin's (imho) can turn out a 1000 page book in a year, yet Martin is carrying on like a porkchop about doing 1 book for 600 pages! I realize the level of his writing is pretty bloody high, but still... The guy is happy to produce a hedge knight book for some quick $$$.

Its dissappointing because a guy like Erikson, whose high fantasy is just as good as Martin's (imho) can turn out a 1000 page book in a year, yet Martin is carrying on like a porkchop about doing 1 book for 600 pages! I realize the level of his writing is pretty bloody high, but still... The guy is happy to produce a hedge knight book for some quick $$$.

don't forget Wild Aces and other crap thats a quick sell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddings is fanastic for someone who has never read fantasy - but reading it like 10 years after i first read it... its a good yarn but the depth just isn't there.

Agreed with that. Was one of the first fantasy books I read and I really enjoyed it, but when I go back to read it there's not as much magic to it. Still a good read though.

Martin has finally admitted defeat and after ****ing around for over 5 years has brought in a writing partner to complete A Dance With Dragons.

Classic case of ambition exceeding talent. His first three books were great, but he has proven unable to cope since. He has only published one book in the series in 10 years, and that was a complete lemon.

I suppose the good news is that if Martin carks it like Jordan did then at least there is someone to complete the series.

martin has finally admitted defeat and after ****ing around for over 5 years has brought in a writing partner to complete a dance with dragons.

Classic case of ambition exceeding talent. His first three books were great, but he has proven unable to cope since. He has only published one book in the series in 10 years, and that was a complete lemon.

I suppose the good news is that if martin carks it like jordan did then at least there is someone to complete the series.

april fooool

Can't believe I fell for it, usually I don't believe any news posted on April 1st... although I actually read it on April 2nd hence my guard was down.

Pity nobody else is on board cos this lazy, greedy fat **** won't finish the series before he dies.

He's more a brand now than an author. I don't think he'll live long enough to finish the ASOIAF series - if he's even working on it.

I think the weight of expectation is getting to him..struggling to finish the book. A feast for crows was not as good as the 1st three books, hopefully this one makes up for it. Maybe I'll start reading wheel of time.. any other good fantasy recommendations? All I've read are Feist and Martin, and they are considered to be pretty much the best.

I think the weight of expectation is getting to him..struggling to finish the book.

Nah, ambition has exceeded talent.

Maybe I'll start reading wheel of time.. any other good fantasy recommendations? All I've read are Feist and Martin, and they are considered to be pretty much the best.

Definitely read WOT, also highly recommend Robin Hobb... her Farseer, Livship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies are brilliant.

Nah, ambition has exceeded talent.

Definitely read WOT, also highly recommend Robin Hobb... her Farseer, Livship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies are brilliant.
Second reading WOT - there's a slow patch across books 8 - 10, but IMO the best fantasy series out there, no one else has done such a job of not just telling a story, but 'painting' a world. Though Martin should learn from Jordan's illness - take forever to finish a story and you won't live to finish it yourself.

As for Hobb - her Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies are amongst the best out there. The Liveship Traders though - reading them is painful.

Other recommendations - Jennifer Fallon - The Hyrathun and Demon Child trilogies are good.

If you can get past the fact he stole a bunch of ideas from Jordan, then the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind is good - especially book 6 - Faith of the Fallen - I'd go so far as to say this book should be compulsory reading for anyone with the slightest Left leanings to teach them some lessons.

And if you like fantasy, but don't need to read 'epic' fantasy then grab some Forgotten Realms novels - there's close to 200 of them now, so they'll keep you occupied between waiting for the big authors next releases.

"Finished a Jon Snow chapter, and have just passed the 1100 page (manuscript pages, the page count in the final printed book will be different) mark on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. That's counting only finished chapters in something close to final form. I have considerably more in partials, fragments, and roughs.

Even with just the finished portions, DANCE is now longer than A FEAST FOR CROWS and A GAME OF THRONES, and I'm closing in on A CLASH OF KINGS. I do hope I can wrap things up before I approach the 1521 page length of A STORM OF SWORDS.

Making a new run at the Meereenese knot, but maybe not tomorrow. I think I'll hang around at the Wall a bit longer, and maybe visit Winterfell."

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Remove this Banner Ad

George R R Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back