Georgian Captain: I think we will win all the matches!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I just came across this article. I thought it was fantastic that they're not just coming here settling to aim for one victory and are willing to give their best against every opposition. It's even greater to see some Aussies in Perth adopting the minnows from Georgia to give them some support for the cup. I read about this fan group a few weeks ago. There should be more of them.

Team takes its place at glamour event

By Tim Clarke
Thursday, October 2, 2003 Print this article
Email to a friend

Rugby World Cup minnows Georgia made the stunning claim they could win all their matches after arriving in Australia yesterday.

Just getting to the prestigious tournament has been a major achievement for the 'Lelos', who had to overcome Russia in a play-off and then battle financial difficulties to qualify.

But after being greeted in Perth by a group of supporters bearing their country's colours, Georgian captain Ilia Zedguinidze said his team were not just in the country to sight-see.

"For us the thing is to play, to show first all of our possibilities," Zedguinidze told reporters.

"I think we will win all the matches - our determination is to win all the matches and we will see what will happen.

"We will play each of our matches in the World Cup with the same determination, but we know the teams that Georgia has beaten before this World Cup are not of the level of the teams we are going to meet."

Georgia begin their momentous task against England at Subiaco Oval on October 12, before facing Samoa a week later, South Africa on October 25 and Uruguay on October 28.

Despite their minnow status, Zedguinidze said the players would not be daunted by the occasion.

"We will try our best to beat England. As for the other teams I don't think we have either easy or hard matches - all matches have the same intensity for us," he said.

Georgia's place in the tournament was thrown into doubt as late as last week, with the squad threatened with ejection from their hotel at their French training base near Montpellier unless a bill was paid.

The Georgian Rugby Union was believed to be heavily in debt following its participation in the 2003 European Cup of Nations.

Zedguinidze will not take the field in Georgia's opening clash against pre-tournament favourites England, after suffering a head injury in its 31-22 loss to Italy on September 6.

But the influential No.8 said that despite the monetary problems suffered by the country's rugby officials, this had not affected the players' build-up.

"We have financial difficulties, but the players have always been preparing for the World Cup - and they were thinking only about the tournament."

The greeting for the Georgians in Perth delighted the captain, who said interest in the tournament was at fever pitch back home.

"We have learned in Georgia that there is a fan club for us in Australia. It is a great pleasure to see Georgian flags behind us, and their support will help us in the games," the captain said.

"We have five million inhabitants in Georgia and we feel all five million persons behind us. They will give us the force."

Yeah I read his comments as well you've got to admire his attitude, hope they do beat South africa, the way they are at the moment I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

BTW can anyone explain to me George Gregan's comments that were to the effect that if Australia don't win the world cup he doesn't care who does as long as it's not England?

I don't understand what we've done to upset the little pr1ck, surely SA should ahve p1ssed him off more for some of the thuggery they showed recently & for spying on the Wallabies practice session, what have England doen to upset him apart from being English?

It seems like every world cup everyone likes taking pot shots at England & having a good chuckle when we lose, the Scotland players actually turned up to the 1991 WC final wearing Australian scarves.

Dipper, I haven't seen the comment but if he did say that then I can see where you're coming from.

It's probably a positive for your lads anyway. It'll give them some extra motivation. I think the whole hating England thing comes from the perceived arrogance of the English team, well maybe not the team but Clive Woodward, although he has been strangely humble leading up to this tournament - at least for his standards.

It's great though, England are just the team we like to hate and I'm sure the English like to hate the Wallabies too. The attitude of Clive Woodward is arrogant and overbearing but we in Australia wouldn't have it any other way. If he was like John Mitchell, not saying anything but the normal cliches it'd be dull.

Great article.

I sure Georgia is going to be a popular side in Australia. All the hardships they have gone through just to get here is quite inspirational.

Has anybody seen this article? read. This is just so wrong. Getting sacked because you put your country before your club is just not what rugby is all about.

By the way anybody know how to pronouce the Georgian names? I'm just thinking when Georgia play Samoa, who ever is commentating is going to get tongue tied ever sentence :D

Dipper, its England mate!

It all stems from colonial times. We hate (in a fun way) the English because of the past. You guys sent your dirty laundry here, and the rebel attitude towards the English has been passed down for the last 200 years.

England invented rugby, but they haven't won the ultimate prize. Imagine if they do win it, you'll never hear the end of it, there will be an even more hatred (once again in a fun way) towards the English.

Good luck to the Georgian's, let's hope they get off to a (unlikely) great start by dumping England into a steaming pile of manure ...:D

I share Gregan's attitude, I don't care who wins it (even NZL) as long as England don't. Much of that feeling is due to Clive Woodward, I can't stand the arrogance and smugness of the bloke when England win. I respect him as a coach because let's face it he's probably the best going around (only because he spent all that time here with Manly!;) ) but I would very much enjoy it if England fell flat on their faces, just to see Clive Woodward squirm.

Let's face it, there's room for only one good, arrogant team to win at the World Cup, and that should be us!;)

Iverson, I read that article too and it's really dissapointing.

Hopefully the IRB do something about it after the WC. At least the Georgian players seem to be in good spirits about it. They really want to play for their country and it's great to see.

Thanks for the feedback on my question in regards to Gregan's comments.

I can't help having a little chuckle at how Woodward is percieved as being so arrogant over there, it must mean he's doing something right because when we send our cricketers over for their usual bashing all we read from the Aussie press (quite rightly really) is how pathetic they are & that there was even that time back in the 90s when there were even calls to make the Ashes a 3 Test series because England couldn't give your blokes a game.(not that they've have done for money reasons but it was a good excuse to rub our noses in the ****).The thing is they're never accused of arrogance because they're rubbish.

I think that we can't ever win really if we get beaten we're a joke & if we win then we're arrogant.:D

The thing is though there isn't actually any real evidence of this current England side being arrogant, they don't trash talk the opposition or celebrate too much when they win or even talk themselves up but I suppose you can't escape a stereotype.

Of course with Australia in every sport we have this 'special' relationship, you just have to have seen the reaction when you beat us at soccer earlier this year.:(

It's just I've noticed in rugby that everyone likes to get stuck into us, even countries that I never really thought we had any problem with.
When we went over to NZ this year before the game their press rubbished us & said we couldn't win away & then when we won they said we played sh*t rugby & we we're arrogant.
In one big article the reporter said '..we hate them & they hate us' which led to a bit of bemusement over here because I don't know anyone who hates NZ in fact most people don't have any particular opinion on them either way.

Already in the build up to this world cup & I've read some nobody Scottish front rower (who should know when to keep his mouth shut as a)his side is crap & b)we've smahed them out of sight regularly in the last decade) saying how he doesn't think that England will win the world cup because certain players won't be able to deal with the weather, when you consider that when we give the Scots their usual drubbing they're all blowing in the last 20 minutes whilst we usually run in a load of tries then its a silly comment.

Then the French coach has said that England won't win because we always fail at the final hurlde, I mean to me these comments seem arrogant & I'm sure if it was us saying them then we'd get called for it.

I'm not sure if Gregan's comments are the cleverest in the build up to the WC but for the record Clive Woodward has said that Australia are the team to beat so there you have it, arrogant Clive backs the Aussies-shock horror.;)

But I like your comment Mint Condition about Woodwards 'arrogance' & not having it any other way because it does spice it up a bit more & him & Eddie Jones really do seem to rub each other up the wrong way.

Anyway for once going into a rugby World Cup I really can say hand on heart I hope the best side wins.

PS I read an interview with Clive Woodward the other day & he said that behind the Aussie hatred of England he thinks that '...they rather like us really'-hehe I await your comments on that with anticipation!

Originally posted by DIPPER
PS I read an interview with Clive Woodward the other day & he said that behind the Aussie hatred of England he thinks that '...they rather like us really'-hehe I await your comments on that with anticipation!

Yeah, it's probably true. We just like to take the **** and vica verca I'm sure. I was in London on Australia day this year and me and a few mates had big Aussie top hats on and were making a bit of noise, singing Waltzing Matilda and that sort of thing on the underground trains and most people seemed to have a laugh at us.....had the **** taken out of us a bit but it was in good spirits.

The 'arrogance' of Clive Woodward comes about by his willingness to say what he thinks really. He's not afraid to give his team big compliments and like Eddie Jones he'll stick up for his players and make a bit of noise if their subjected to dirty Springbok (for example) play. He's probably more realistic really but as most coaches are so boringly humble his actions are relatively arrogant. I know among English Rugby supporters we're perceived as arrogant.

I agree with you that you can't win though. You're right........the poms are either arrogant or their pathetic...LOL it gives our media something to write about I guess.

Originally posted by Mint Condition
Iverson, I read that article too and it's really dissapointing.

Hopefully the IRB do something about it after the WC. At least the Georgian players seem to be in good spirits about it. They really want to play for their country and it's great to see.

I'm sure the Georgians are going to be favourites were ever they play. Look forward to seeing them score a try against England, they will get a huge cheer.

Pitty Georgia aren't heading my way otherwise I would love to go see them.

I'm seeing them twice mate! One that they could win (v Uruguay) and another which I hope they put up a good show in (v South Africa)

I've adopted them as my '2nd team.'

Mint, do you know there chant?

Its lelo lelo... something something - I forgot.

Checkout there jersey. Looks pretty cool.
Georgia.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe history has something to do with the fact that the world likes to see England getting beaten?

I'd honestly prefer any other team win the WC than England. Not because I hate England or English people, just because I think it's a natural state of mind to be in (it that makes any sense)

It's a bit like Man U in soccer. Why does everyone cheer against them, I mean they've never really done anything terrible to offend every other team have they? If anything, Liverpool should be the most hated team in England considering their record?

If I was English I'd love that everyone wants to see us beaten, it makes it more satisfying when you do win.

Btw Dipper, when you said that "You honestly hope the best team wins the WC", did you say that because England are the best team at the mo? (Be honest!)

Iverson, I don't know it. I saw a Perth supporters group practising their rendition of the chant and other Georgian songs on fox sports news the other night and it looked bloody difficult. They were getting trained by some Georgians.

I know the lelo lelo bit though. I think they've basically taken it to mean 'score' 'score.' I know they're called the Lelos because Rugby is in some ways similar to an old Georgian game of that name.

Originally posted by colin

Btw Dipper, when you said that "You honestly hope the best team wins the WC", did you say that because England are the best team at the mo? (Be honest!)

What do you think!:D

It's the first time I've felt going into a rugby WC that we are the best side in the world.

If I didn't think we we're best then I wouldn't want the best team to win would I?I'm not that much of a good sport.:p

It's good to see you back by the way, been a while.

As for everyone liking to see England beaten, we get it a bit in football & cricket but nowhere is it as bad as rugby.

I think the thing is that in rugby every country that plays is either a former colony/invaded country whatever you want to call it so they want to stick one on us & then of the other teams there's France & Argentina who obviously don't love us & South Africa who's Afrikaana element can't stand us.In fact I was glad that Italy joined the 5 Nations as at last there's a team who don't neccessarily have us enemy no1, it's probably a toss up between us & France in their minds.:D

I've just watched a RWC preview show on the telly & they've got Brain Moore in 95 going 'everyone hates us & I love it'.

Then they had Campo on putting us down, but in quite a funny way, but he couldn't get stuck in too much because he's signed up for the whole tournament, so we'll have to suffer him, hopes he's on when Wendell's playing though.

Yeah, it's probably true. We just like to take the **** and vica verca I'm sure. I was in London on Australia day this year and me and a few mates had big Aussie top hats on and were making a bit of noise, singing Waltzing Matilda and that sort of thing on the underground trains and most people seemed to have a laugh at us.....had the **** taken out of us a bit but it was in good spirits.

The 'arrogance' of Clive Woodward comes about by his willingness to say what he thinks really. He's not afraid to give his team big compliments and like Eddie Jones he'll stick up for his players and make a bit of noise if their subjected to dirty Springbok (for example) play. He's probably more realistic really but as most coaches are so boringly humble his actions are relatively arrogant. I know among English Rugby supporters we're perceived as arrogant.

I agree with you that you can't win though. You're right........the poms are either arrogant or their pathetic...LOL it gives our media something to write about I guess.

Yeah I agree, on the whole I think there's a good vibe between us, the sense of humour is identical, I think sometimes when sports involved the Aussie media gives us a hard time & it's easy to believe that it's more sinister & reflects an anti Englsih attitude amongst the people that is only really there in a minority.

Anyway what do you reckon for Friday's game?

Are you worried about an Argentinian shock or do you fancy a routine victory?

The Argies have played well all summer(you're winter) & definitely can't be taken for granted IMO, you don't want to be involved in too many scrummages.

Originally posted by DIPPER
Yeah I agree, on the whole I think there's a good vibe between us, the sense of humour is identical, I think sometimes when sports involved the Aussie media gives us a hard time & it's easy to believe that it's more sinister & reflects an anti Englsih attitude amongst the people that is only really there in a minority.

yes, thats why its so much better watching english comedy than the american trash (seinfeld + simpsons excluded)

Dipper, I'm slightly worried about the game against the Argies. Especially if they start well. If we can start well I think they're the kind of side that might sort of give up but if they're in it at half time it will be a very hard game to win.

I just fear them getting a lineout 5 metres out. I can see them scoring a couple of rolling maul tries. We have to be disciplined to win because there's no doubt that they'll give away a few penalties.

I'm sure you're equally worried about your first game against the might of the Georgians! Can they keep the flogging to around 50 or 60? or will they make a rare English century? :D

I wouldn't worry too much about not learning the Georgian chant.... If you ever get to chance to hear Georgian spoken, it's one of the most freakish-sounding languages going around. Even the Russians comment on how gutteral it sounds ;)

Dipper, I'm slightly worried about the game against the Argies. Especially if they start well. If we can start well I think they're the kind of side that might sort of give up but if they're in it at half time it will be a very hard game to win.

I just fear them getting a lineout 5 metres out. I can see them scoring a couple of rolling maul tries. We have to be disciplined to win because there's no doubt that they'll give away a few penalties.

I'm sure you're equally worried about your first game against the might of the Georgians! Can they keep the flogging to around 50 or 60? or will they make a rare English century? :D

Yeah a rare Englsih century down under that'd be ironic.:D

It's a good point about the rolling maul as well, it's something that I've noticed seems to have left the game a bit down there & in NZ, it's bloody hard to defend against when executed well, France, Argentina & us are still capable of causing a few problems with it I reckon.

Having the Argies firts up is definitely a tough start, no easing yourself in gently, which might not be a bad thing.

I see England have named the first choice line up for the Georgia game so there's no messing about there which is good, I only hope that the team isn't too old I mean we're a good 3 months older than when we won both Tests down there.;)

I'm not suprised England are playing their full side. It's been in the cards for a week or so. I'll bet that Clive won't play Johnny against Samoa though.

Anyway, I hope the Georgians can put up a bit of a fight......at least in the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Georgian Captain: I think we will win all the matches!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back