Get em or want em?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by carlyp

I think we could get him on the sly like this......
He nominates for the draft and we do a deal with the club that picks him up, likely carlton or st kilda, that way we could get him for a 2nd tier player! Could this be done?

No, it couldn't.

And other clubs aren't stupid. Theres no way you will get Headland if you are only prepared to lose Embley, Williams etc.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
Carly wouldn't trade Wirrapunda, even if they offered you Black and Headland.

Headland is worth 2 Wirrapundas, and the Eagles would be crazy not to do the deal if they offered Headland for Wirrapunda + 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I disagree, Wirrapunda is a champion. We need him!

I agree with Carly, Wirrpunda shouldn't be traded. He does an adequate job on the wing, trading him for Headland..well, i don't know. I'd just prefer if we kept Wirra AND picked up Headland. Probably wishful thinking to think we won't need to lose a quality player to get Headand.

How about this deal: Cox+2nd rd pick for Carltons #2 pick (I think Carlton would seriously consider that). Then ontrade our #10 pick plus Carltons #2 pick for Headland. Two top 10 picks for a back-to-back premiership winning team could be of very high value. (Alternatively, trade to Hawks for their 1st rd pick for same deal).

Down side would be that our 1st pick would be #42 (followed by #58, #72), with at least 3 players needed to be picked up in a weak draft.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
I agree with Carly, Wirrpunda shouldn't be traded. He does an adequate job on the wing, trading him for Headland..well, i don't know. I'd just prefer if we kept Wirra AND picked up Headland. Probably wishful thinking to think we won't need to lose a quality player to get Headand.

How about this deal: Cox+2nd rd pick for Carltons #2 pick (I think Carlton would seriously consider that). Then ontrade our #10 pick plus Carltons #2 pick for Headland. Two top 10 picks for a back-to-back premiership winning team could be of very high value. (Alternatively, trade to Hawks for their 1st rd pick for same deal).

Down side would be that our 1st pick would be #42 (followed by #58, #72), with at least 3 players needed to be picked up in a weak draft.

Finally someone see's the light!

So you are prepared to give up two picks in the top 10 that could pick up long term Judds and Kerrs (probably in the form of Wells), but you are not prepared to trade one player in the club who will bring you a superstar.

I like Wirra too, but we need to value all of our players objectively.

Originally posted by larrikin

So you are prepared to give up two picks in the top 10 that could pick up long term Judds and Kerrs (probably in the form of Wells), but you are not prepared to trade one player in the club who will bring you a superstar.

I like Wirra too, but we need to value all of our players objectively.

The difference there is that we know what Wirra is capable off, as compared to draft picks that could be the next Jaxon Crabb's.

How old is Wirra? 23? He still hasn't reached his peak and is already a fantastic player for us (3rd in BFWCPOTY).

The difference there is that we know what Wirra is capable off, as compared to draft picks that could be the next Jaxon Crabb's.

How old is Wirra? 23? He still hasn't reached his peak and is already a fantastic player for us (3rd in BFWCPOTY).
My point is more in the value of the players (I got a bit side tracked with the draft pick example - but that is an interesting question). if you ask any non-Eagles supporter who they think is a better player, 90% would say Headland.

Headland for Wirra is a good deal, and I certainly wouldn't be trying to trade for the No 2 pick (which would probably cost you a better player than Cox anyway) only to on-trade it as well as our first pick.

Was third the last time you saw the leaderboard...might not be anymore :D

On Headland....we are never gonna get him for a second tier player and our first round draft pick. We will need to trade quality for quality but Wirrpunda is not the answer. We have other quality players which could be involved in the trade. Fletcher springs to mind but probably not the kind of player Brisbane is looking for. But if Punda is the only way we can get Headland then Dessy can stay put.

Originally posted by jod23

Was third the last time you saw the leaderboard...might not be anymore :D

On Headland....we are never gonna get him for a second tier player and our first round draft pick. We will need to trade quality for quality but Wirrpunda is not the answer. We have other quality players which could be involved in the trade. Fletcher springs to mind but probably not the kind of player Brisbane is looking for. But if Punda is the only way we can get Headland then Dessy can stay put.
We'll have to give up a lot more than Fletcher to get him, but we've been over this ground.

Maybe Fletcher + Cox for Headland and an early pick?

My point is more in the value of the players (I got a bit side tracked with the draft pick example - but that is an interesting question). if you ask any non-Eagles supporter who they think is a better player, 90% would say Headland.

Headland for Wirra is a good deal, and I certainly wouldn't be trying to trade for the No 2 pick (which would probably cost you a better player than Cox anyway) only to on-trade it as well as our first pick.

I can't see you guys getting Headland unless ofload Wirrapunda + pick 10, or Cox + pick 10 + pick 26 or another player

Wirra

One point missed in this debate is that to trade a contracted player, that player must want to go. Why on earth would Wirra, who is a contracted player, want to go to Brisbane ??
(1) He is a Victorian - so it would not be the homesickness thing
(2) He has said on numerous occasions, that he wants to emulate Peter Matera, Dean Kemp etc who have played their entire careers with one team
(3) He has also said that the outside pressures on him in Victoria would adversely affect his football
(4) He has other off field endeavours here in WA -work with young people
(5) He is an absolute gentleman and a real asset to this club both on and off the field.The club thinks extremely highly of him.

I agree with Carly, Wirra should NEVER be traded.
If Brisbane want to play hard over Headland, fine, keep him.They may find if will come back to bite them on the bum one day.

Re: Wirra

Originally posted by vicki
One point missed in this debate is that to trade a contracted player, that player must want to go. Why on earth would Wirra, who is a contracted player, want to go to Brisbane ??

What is the ultimate goal in AFL footy?

To win the cup

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY player who would knock back an offer to go play for the team with the best chance of winning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did anyone catch talking football last night?

mick malthouse was talking about the eagles fighting to keep wirra. i didn't catch the whole thing so could somebody fill me in.

if wirra wants/needs to go back east i would be disappointed if we got anybody less than hedland for him.

if you ask any non-Eagles supporter who they think is a better player, 90% would say Headland.

If true, that simply demonstrates that most footy supporters have the attention span of a gnat.

'Twas only a matter of months ago that Des Headland was a disappointing No 1 draft pick who couldn't get a game with the Lions after 3 or 4 (I forget) years on their list.

Now I don't deny that he's been absolutely outstanding in the last 3 months, but:
- can he sustain it?
- would he be as good in a team that didn't have the supporting cast of Voss, Black, Akermanis & Lappin (3 Brownlow medallists!)
- is he the sort of player who miraculously improves when his contract's up?

He looks like he's got great future upside, but who knows.

I'm a big Wirra fan and biased, but please consider my comments.

Everyone bar Eagles fans would choose Headland without any hesitation I reckon.

They are somewhat similar players. Headland got 16 brownlow votes this year (in half a season, really), which prior to this year is more than what Wirrapunda has got in his whole career.

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

If true, that simply demonstrates that most footy supporters have the attention span of a gnat.

'Twas only a matter of months ago that Des Headland was a disappointing No 1 draft pick who couldn't get a game with the Lions after 3 or 4 (I forget) years on their list.

Now I don't deny that he's been absolutely outstanding in the last 3 months, but:
- can he sustain it?
- would he be as good in a team that didn't have the supporting cast of Voss, Black, Akermanis & Lappin (3 Brownlow medallists!)
- is he the sort of player who miraculously improves when his contract's up?

He looks like he's got great future upside, but who knows.

I'm a big Wirra fan and biased, but please consider my comments.
Definitely agree with you on the point of the players he plays with (I actually mentioned that earlier), but I think we get a little attached to the players we see each week and rate them higher in some cases than they actually are.

Please note - I am not knocking Wirra - I think he is a great player and is one of my favourites (and IMO kicked goal of the year this year). I just really rate Headland as a player and if we are going to get him we'll really have to give up something worthwhile.

Why in the **** would we want to get rid of wirrupunda! He is a required player! For **** sakes ppl, we have a good list, just need to fine tune them a bit. We dont need to do any trading! Sure itd be nice to get Headland, but not for what he costs. Wirra needs to stay in Perth!

Carlyp, I'm with you. Let's forget about trading Wirra unless he wants to go back to Victoria. I'm not a fan of trades. I prefer a policy of players development. I think Malthouse also prefers this process and he's been doing quite well. He is more interested in developing players than trade them and I hope Woosha follows his steps. Sometimes an highly rated player, doesn't fit in his new team. He may bring playing patterns that don't suit the new coaching style or rates himself too highly and doesn't easily embrace new tactics, etc. New young talented players are often more flexible and blend much better into the team. A club of star players doesn't always make a star team, but a team of good and committed players can perfom at the highest level and even win premierships. So let's go for Headland or Chick if we can get them without giving too much. Otherwise, we may be better off if we concentrate on the draft and on the development of our current list.

Originally posted by Geonet

Carlyp, I'm with you. Let's forget about trading Wirra unless he wants to go back to Victoria. I'm not a fan of trades. I prefer a policy of players development. I think Malthouse also prefers this process and he's been doing quite well. He is more interested in developing players than trade them and I hope Woosha follows his steps. Sometimes an highly rated player, doesn't fit in his new team. He may bring playing patterns that don't suit the new coaching style or rates himself too highly and doesn't easily embrace new tactics, etc. New young talented players are often more flexible and blend much better into the team. A club of star players doesn't always make a star team, but a team of good and committed players can perfom at the highest level and even win premierships. So let's go for Headland or Chick if we can get them without giving too much. Otherwise, we may be better off if we concentrate on the draft and on the development of our current list.

Yes exactly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Get em or want em?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back