Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

We stuffed up not getting Goldstein for this season. He has been enormous for Essendon.

If he didn't want to leave Melbourne for family reasons back in 2019, what makes you think that will have changed now?

We stuffed up not getting Goldstein for this season. He has been enormous for Essendon.
He wasn’t leaving Melbourne… stayed for his kids.

Didn’t matter what we did.

Not sure how we stuffed that up.

Go Catters

He wasn’t leaving Melbourne… stayed for his kids.

Didn’t matter what we did.

Not sure how we stuffed that up.

Go Catters

Exactly - people seem to forgot that players have lives outside of football, and that football is only part of who they are and not necessarily the primary reason for decisions they make

It seems some are conveniently ignoring the fact that Goldstein has 3 children from his first marriage (based on an article I'm just reading they'd be aged between about 9 & 13 now), and now he's married again with at least 1 kid from his new marriage

We don't know what the custody situation is in regards to his kids from his first marriage - but regardless of that, good on him for making his kids his priority & that his football decisions have been focused around that over recent years

I know some have linked us to Yeo - but how much will the upcoming birth of their first child have on the decision of where he plays his football next year?

He may only have 2 or 3 years left - or less when you look at his recent injury history; 2019 was the last season he played 20+ games. The most his played in the last 4 completed seasons is 12

Thinking he's one we could almost put a line through

Last edited:
Exactly - people seem to forgot that players have lives outside of football, and that football is only part of who they are and not necessarily the primary reason for decisions they make

It seems some are conveniently ignoring the fact that Goldstein has 3 children from his first marriage (based on an article I'm just reading they'd be aged between about 9 & 13 now), and now he's married again with at least 1 kid from his new marriage

We don't know what the custody situation is in regards to his kids from his first marriage - but regardless of that, good on him for making his kids his priority & that his football decisions have been focused around that over recent years

Im pretty sure I heard an interview …and he grew up in a house that barracked for Ess … so that might also have been a draw for him.

Not every player will want to play for us.. no matter how attractive our offer..

Why? What difference does it make what they weigh? How much they can bench lift may be more interesting.
Because strength-based-weight is a huge asset in footy. For younger players, it's also a reasonable barometer for fans as to how close they might be to having a "footy-ready" body.

Bench pressing, funny enough, doesn't do that much in footy. It's those muscles through your legs and your core that really, really help.

How did we stuff that up? He turned us down
He was going through a divorce, and chose to stay in Melbourne to keep that connection and time with his kids.

He put family first, as he should have.

He was never leaving Melbourne, don't know why we're even mentioning him. It was never about money or success, there was no carrot we could offer.

You may find that Essendon will be the one that has stuffed up
Nick Bryan is a very good young ruck prospect and he will very likely look for more opportunities elsewhere next year

If he leaves and becomes a really good ruckman elsewhere and Essendon don’t have success with Goldy

The trick is to sort the wheat from the caff …. can we find a winner from the type of pick we end up having. Some one fantastically talented…yet ..flys under the radar ..and slips thru to us.?

Here are a few of names in what the Herald Sun says is the top 75.. ..and one would think there will be others .that will come with a rush late.

YOTC favourite…. and he sounds like he is worth a look for sure.

View attachment 1988522

A big boy ? A man child that struggles when steps up against men… or like Hawk ..what is big stays big and gets bigger and better. My bet is we would want to see some combine data on him… He doesn’t sound like a 2K runner but if he has spring and burst ..then who knows.

View attachment 1988526

Think this kid may be FF for VicC

View attachment 1988528

We have the McKays and the Kings …this year we get the Whitlocks … and apparently Jack is the KPF

View attachment 1988529

… and perhaps the smokey? Not sure but he sounds like the type we have a ping at. State level in 400 and 800. Trouble is Swans Academy. (Mehh) Could we bid early on someone like this and see if they match ?

View attachment 1988532
Much appreciated Turbo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood - seem to rate Cameron highly. Enough to push Grundy out so not sure they seek Moyle.
West Coast - Traded Flynn in last year.
Bulldogs - Yes, if English leaves. But that's a big if.
Adelaide - Agree, they were the other one I considered as he could go past ROB. But if it's dependent on ROB leaving, you could make that argument about every team if their no. 1 ruck leaves?

I still don't see an obvious candidate unless he's happy to go somewhere like Melbourne on say a 3 year deal and wait for Gawn (who is 32) to retire. But then Witts is one of the older rucks anyway, so there's not much to be gained from that.
Grundy leaving had nothing to do with them liking Cameron and everything to do with his horrendous contract.

Cameron is an absolute spud, Stanley is 10x the ruckman Cameron is.

Come on bro... I truly hope you are joking.

Stanley is GOAT-level spudness this year.
View attachment 1989120
Darcy Cameron is so bad that Collingwood have to shoehorn the equally useless mason cox into their lineup for support.

His crapness means that Collingwood have no choice but to select a seriously unbalanced team, he actively hurts their chances to win by being in their team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back