Toast Giants Coaching: the Adam Kingsley Era (Coach of the Year 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

So… I won the meet and greet with Kingas competition and get to go in to the club to meet him in a couple of weeks.

What are the big issues I should be hitting him up about?
I reckon a question around where he sees the improvement needed to win the flag? And will it come it wholly from within plus the draft, or does he see the need for adding some mature first grade talent (i.e. not the Elliott Himmelberg type)? In either case, what does he see as our greatest need (inside midfielders, winger, etc)?

Definitely interested in what you report back from the chat.

So… I won the meet and greet with Kingas competition and get to go in to the club to meet him in a couple of weeks.

What are the big issues I should be hitting him up about?
He is very forthcoming.
I reckon he'll guide through his thinking on anything you raise (within reason)

Went into the club today and had a good chat with some of the coaches. Few points:

*Aleer is under the pump to hold his spot this week
  • Keefe comes up every week at match committee about coming in as third tall
  • Go home factor is actually part of conversation at match committee which doesn’t happen at other clubs
*slammer hit the training track which was earlier than expected
  • Cooper was busy filming a new clip
  • the overlap run from defence. We are very good at taking advantage of it when it presents but can struggle to set it up
  • Conor Stones move to the backline in the VFL as been such a success that he is pretty much next in line as a defender
  • picks like for like replacements when injuries occur and what they play in VFL is where they will play at AFL. If we have an injury up front a HH won’t be playing forward for example or Cumming playing back
  • said to him”who is your favourite player and why is it Bucks” he had a good chuckle as he said it’s cause he does his job
  • told king as I was booking a September holiday at quarter time, he laughed and said so was he 😂
*Gawn is out for 2-3 weeks but the 4th game they play is a short turn around so possible he misses the 3 weeks due to short turnaround to follow

I love our club. All the players were very welcoming to my young blokes and giving of their time. Alicia Eva took my oldest (6yo) for kick to kick to warm up before her training kicked off

I love our club. All the players were very welcoming to my young blokes and giving of their time. Alicia Eva took my oldest (6yo) for kick to kick to warm up before her training kicked off
This. The players always without exception spend time with the young fans. They politely answer even the most inane questions my kids have asked. And not just the players - the membership team is also exceptionally responsive

Went into the club today and had a good chat with some of the coaches. Few points:

• Go home factor is actually part of conversation at match committee which doesn’t happen at other clubs
  • the overlap run from defence. We are very good at taking advantage of it when it presents but can struggle to set it up
  • Conor Stones move to the backline in the VFL as been such a success that he is pretty much next in line as a defender
  • picks like for like replacements when injuries occur and what they play in VFL is where they will play at AFL. If we have an injury up front a HH won’t be playing forward for example or Cumming playing back
  • said to him”who is your favourite player and why is it Bucks” he had a good chuckle as he said it’s cause he does his job
  • told king as I was booking a September holiday at quarter time, he laughed and said so was he 😂
*Gawn is out for 2-3 weeks but the 4th game they play is a short turn around so possible he misses the 3 weeks due to short turnaround to follow

Brilliant!
Great insight and interaction.

Post of the year.

Any discussion that Derksen could be a chance? Is he injured?

Any discussion that Derksen could be a chance? Is he injured?
Went out sick from the VFL on the weekend so doubtful. Only comment I got about derkson was he was up against it with the guys in front of him. My impresssion was more that Aleer was more likely to go out to retain Fonti (rather than alter for Denison) in the side cause tigers don’t play a tall forward line.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingsley strongly advocating for Brett Montgomery for the West Coast head coaching role. Brett’s family are in Adelaide whilst he coaches us, so he may have been lost to us even if he doesn’t get this job, as there were reports that the Adelaide sides wanted him as an assistant coach for next year.

Kingsley strongly advocating for Brett Montgomery for the West Coast head coaching role. Brett’s family are in Adelaide whilst he coaches us, so he may have been lost to us even if he doesn’t get this job, as there were reports that the Adelaide sides wanted him as an assistant coach for next year.

Nothing to see 👌

ya reckon 1 year would be adequate? or should we go after Kenny?

Wait until this time next season. I have lived through all the mistakes Port have made with Hinkley and don’t want to see the same mistakes at GWS

Wait until this time next season. I have lived through all the mistakes Port have made with Hinkley and don’t want to see the same mistakes at GWS
If it goes south, we can still fire a coach.

Toast Giants Coaching: the Adam Kingsley Era (Coach of the Year 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back