Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not really true. The 'rivalry' was a bit of a mismatch in the early years, although it's arguable that the Eagles took their eye off the real prize when Freo came in and spent too much energy just trying to win the derby.

Totally agree. It took some time to develop the rivalry that exists today.
Initially there was no great divide unlike Sydney that historically has been divided. There is a clear WS mentality that GWS have walked into and assumed. Granted most people were hoping for a competitive display by GWS and not too many Swans supporters were wanting to bury the new team but when GWS got physical and suggested they might not be easy beats it was on, the Sheedy of old showing through and pleasantries forgotten.

At the moment most supporter groups wouldn't consider the Tigers a rival either. The reason for this is because we have been no on-field threat for decades. Rivalries are built up from competition so if one team always destroys the other the rivalry is non existant.

The other key component is the passion the supporters. There is multiple clubs I love to beat but this is not due to their clubs players but moreso to the 'arrogance' of their supporters.

This Swans/Gaints rivalry will build but only after the Gaints start to become competitive and their supporters start to build up heir passion.

I now completely understand the need for the outside posts and the relaxed definition of what constitues a catch.

The need for "outside posts" is simply to decrease the prevalence of drawn games, being introduced in the late 19th century when goals were far fewer, but of course the "point for missing" morons conveniently ignore that.

Have another go.

The need for "outside posts" is simply to decrease the prevalence of drawn games, being introduced in the late 19th century when goals were far fewer, but of course the "point for missing" morons conveniently ignore that.

Have another go.

I wonder if he'll come back and explain why he bags Aussie Rules for rewarding misses, but you get 68 metres to score in rugby.

Mate its not made for rugby league either, its a f***ing disgraceful ground initially built for watching track & field, then poorly modified post Olympics. I've been out there for union, league, AFL and cricket - not once have I enjoyed it. The precinct outside is sterile, and like you say it is too flat, not enough elevation to see what is going on.

I'm all for dynamiting the bl**dy thing.

Yeah, the only measure by which it's a good AFL stadium is compared to how shit it is at being a league, soccer or cricket stadium.

GWS sold $80k in merchandise at the game, must've been a few giants supporters there.

link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/numbers-point-to-a-winner/story-fn7ec9f5-1226309679740

I'd put up the same estimates as most of the rest - about 2/3rds Swans, 1/3rd Giants. So about 12-14k supporters, which almost beats out the NRL game on its own.

Yeah, the only measure by which it's a good AFL stadium is compared to how shit it is at being a league, soccer or cricket stadium.

So how usefull is ANZ stadium?
Is it fair to say that's it's OK viewing for 40K or more like 60k fans.
If you compare SCG to ANZ on numbers like 50k then the ANZ stadium
has only it's centralised public transport as a possible winner.

It's going to be very interesting when Skoda stadium comes online.
There hasn't been too much news about this.
Does anyone have the goss ?

No, its a crap ground in may ways

- ground tier too flat
- top tier too far back (see first point)
- there is f*ck all to do near the ground
- it has the soul of a ginger child

On the plus side it has a train station.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how usefull is ANZ stadium?
Is it fair to say that's it's OK viewing for 40K or more like 60k fans.
If you compare SCG to ANZ on numbers like 50k then the ANZ stadium
has only it's centralised public transport as a possible winner.

It's going to be very interesting when Skoda stadium comes online.
There hasn't been too much news about this.
Does anyone have the goss ?

ANZ Stadium doesn't really have many good viewing seats - the low banked first tier makes every other tier way back from the action. I'd say towards the front of the first tier on the wings isn't bad, but that's a pretty limited selection. SCG is pretty good viewing all round, and will be better once they knock over the shithouse stands it has at the moment. ANZ only wins on transport.

Skoda OTOH has been purpose built for AFL. Should be a winner, based off the designs I've seen. Looking forward to the Essendon game to see whether or not they've cocked it up somehow. There's plenty of info on http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/experience-skoda-stadium/.

No, its a crap ground in may ways.

Yeah, I didn't say it was any good. I just said that it's worse for other sports... :rolleyes:

- ground tier too flat

also, the ground always looks crap quality and very bad lighting (from a TV perspective).

The only times it looks good are 50k+ AFL games, NRL Grand Final and SOO matches. Beyond that, it should be no ones first choice stadium.

I've been there for SOO. It's still crap. The atmosphere's good because there's so many people, but for watching the actual game it's bad unless you're shelling out top dollar for first tier seats on the wing.

A question, why have the crowds for Sydney dropped off so heavily?

Going back a few seasons they were a huge ticket item. They're very fickle up north, it's no wonder we never can agree on anything.

Going back a few seasons they were a huge ticket item. They're very fickle up north, it's no wonder we never can agree on anything.

Retirement and/or leaving of players such as Hall, O'Loughlin, Kirk, etc who were very identifiable in Sydney may have contributed to it. Most Swans players are really no-names in Sydney.

- ground tier too flat

the joint had to be demolished and rebuilt after the Olympics if it were to serve rectangular sports properly. it didnt matter if the AFL tipped in to enable football configuration, it was always going to be a shit venue because the east and west stands were always going to remain where they were originally built

multi-purpose venues are a failure. they try to be all things to all types of sports, but they end up serving all inadequately. The USA have gone away from multi-purpose venues in the last 15-20 years. it was all the rage in the 70s and 80s, but they realised they ****ed up.

Mostly to 'johnny come lately' bandwagonners no doubt ;)

most posters arent noticing Syd's ;)

all Swans fans are for the Sydney Giants to grow their base out in the LGA's and region of western sydney. overtime, they may end up with a supporter base of the ferality (sic) of Collingwood and Richmond if they can really attract fans from the guts of western sydney from areas like blacktown, st clair, st marys, rooty hill, etc.

let's hope that's where their support comes from, and not from the areas immediately east and close to the their showgrounds stadium home ground. although olympic park is convenient for folks in these areas to get to, and is orange-black-white territory for rugby league, it aint western sydney. it should be red & white land for AFL.

Last year the rain was a huge factor. Most of our games were in the wet which is unusual.

Maybe it's because they haven't won another premiership.
Maybe they'r missing a Locket.
Maybe the constant SCG works.
Maybe it's the wetter than usual weekends.
Maybe it is the less attractive playing style.
Maybe it's the continual lack of hype and negativity forom the media.
Maybe it's a combination of a number of things mixed in with the natural cycle of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back