News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby was just on the Front Bar. Boys took the piss out of him a bit (kung fu, umps etc), but overall came across pretty well.

They take the piss out of everyone in that show though. Including themselves. It’s good value.

TFG was really funny. I got loads of messages from non giant supporters saying they enjoyed him on there.

Had a chuckle when he said “I have lost a grand final by about 150 points” haha

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Statement from our club supporting the Voice Referendum

The club has form on this sort of thing. They put out a statement supporting Marriage Equality during the postal ballot survey a few years ago.

Whatever you think of the Voice or marriage equality, the club has been out of step with the views of most people in western Sydney on both issues.

I'm sure voters in Sydney's west will help defeat the Voice today, just as they tried - by huge margins - to sink marriage equality. Having grown up in the area, it doesn't surprise me.

Whatever you think of the Voice or marriage equality, the club has been out of step with the views of most people in western Sydney on both issues.
You say out of step, I'd say ahead of.

Beats some of the regressive examples overseas.

I just don't think the club needs to take a satnce either way ... only gonna piss off half the fans
I thought this too and mentioned it to my wife. She pointed out that the AFL pay the bills so they are compelled to fall in line and make a statement. They left it so late on purpose to reduce the impact of divisiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say most won't see the club's statement and wouldn't really care if they did. The NRL backed Yes, and they have a lot more support in our area than we do.

Western and southern Sydney said no, but inner west, east, and North Sydney voted yes.
I think his point was that a lot of those No voters won't be huge AFL followers to begin with.

Garry Lyon is a huge fan of GWS defender Connor Idun.

The 23-year-old began to establish himself as one of the competition’s elite lockdown defenders in 2023 which was capped off by a strong finals campaign. At 193cm and 92kg, Idun has the ability to shut down both tall and small forwards, while his athletic ability paired with improving skills has seen him become a weapon with the ball in hand exiting defensive 50.

While looking through last season’s AFL Record Season Guide, Lyon was looking for a list of number one draft picks before randomly opening to a page where Idun’s name was at the top having been taken at pick no. 61 in the 2018 Draft. Even though clubs are getting better at identifying elite talent early in drafts, Lyon believes Idun’s late selection shows gems can still be found in the third and fourth rounds. He even went as far as to compare him to one of the modern greats in terms of medium-sized defenders.

“There's a list of all the number one draft picks and I can run through them and we can talk about them,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast. “(Some say) it (gems later in the draft) don’t happen (as often) now. It just happened as I was looking in the book to get to the number one draft picks … I just opened on a random page, and up the top was pick 61 - GWS Giants - from the Geelong under-18s - Connor Idun. He had a year. Did you watch his finals? I think in two years' time we’re going to look at him and go, ‘This is sort of Tom Stewart territory’. I mean, that’s high praise, (Stewart is) a five-time All-Australian. But Connor Idun’s abilities and his physical attributes (are so impressive). There you go, that’s just a random pick 61.”

Idun was born in London, but was raised in Geelong where he began playing footy as a 12-year-old. The defender finished sixth in GWS’ best and fairest in 2023 as the Giants went within one kick of a Grand Final berth.

Garry Lyon is a huge fan of GWS defender Connor Idun.

The 23-year-old began to establish himself as one of the competition’s elite lockdown defenders in 2023 which was capped off by a strong finals campaign. At 193cm and 92kg, Idun has the ability to shut down both tall and small forwards, while his athletic ability paired with improving skills has seen him become a weapon with the ball in hand exiting defensive 50.

While looking through last season’s AFL Record Season Guide, Lyon was looking for a list of number one draft picks before randomly opening to a page where Idun’s name was at the top having been taken at pick no. 61 in the 2018 Draft. Even though clubs are getting better at identifying elite talent early in drafts, Lyon believes Idun’s late selection shows gems can still be found in the third and fourth rounds. He even went as far as to compare him to one of the modern greats in terms of medium-sized defenders.

“There's a list of all the number one draft picks and I can run through them and we can talk about them,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast. “(Some say) it (gems later in the draft) don’t happen (as often) now. It just happened as I was looking in the book to get to the number one draft picks … I just opened on a random page, and up the top was pick 61 - GWS Giants - from the Geelong under-18s - Connor Idun. He had a year. Did you watch his finals? I think in two years' time we’re going to look at him and go, ‘This is sort of Tom Stewart territory’. I mean, that’s high praise, (Stewart is) a five-time All-Australian. But Connor Idun’s abilities and his physical attributes (are so impressive). There you go, that’s just a random pick 61.”

Idun was born in London, but was raised in Geelong where he began playing footy as a 12-year-old. The defender finished sixth in GWS’ best and fairest in 2023 as the Giants went within one kick of a Grand Final berth.
I think I said a little while ago… he’s on Taylor’s level.

Strap yourselves in ladies and gents.

Giant leap: The blueprint, belief and what makes GWS special

The Giants showed what they are capable of in 2023, giving coach Adam Kingsley and his team plenty of belief
ADAM Kingsley knows what success in the AFL looks like.

He was a premiership player at Port Adelaide in 2004, part of the club's coaching group when it returned to the Grand Final in 2007, an assistant coach at St Kilda the season after it made the Grand Final in 2010, and then part of Damien Hardwick's Richmond staff when it claimed back-to-back flags in 2019 and 2020.

It places Kingsley in a rare vantage point where he can recognise a group that's on the verge of success like few others in the football landscape. It also puts him in the unique position of knowing definitively that his Greater Western Sydney crop is capable of climbing the premiership mountain, like his previous teams have done before.

More in link below.

Last edited:
If any has a spare couple of millions laying around! Toby’s selling his 2 bedroom Drummoyne home for $1.9 million with the auction on November 18

If any has a spare couple of millions laying around! Toby’s selling his 2 bedroom Drummoyne home for $1.9 million with the auction on November 18

I’m overseas dude, can you act as my agent and we’ll turn it into a shrine to TFG …. The big Toby

Oh god this means the media will run with “he wants to come home.” Doesn’t it.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back