News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

How Opening Round was a ‘success on every measure’ for Northern clubs

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

12 MARCH 2024

Veteran Giants defender Nick Haynes has seen a lot in his 13 years at the club.

He’s been through finals campaigns, grand final heartache and has had the best view of the team’s growth in Western Sydney.

But on Monday, as he came into the club following the Giants’ 32-point Opening Round win over Collingwood, he experienced something for the first time.

“It’s the first time I signed an autograph in the car park, so we must be doing something right in the community,” Haynes said.

“I’ve been here from the start and just seeing the growth gradually over years and years, it is still increasing and getting higher and playing good footy can only help that.

“We’re excited that we represent Western Sydney and can really grow the game here.”

A crowd of 21,235 packed into ENGIE Stadium to kickstart the Giants’ season on Saturday. It was the largest home crowd the club has ever had for a non-Derby game, with the finals-like atmosphere a new benchmark for the AFL’s youngest team.

But the build-up to the match against Collingwood has had a tangible impact for the Giants financially as well.

Merchandise sales on Saturday generated the second-largest revenue for any home and away game in the club’s history.

The Giants are also 60 per cent ahead on membership revenue year on year and passed 30,000 members more than three months earlier than they did last season.

Giants CEO Dave Matthews believes the momentum generated by the Opening Round concept to help grow the game in the northern states is largely responsible.

“It’s an unqualified success on every measure,” Matthews said. That’s the best start to a season we’ve had in our short history – and I’ll say that because it’s backed up by data.

“I think our need to start early as a game, or a code is well established. That’s why we’re so pleased that Andrew Dillon and Kylie Rogers made this decision because we do need to start earlier.

“In our situation, it’s exacerbated by the fact that we have the Easter Show that takes us out of Sydney for a period of time and, obviously, that allows us to play in Canberra. But to get momentum in Sydney this early is significant.

“The crowd was fantastic, helped accelerate our membership plans, our commercial plans and then gave us an opportunity to bring some people to town and showcase the club.

“Then to get the four points Collingwood was the icing on the cake.”

The free-to-air TV ratings back up Matthews’ claim with AFL the No. 1 program nationally for three nights in a row.

Thursday night’s game between Sydney and Melbourne peaked at 977,000 viewers nationally on Channel 7 and reached 2.3 million people across the country.

Swans CEO Tom Harley was confident the result of attracting a crowd of more than 40,000, while also captivating a huge broadcast audience, has set the Opening Round concept up to be a success long into the future.

“For me, it’s a win-win,” Harley said. “It was a great weekend up here and if you weren’t here, it looked like they watched in droves as well.

“It was a terrific opportunity for the four northern state clubs to have the spotlight shone on us, collectively. And they were four really good games.

“But it enabled those in the traditional states, and I totally understand the fear of missing out … but they were on TV, and it whet the appetite for this week’s games in terms of the forecast attendance.

“I think it’s been exceptionally well received. I don’t see any downside to it whatsoever. To have that crowd and the early arrivals on a Thursday night, which is not in the school holidays, is unprecedented for us.

“We would certainly be advocates clearly for the concept to keep going. Every club in every market is looking for their own little niche within the 24-round fixture, and we’d certainly be keen for it to carry on next year.”

While the Swans would be open to playing Melbourne or any other of the big Victorian clubs each year, Matthews believes locking a Giants-Collingwood game in to start each season would be the perfect way to capitalise on the momentum.

He also had a strong message for anyone who felt the concept too heavily prioritised the AFL’s push into NSW and Queensland.

“In my simple view, we’re the AFL, not the VFL,” Matthews said. “I think that’s why it’s an important initiative.

“Victorian football fans enjoy 100 games a year and they have the AFL Grand Final locked in as well. They’ve got Gather Round every week. So, I think anyone who begrudged the fact that we need these initiatives to continue to grow our presence from a national point of view is a bit mean-spirited.

“We’re grateful that Collingwood and the other three Victorian clubs lead their weight to this concept. Ideally, we’d love to lock in Collingwood for three years – because of their size and profile, they’ve got the capacity to assist with the marketing of the code.

“But I’d like to see a commitment. The AFL made a commitment to Gather Round for a multi-year period and they should do the same for Opening Round.”

GWS Giants 2024: Jesse Hogan believes at 29 he is in his prime a key forward

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

10 MARCH 2024

Within seconds of the final siren at ENGIE Stadium on Saturday night, all eyes turned to the Giants’ social media platforms.

The intense build-up to the Opening Round clash was never going to end once the players had stopped. And if their 32-point win over Collingwood wasn’t emphatic enough, the clip from The Inbetweeners TV show rubbed salt into the wounds, especially for the Pies fans who were leaving the ground early.

“They probably had that one ready to go for five weeks, probably praying and hoping,” Jesse Hogan said.

“I think they’ve got free reign. Last year we did it because we don’t have the biggest fan base so we can do it without repercussions, we kind of became likeable from neutrals because we were doing it.

“I don’t think we ever cross the line, it’s always a bit of friendly banter and it’s good for the promotion to be honest. It creates a little extra element, it’s good for us.

“You couldn’t script it much better for us. The way we ended last year was pretty bitter for us. But we said last year that this was the start of our journey, not the end. To get this win, it’s a great way to start our season.”

While the Giants’ media team helped turn the game into a spectacle, it was the players on the field that sent a message to the rest of the competition.

They weren’t short of standout performers. Callum Brown and Brent Daniels both finished with a bag of goals, Tom Green’s midfield numbers were decisive and their backline nullified one of the most dangerous forward lines in the competition.

But it was Jesse Hogan’s influence around the ground that swung the momentum of the match.

Early in the game, Collingwood’s defensive pressure had proved too strong. The Giants’ defenders were struggling to get the ball out of their own defensive 50 and the Pies were rebounding with ease.

But as the game wore on, Hogan knew he had to find a way to get involved. He came up the ground and applied himself in contests near his own halfback flank. His assertiveness brought the Giants to life and he finished his dominant showing with seven marks and four goals.

“His contest down the line was really important for us tonight,” Adam Kingsley said.

“He helped us link some chains together. His ability to contest, to either compete, bring the ball to ground or mark it is really important for us. He played a pivotal role for us.”

It was the ideal start to the season for Hogan who had a career-best year in 2023. He finished with 49 goals and his four majors on Saturday suggests he’s in for a similar haul.

Yet it’s the fact that he is exuding confidence on the field, and finally feels at his peak, that should have most Giants fans excited.

“My body has been good to me the past couple of years and so I was able to get a really solid pre-season,” Hogan said.

“I was also able to build that cohesion with Toby (Greene), Cads (Cadman), Brent Daniels, Callum Brown. We spent the whole pre-season training together without much chopping and changing. The more weeks you get training together as a unit, the more fruits that you can show on game day.

“I’m 29 now so I’m in my prime. Touch is a massive thing as a key forward, the more you can train the better your touch is on game day. So I just had a really good block and a really good run so far, so I won’t get carried away but I’m feeling really good.”

The Giants are understandably refusing to get carried away with their opening-round victory. The manner of their win was decisive however last year’s heartache continues to provide perspective.

But a massive win over the reigning premier to start the year is worth celebrating.

“My mum’s come over from Perth and so have a few mates, but it’ll be tame, it’s pretty late,” Hogan said.

“To play the way we did against such a high-quality side is super. I think everyone wants to start in this manner and there was a bit more of a highlight around it being round zero, only four games and us playing the team that knocked us out last year.

“At the end of the day, it’s four points, we started perfectly. But it’s just one round, we’ll review it and move straight on.”

The free-to-air TV ratings back up Matthews’ claim with AFL the No. 1 program nationally for three nights in a row.
Might be a first for a non-finals GWS game.

Nick Haynes on why he stayed at GWS Giants, fatherhood and his AFL premiership dream

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

12 MARCH 2024

Giants' defender Nick Haynes was determined to prove his value to Adam Kingsley over the pre-season despite suggestions he was on the way out of GWS.

The 31-year-old is one of five inaugural Giants still on the club’s list and is going into the final season of a multimillion-dollar contract in 2024.

However, the reality check of being in and out of Kingsley’s best 23, as well as rumours the Giants were willing to let him depart, have helped rejuvenate Haynes.

That was highlighted by his strong start to the season, finishing with 23 disposals, nine marks and seven intercept possessions against Collingwood.

It was the most touches Haynes registered in a game since round nine last year, also against the Pies.

Haynes said that the desire to be a part of the Giants’ first flag is what continues to motivate him 13 years into his AFL career.

“I was 31 coming into the end of the year and not in the team, so obviously you do question where your future is at and whether it’s at the club,” Haynes said. “As a competitor, you want to be playing in the finals and being there since the start.

“But I had a great chat with Adam Kingsley at the end of the season. If it was my choice to stay, then I wanted to stay. At the end of the day, that made it an easy decision.

“I wanted to stay at the club because this year is as good as any that we can push for that premiership, and I don’t want to miss (being) a part of that. So, I’m really happy I’m staying here and hopefully have got another year or two left in me.”

With 204 AFL games under his belt, there’s no doubt that Haynes brings experience to a backline brimming with young, elite talent. But this pre-season saw him train predominantly on the wing in an eye to help him back into the side.

While he played as a defender against the Pies due to the absence of both Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman, Haynes believes the extra work over the summer has set him up to have a bigger impact across the ground.

“(There were) no excuses, I put the head down and worked hard and that’s all I can do,” he said.

“You can go two ways; you have excuses, or you can just grit your teeth and put it into action. I worked hard at a lot of areas that I thought I needed improvement, and I could still improve as a footballer.

“I had a few health issues in the last few years, but my body overall is feeling as great as it has in the last few years and that helps.

“(Training on the wing) helps me down back as well. I’m as fit as I’ve been I think as well … I think I’ve improved a bit of my speed so that can only help me as a defender.

“Spots are real tight for the team, everyone’s training really hard. There are no guarantees, so that can only make the group stronger.”

Fitness was just part of the challenge that Haynes set for himself as he prepares for what will be a big year on and off the field. He and partner Bec are set to welcome their first child in three weeks, and he knows staying on top of the mental side of things will be just as important.

“Those health issues mentally drain you and become a bit frustrating,” Haynes said. “But I’m in a great spot now mentally and physically.

“I had a goal coming into this year to just be healthy and happy, so if I’m those two things I think I can play good football.

“Now and again I ask (Toby Greene) what’s it like and what can I look forward to? (Toby and Stephen Coniglio) are loving the early days as a father and I’m so excited to join the crew and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions when the baby comes.”

The Giants’ defence has established itself as one of the strongest in the competition with players like Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley, Harry Himmelberg and Connor Idun all elite in their position.

Idun played a hand in keeping two of Collingwood’s most damaging players quiet on Saturday night.

Connor Idun's shutout against Collingwood

OpponentMatchup MinsOppo DisposalsOppo Goals
Jamie Elliott4980
Bobby Hill4230
While Haynes has plenty to be proud of in the coming months and years ahead, for now, he takes the most pride in how the youngsters he has helped develop have become some of the best defenders in the AFL.

“We’re just happy that we could play our way,” Haynes said. “I don’t think we played our best footy but there’s real positive signs early into the season.

“I’m really proud of watching them grow over the years. They’ve all started at this club and grown and improved each year. I think they’re the best defence in the whole competition.

“They’re a great bunch of blokes and couldn’t be prouder of the footballers they’re turning into.

GWS star Josh Kelly approaches game 200 against childhood team North Melbourne

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

14 MARCH 2024

A post from the Giants on social media this week stirred up a different set of emotions for vice-captain Josh Kelly.

The midfielder will celebrate his 200th game when he runs out against the Kangaroos on Saturday, and as part of the tribute, the club got their hands on some pictures of a young Kelly when he was a North Melbourne fan.

“There’s a few photos this week that not even I’d seen them for a little while,” Kelly said.

“I think Boomer (Brent Harvey) commented on the post. Jess Sinclair sent me a message who was one of my favourite players growing up.

“So there are those moments where it does feel a bit full circle in that sense. You are able to reflect and look back, put yourself in the position when you were just a young kid, looking up to AFL players in general.”

The blue and white ran strong for Kelly with his father, Phil, playing 61 matches for the Kangas.

But while it’s fortuitous that he will bring up the milestone against a club he is so intrinsically linked to, he could so easily have been playing this weekend against the Giants.

The Kangaroos made no secret of their admiration for Kelly, offering him a 10-year, multimillion-dollar deal to relocate back to Victoria in 2019.

But after extended negotiations, the Giants won out. And he’s set to be at GWS for life with his current contract stretching through to the end of 2029.

“There were obviously ties to (North Melbourne) with dad and myself supporting them growing up, so there was always a bit of a pull there,” Kelly said. “It was just a time when I was considering options, I was never one way or the other.

“But at the end of the day, I always felt a real connection to this club and the relationships that I built here.

“I’ve always felt success is around the corner for us as well. So, when you combine all those things together, I think we’re in a pretty special position to be competing for premierships each year with a club and culture that is pretty special.

“It’s not something I’ve needed to justify or vindicate. But, I mean, we are competing for premierships, and we’ve got a great group. So, I’m really proud of what we’ve built.”

Kelly will become just the sixth player to bring up 200 games for the Giants, and also the quickest, after only making his debut in 2014. And with another six years to go on his deal, it’s clear he is going to be a one-club player who could go down as the games-record holder in Giants history.

He’ll never forget those memories of barracking for the Kangaroos early in life, but it’s clear the affinity he has forged with the Giants is much stronger.

“I wasn’t an inaugural Giant, I was there in the third year, but to be a part of that group and be the first bunch of Giants to play 200 games, there’s no doubt it’s special,” Kelly said.

“I do feel a real connection to the club and that group of players and then the next ones coming through as well. We’re going to have a pretty good group of inaugural Giants and 200-game Giants floating around the place in the years to come.

“You’re always trying to have your best year individually, always trying to work on things and chase those areas, but at the end of the day, a premiership is what I want to be able to say I achieved, and I feel like we’ve got a group and a club that is working towards that.”

While Harvey’s allegiances certainly haven’t swung in Kelly’s favour – “Play well, just not well enough for the 4 points,” the Kangaroos legend posted on Instagram – the 29-year-old knows he has at least one former Roo onside.

“(Dad is) definitely Giants now, confidently,” Kelly said. “The whole family have the orange scarves on.”

The Giants are set to welcome back both Finn Callaghan and Harry Perryman for the clash with North Melbourne. Callan Ward is the major omission following his shoulder injury against Collingwood.

While the crowd for Kelly’s milestone match won’t go near the impressive attendance from last Saturday, the Giants are still confident of attracting a big audience at ENGIE Stadium. As part of the afternoon, ticketed fans will also get free access to Easter Show rides, as well as a tribute to inaugural co-captain, Phil Davis.

While the crowd for Kelly’s milestone match won’t go near the impressive attendance from last Saturday, the Giants are still confident of attracting a big audience at ENGIE Stadium. As part of the afternoon, ticketed fans will also get free access to Easter Show rides, as well as a tribute to inaugural co-captain, Phil Davis.
Tells me around 10 to 12. Which considering North don’t really travel, track work and fricken Pink. Isn’t too bad.

Tells me around 10 to 12. Which considering North don’t really travel, track work and fricken Pink. Isn’t too bad.
Sounds promising, fingers crossed it's towards the middle to higher end but I'll take any number between those two.

Club seems to be doing as much as it can to drive turnout to the game which should also help numbers despite the other factors going against us. Hope as many fans as possible can make it down 😃

Last edited:
What is it with track work and Giants matches in Sydney? 😮
Honestly, I shouldn't have checked. Our first game back at Olympic Park after 2 months against the Bulldogs. 😫

Could be worse, I suppose, if Olympic Park was out for trackwork, too.

Screenshot_20240314_210851_Edge.jpg

Thankfully the next two home games thereafter (PA and Swans Derby) look relatively free of trackwork.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just sent a text to sen Sydney.

'Great to hear your interview with Adam Kingsley today. More afl content please!'

04 5773 6736.

We've gotta give some positive reinforcement as I have criticised them on the text the past week or so. I know they read the text line, it's why afl was banned from their previously with all the leagiues sooking. So good if we balance it out with some positive feedback.

How ‘misunderstood’ Jesse Hogan is leading GWS Giants’ efficient attack as Kingsley’s men’s star continues to rise

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

18 MARCH 2024

The dynamism of the Giants’ forward line is set to become one of their biggest weapons in 2024 after leading the way in their scrappy win over the Kangaroos.

There were concerns raised before a ball had been bounced this season that GWS didn’t have the key forwards to compete with the top teams in the competition.

But internally, those fears were never recognised. Jesse Hogan’s resurgence saw him become one of the most damaging targets in the AFL, while his work inspired career-best years in 2023 from Jake Riccardi and Callum Brown.

Throw in number-one draft pick Aaron Cadman who only had a minor impact in his debut season, and Adam Kingsley’s side was stacked with options.

The Giants received an early shock to the system on Saturday against North Melbourne, but the scoreboard continued to tick over and the versatility of scoring options was the main reason the Giants always held the momentum. The home team produced scores from 60 per cent of their forward 50 entries and probably should have ended with a bigger winning margin than 39 points.

“North threw a good punch and we didn’t combat it well,” Jake Riccardi said. “They’ll get some big wins this year playing the way they did, they definitely rattled us.

“Kingers’ message was to be smart and play the Giants way and we’ll get the job done.

“Early on, we were working hard and competing. We fell away from that a bit in the second [quarter] as forwards doing the basics right. But I think we redirected in the second half … and that’s what got the job done tonight.”

Riccardi was one of the best early for the Giants, kicking three goals in the opening term. He didn’t add another major, but he finished the day with 19 disposals and 10 marks in a strong showing.

His performance was largely spurred on by his inability to hit the scoreboard against the Pies, as well as Brown’s rather catchy goal song – El Sonidito.

“They didn’t get to hear my song last week so I was spewing,” Riccardi said. “Browny’s song when it plays, the crowd starts doing this clap so they’ve really bought into it.

“Our forward line at the moment, it’s working really well. As long as we bring a compete-first attitude then the rest will come.

“Early on we were moving the footy well which is why I got a few out the back. But when you start like that, it always makes your game a bit easier, you build your confidence.”

However, it was Hogan who rightly took the plaudits after his six goals. The 29-year-old looks completely at home leading the Giants’ forward pack and is playing the most confident footy of his career.

It felt inevitable that Hogan’s talent would always get a chance to shine in the AFL, but Riccardi believes that undersells the amount of work he has done to get to this level.

“It always makes it easier when big Hoges is clunking them like he does,” Riccardi said. “He is showing why he’s one of the best key forwards that we’ve seen over the past 10 years.

“He’s so smart and such a good aerial presence. If you’re a junior footy player looking at how to play forward and be a big man, you should watch Jesse Hogan.

“He probably doesn’t get enough credit for his knowledge and smarts around the game. He’s a key forward and you see him do all the big stuff. But he’s so clever with his positioning and when to run back to goal, when to make your opponent come up on you, using your body.

“I’ve lent on that to see how he goes about it. He’s such a good mentor for myself, Cads, Max Gruzewski, we all learn off Hoges because he’s such a great player.”

Even Hogan’s most experienced teammates agree, and the confidence he exudes is reflective of the young forwards around him.

“I think he’s a misunderstood player and seeing him work day to day, (Jesse is) one of the hardest workers in our group,” Coniglio said.

“He makes his own luck I reckon and I’m hoping the outside world is taking notice of just how good of a player he is.

“I think the hardest thing is that you might be able to stop Jesse for a bit and then Cads can get away, Browny will get away, it’s a good problem to have.”

The Giants don’t think there is any extra pressure on Hogan to deliver. He’s got a role to play in the team and 10 goals in the opening two games of the season suggests he’s ready to live up to it.

But Kingsley wants to ensure his presence continues to lift those around Hogan to find ways to impact the game.

“To see him compete the way he does, to lead the way in that aspect of the game, not only does it encourage our other key forwards to do it, it holds them to a higher standard,” Kingsley said.

“I think all three of those guys working together has been strong for us in two games of footy so far this year. That’s what we expected out of our key forwards and so far they’ve delivered.

Nice interview with Idun on BackChat (Will Schofield pod).

Jesse sounding happy and relaxed in this interview.

Would be very, very surprised if he did not re-sign with GWS. Just needs a decent $$ offer.

Don't make me beg.....

Ok Ill beg.
Sad Puss In Boots GIF

Two articles from today’s newspapers giving the two sides of the GWS Giant’s 'challenges' in Western Sydney.

Inside the ever-growing profile of arguably Sydney’s fastest-growing sporting team

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

20 MARCH 2024

When the AFL took over Parramatta Square in the week leading up to Opening Round, there were understandably many confused by the unique activation.

Thousands walked past a large inflatable Sherrin and multiple footy-based drills, while the busiest stall was handing out free university merchandise.

One local councillor commented that he had never seen a sporting code have as big a presence in the heart of Parramatta. And for 4pm on a Tuesday, a surprising number of adults and kids were decked out in Giants merchandise holding out for a signature.

Puzzled looks. Questions asked. It created a fascinating talking point for those on their commute home. But that was the plan. Make people curious and raise the ever-growing profile of the AFL in Western Sydney.

My colleague Dean Ritchie wrote that the GWS Giants “are close to an invisible franchise”, but the data suggests they’re arguably the fastest-growing sporting team in Sydney.

There’s no hiding from the fact that the recognition of certain players is down, but the awareness of the sport as a whole is far below where it needs to be. That’s why the Giants and the AFL both understand how much work has to be done to create cut-through in the region.

Success for the Giants has always been around long-term targets. Most kids from Parramatta, Liverpool, Castle Hill or Campbelltown haven’t grown up with Aussie rules footy.

The club is considered a generational project. They want those same kids to be taking their kids to games in 30 or 40 years’ time. The overwhelming investment in Western Sydney suggests they’re on the right path.

No club does community engagement like the Giants either. Their entire 44-man playing group individually visits schools and clubs in Western Sydney at a minimum eight times a year, covering thousands of kids in the region. Importantly from the AFL’s perspective, there has also been a massive growth in the pathway for women’s and girls’ footy, with participation numbers continuing to rise.

If a handful of those youngsters progress into the Giants’ team, then recognition will grow quicker. Where Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio and Lachie Whitfield may struggle for widespread relevance because they come from interstate, Pennant Hills product Kieren Briggs is slowly picking up plenty of fans having grown up as a local Giants supporter himself.

Tapping into the multiculturalism present in Western Sydney has also been vitally important. The Giants host an annual Iftar Ramadan dinner, with more than 400 members of the Muslim community attending last week, and have been committed to lowering the barriers for people from all backgrounds to fall in love with footy.

The AFL’s investment is designed to reflect the changing face of the region. When nearly 50 per cent of the population use a language other than English at home and 40 per cent were born in another country, unique solutions have to be found – particularly when trying to connect them with a new sport.

Crowd numbers are naturally front of mind when discussing the Giants. They only just passed an attendance of 8,000 for their most recent game at ENGIE Stadium and had an average of just over 10,000 for the 2023 season. It’s a far cry from most other NRL and AFL clubs.

But their sold-out match last week against Collingwood indicates that the right games at Sydney Olympic Park can be an entertaining prospect. They are also entering just their 13th season, where the likes of the Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panthers have more than 60 years of history to draw on.

The Giants’ membership is up 60 per cent year-on-year and was only behind the Eels for Sydney-based NRL clubs in 2023. With an aim to exceed 35,000 members this year, there’s every chance the Giants and Swans will be the two most supported clubs in Sydney.

They also had 23 per cent growth on Instagram, the highest of any Sydney club, and once you include their AFLW and Super Netball sides, their social audience exceeds 500,000 people.

All that success has come without an elusive AFL premiership, something the team has openly spoken about finally winning this year.

The Giants don’t want to invade Western Sydney and take over the NRL’s dominance, they want sports fans to have an extra code to support. But make no mistake, the AFL is here to stay. And the data shows they’re well on their way to turning Western Sydney into a footy-loving region.

Giants myth: No love in NRL heartland for AFL’s invisible team

By DEAN RITCHIE

NRL REPORTER

20 MARCH 2024

They are outright favourites for the AFL premiership but it seems no-one in Western Sydney knows who the bloody hell the GWS Giants are.

Rugby league once worried about the perceived AFL invasion in Sydney’s western suburbs, but it’s turned out to be a myth.

They might be well known in Melbourne, but the Giants are close to an invisible franchise in what is support to be their actual heartland.

Bulldog’s Bite stood in the middle of Parramatta Mall for more than an hour this week asking by-passers whether they could identify photos of GWS stars Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield and coach Adam Kingsley.

These people are far from nobodies – Greene was named captain of the AFL’s All Australian team last year; Coniglio is a former club captain who has played 202 matches; and Whitfield is a former No.1 draft pick who’s been at the club since 2013.

The response was alarming for GWS.

Bemused punters mistook them for a Croatian doubles tennis player, a Dutch swimmer, European soccer player, Craig Foster, Anthony Seibold, Michael Clarke, Xavi Hernandez, an A-League coach, a personal trainer, even a cartoon character from Mad magazine.

Ron from Hornsby couldn’t identify Whitfield but thought he resembled Alfred E Neuman from American humour magazine, Mad.

“I’m a league fan – I follow Parra,” Rob said.

When shown a photo of Greene, Steve from Blacktown said: “Is that Michael Clarke? I’ve got no idea, mate.”

And when he saw Whitfield, Steve said: “Is that a soccer player?”

When told of their identities, he said: “I don’t watch AFL.”

Rod, a Parramatta resident now living in Nelson Bay, thought Kingsley was Manly coach Anthony Seibold.

And his wife Jennifer thought Coniglio was soccer pundit Craig Foster.

Colin from Western Sydney thought Greene was a Croatian doubles tennis player.

He did get close with Whitfield, saying: “He looks like an AFL player from the 1990s.”

Abbas from Granville thought Greene was a European soccer player while Whitfield was a Dutch swimmer.

“(Kinglsey) looks like the Barcelona coach (Xavi Hernandez),” Abbas said.

And on it went.

Matthew from Cronulla reckons Kingsley is “a coach in the A-League. If you show me some NRL players, I’d know who they are. AFL, players, I’ve got no idea.”

Joseph from Newcastle said Whitfield looked like a “European goal keeper” while Kinglsey was a “personal trainer”.

Only AFL fan Jeff from Glenhaven nailed the identities of all four Giants.

The Giants are $5 premiership favourites with the TAB ahead of the Sydney Swans ($6.50), then Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood and Melbourne.

Our street poll took place right near Parramatta Square, where GWS held a fan day just last month.

While the Giants remain largely unknown, NRL players like Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Mitch Moses, Dylan Brown, Api Koroisau, Stephen Crichton and Viliame Kikau rule the west.

The Giants drew a 21,235 full house to Engie Stadium at the Sydney Showground for the club’s opening round against premiers Collingwood.

But, a week later, GWS attracted just 8034 against North Melbourne, indicating the opening round’s robust crowd heavily comprised Magpies fans.

It was even less than the 11,466 fans who attended the Suns-Crowd match on the Gold Coast, despite the Suns never finishing better than 12th in their history.

And the average AFL crowd outside the Giants match last weekend was 50,671.

Meanwhile Western Sydney NRL rivals Parramatta and Penrith are expected to have sellout crowds at matches this weekend.

The debate over GWS’s popularity comes after Manly forward Haumole Olakau’atu’s comments supporting fellow Western Sydney product Spencer Leniu, who was asked about ex-Swans Indigenous star Adam Goodes during his racism hearing.

“Sorry man, I don’t know who that is, I don’t know who Adam Goodes is, sorry,” Olakau’atu said.

Rugby union isn’t a competitor to the NRL anymore, and neither is soccer.

But the AFL remains feisty in Sydney and money keeps on pouring in to support the code.

NRL is soaring higher than ever before through great tries, brilliant games, massive television ratings and a game now rolling in money. The Las Vegas experiment was also a huge hit with fans.

The Giants are in their 13th season and have 33,000 members.

They are a team with immense on-field talent but without an off-field identity in the region they are supposed to represent.

As broadcaster Ray Hadley says: “They could rob a bank on Pitt Street without a mask on and no-one would know who they were.”

Two articles from today’s newspapers giving the two sides of the GWS Giant’s 'challenges' in Western Sydney.

Inside the ever-growing profile of arguably Sydney’s fastest-growing sporting team

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

20 MARCH 2024

When the AFL took over Parramatta Square in the week leading up to Opening Round, there were understandably many confused by the unique activation.

Thousands walked past a large inflatable Sherrin and multiple footy-based drills, while the busiest stall was handing out free university merchandise.

One local councillor commented that he had never seen a sporting code have as big a presence in the heart of Parramatta. And for 4pm on a Tuesday, a surprising number of adults and kids were decked out in Giants merchandise holding out for a signature.

Puzzled looks. Questions asked. It created a fascinating talking point for those on their commute home. But that was the plan. Make people curious and raise the ever-growing profile of the AFL in Western Sydney.

My colleague Dean Ritchie wrote that the GWS Giants “are close to an invisible franchise”, but the data suggests they’re arguably the fastest-growing sporting team in Sydney.

There’s no hiding from the fact that the recognition of certain players is down, but the awareness of the sport as a whole is far below where it needs to be. That’s why the Giants and the AFL both understand how much work has to be done to create cut-through in the region.

Success for the Giants has always been around long-term targets. Most kids from Parramatta, Liverpool, Castle Hill or Campbelltown haven’t grown up with Aussie rules footy.

The club is considered a generational project. They want those same kids to be taking their kids to games in 30 or 40 years’ time. The overwhelming investment in Western Sydney suggests they’re on the right path.

No club does community engagement like the Giants either. Their entire 44-man playing group individually visits schools and clubs in Western Sydney at a minimum eight times a year, covering thousands of kids in the region. Importantly from the AFL’s perspective, there has also been a massive growth in the pathway for women’s and girls’ footy, with participation numbers continuing to rise.

If a handful of those youngsters progress into the Giants’ team, then recognition will grow quicker. Where Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio and Lachie Whitfield may struggle for widespread relevance because they come from interstate, Pennant Hills product Kieren Briggs is slowly picking up plenty of fans having grown up as a local Giants supporter himself.

Tapping into the multiculturalism present in Western Sydney has also been vitally important. The Giants host an annual Iftar Ramadan dinner, with more than 400 members of the Muslim community attending last week, and have been committed to lowering the barriers for people from all backgrounds to fall in love with footy.

The AFL’s investment is designed to reflect the changing face of the region. When nearly 50 per cent of the population use a language other than English at home and 40 per cent were born in another country, unique solutions have to be found – particularly when trying to connect them with a new sport.

Crowd numbers are naturally front of mind when discussing the Giants. They only just passed an attendance of 8,000 for their most recent game at ENGIE Stadium and had an average of just over 10,000 for the 2023 season. It’s a far cry from most other NRL and AFL clubs.

But their sold-out match last week against Collingwood indicates that the right games at Sydney Olympic Park can be an entertaining prospect. They are also entering just their 13th season, where the likes of the Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panthers have more than 60 years of history to draw on.

The Giants’ membership is up 60 per cent year-on-year and was only behind the Eels for Sydney-based NRL clubs in 2023. With an aim to exceed 35,000 members this year, there’s every chance the Giants and Swans will be the two most supported clubs in Sydney.

They also had 23 per cent growth on Instagram, the highest of any Sydney club, and once you include their AFLW and Super Netball sides, their social audience exceeds 500,000 people.

All that success has come without an elusive AFL premiership, something the team has openly spoken about finally winning this year.

The Giants don’t want to invade Western Sydney and take over the NRL’s dominance, they want sports fans to have an extra code to support. But make no mistake, the AFL is here to stay. And the data shows they’re well on their way to turning Western Sydney into a footy-loving region.

Giants myth: No love in NRL heartland for AFL’s invisible team

By DEAN RITCHIE

NRL REPORTER

20 MARCH 2024

They are outright favourites for the AFL premiership but it seems no-one in Western Sydney knows who the bloody hell the GWS Giants are.

Rugby league once worried about the perceived AFL invasion in Sydney’s western suburbs, but it’s turned out to be a myth.

They might be well known in Melbourne, but the Giants are close to an invisible franchise in what is support to be their actual heartland.

Bulldog’s Bite stood in the middle of Parramatta Mall for more than an hour this week asking by-passers whether they could identify photos of GWS stars Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield and coach Adam Kingsley.

These people are far from nobodies – Greene was named captain of the AFL’s All Australian team last year; Coniglio is a former club captain who has played 202 matches; and Whitfield is a former No.1 draft pick who’s been at the club since 2013.

The response was alarming for GWS.

Bemused punters mistook them for a Croatian doubles tennis player, a Dutch swimmer, European soccer player, Craig Foster, Anthony Seibold, Michael Clarke, Xavi Hernandez, an A-League coach, a personal trainer, even a cartoon character from Mad magazine.

Ron from Hornsby couldn’t identify Whitfield but thought he resembled Alfred E Neuman from American humour magazine, Mad.

“I’m a league fan – I follow Parra,” Rob said.

When shown a photo of Greene, Steve from Blacktown said: “Is that Michael Clarke? I’ve got no idea, mate.”

And when he saw Whitfield, Steve said: “Is that a soccer player?”

When told of their identities, he said: “I don’t watch AFL.”

Rod, a Parramatta resident now living in Nelson Bay, thought Kingsley was Manly coach Anthony Seibold.

And his wife Jennifer thought Coniglio was soccer pundit Craig Foster.

Colin from Western Sydney thought Greene was a Croatian doubles tennis player.

He did get close with Whitfield, saying: “He looks like an AFL player from the 1990s.”

Abbas from Granville thought Greene was a European soccer player while Whitfield was a Dutch swimmer.

“(Kinglsey) looks like the Barcelona coach (Xavi Hernandez),” Abbas said.

And on it went.

Matthew from Cronulla reckons Kingsley is “a coach in the A-League. If you show me some NRL players, I’d know who they are. AFL, players, I’ve got no idea.”

Joseph from Newcastle said Whitfield looked like a “European goal keeper” while Kinglsey was a “personal trainer”.

Only AFL fan Jeff from Glenhaven nailed the identities of all four Giants.

The Giants are $5 premiership favourites with the TAB ahead of the Sydney Swans ($6.50), then Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood and Melbourne.

Our street poll took place right near Parramatta Square, where GWS held a fan day just last month.

While the Giants remain largely unknown, NRL players like Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Mitch Moses, Dylan Brown, Api Koroisau, Stephen Crichton and Viliame Kikau rule the west.

The Giants drew a 21,235 full house to Engie Stadium at the Sydney Showground for the club’s opening round against premiers Collingwood.

But, a week later, GWS attracted just 8034 against North Melbourne, indicating the opening round’s robust crowd heavily comprised Magpies fans.

It was even less than the 11,466 fans who attended the Suns-Crowd match on the Gold Coast, despite the Suns never finishing better than 12th in their history.

And the average AFL crowd outside the Giants match last weekend was 50,671.

Meanwhile Western Sydney NRL rivals Parramatta and Penrith are expected to have sellout crowds at matches this weekend.

The debate over GWS’s popularity comes after Manly forward Haumole Olakau’atu’s comments supporting fellow Western Sydney product Spencer Leniu, who was asked about ex-Swans Indigenous star Adam Goodes during his racism hearing.

“Sorry man, I don’t know who that is, I don’t know who Adam Goodes is, sorry,” Olakau’atu said.

Rugby union isn’t a competitor to the NRL anymore, and neither is soccer.

But the AFL remains feisty in Sydney and money keeps on pouring in to support the code.

NRL is soaring higher than ever before through great tries, brilliant games, massive television ratings and a game now rolling in money. The Las Vegas experiment was also a huge hit with fans.

The Giants are in their 13th season and have 33,000 members.

They are a team with immense on-field talent but without an off-field identity in the region they are supposed to represent.

As broadcaster Ray Hadley says: “They could rob a bank on Pitt Street without a mask on and no-one would know who they were.”
Must be doing something right if the NRL are writing hit pieces. They did the same to the A-League at its height in 2015 in a co-ordinated attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back