News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I respect Harley, but all he needed to respond was to laugh it off instead of telling our club what to do.

I can't stand Tom Harley, he tries so hard with the corporate talk and is just a really boring, almost irritating person. You'd hope the swans are just playing along here, it's good for them too, heeneys face and all their sponsors were plastered all over the national news yesterday along with Toby's.

No club in our sporting landscape should be unaware of the media/social media aspect of being front and centre of news stories or posts that go viral on the internet. Particularly from an engagement/ growth perspective.

I pay no mind to the to and fro's because all clubs should be aware of this. It's all curated for their respective audiences / target audiences.

I just have fun with it and if I don't like it, I just disregard it as uninteresting to me.

Last edited:
Shouldn't tell us what to do, but a poor video from Toby. We need to focus on lifting our own game.
It wouldn’t affect his game prep, would say it was part of his media duties.
Social media would have organised it all and they have nothing to do with the preparation of the team.
Great video, got us in all the media and in a good way.
Swans have a number of advantages over GWS, if i was them I wouldn't be apologising for it.
Not one person has said they need to apologise for anything.
Maybe an apology for voting against our existence maybe, but not for anything else.
Doesn’t mean we don’t get to take the piss out of them.

Great publicity for our social media team’s Greene video spoofing Heeney, with Fox Sports criticising the reactions of the Swans CEO to our video. Also about 840,000 views of the video so far!

At time of writing, the club’s post on X has over 4,500 likes, more than 400 comments — mostly seeing the funny side — while the video itself has a staggering 840,000 views

GWS Giants star Jack Buckley facing big hurdle to watch partner Celeste Mucci at Paris Olympics

JAY CLARK

14 July 2024

News Sport Network

GWS Giants’ defender Jack Buckley says he is “unlikely” to miss a game to watch his girlfriend and star hurdler Celeste Mucci compete at the 2024 Olympic Games next month.

The gun backman said he nervously broached the idea with GWS coach Adam Kingsley but didn’t receive an encouraging response as the Giants try and lock in a finals spot.

Mucci, who has overcome serious hamstring surgery in February to qualify, is scheduled to compete in the 100m women’s hurdles heats in Paris on Wednesday, August 7.

The final is slated for Saturday, August 10, which clashes with the Giants’ Round 22 clash against Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

Clubs have shown a willingness to support players’ family events this year with Melbourne’s Ed Langdon, Collingwood’s Oleg Markov and Cat Oisin Mullin all missing games for weddings in 2024.

Buckley said he unsuccessfully raised the prospect of missing a game with his coach, but would consider another approach to watch his partner wear the green and gold.

Another option is to fly out immediately after the Round 21 clash against Hawthorn, watch Mucci’s heat, and then fly back in time for the Round 22 clash against Brisbane on Saturday.

“It is very exciting that Celeste made it, and we are all very excited to watch,” Buckley said on Triple M.

“I was in his (Kingsley’s) office a little while ago, and he does love his athletics, so I was actually too scared (laughing) to ask him.

“And he knew I was trying to ask him but was too scared to get it out.

“He picked up the fixture and sort of looked at who we had … (Brisbane in Round 22).

“So he said, ‘Nah mate you are not going’.

“I’m getting a lot of flak around it but unfortunately it is out of my hands. We will see.

“It is very unlikely and I’m also scared to ask him again.”

The Giants would almost certainly permit Buckley to fly out if that was the path he chose.

Melbourne winger Langdon praised the club’s maturity for letting him go to his sister’s wedding, meaning he missed the loss to West Coast in Round 10.

“It’s a credit to ‘Goody’ and the culture we have built at our footy club that the club feels comfortable to let a player go mid-season if it is really important to them, which it was,” Langdon said.

“To have completely unwavering support from the club – it is a pretty special environment and culture to be a part of.

“They were super supportive from the get-go and we put a plan in place.”

But it is a tough choice for the gun GWS defender who is hopeful Sam Taylor will return from a ruptured testicle either on Saturday against Gold Coast or the following week against Melbourne in Round 20.

Mucci, who is from Williamstown, said she was thrilled to qualify for her first Olympics.

“Delayed but not denied. This year was the hardest physically and mentally to try and qualify,” Mucci said.

“After rupturing my hamstring tendon and getting surgery in February I did everything I could to get back healthy.”

The 193cm Buckley, 26, has played 15 games this year and finished seventh in the club’s best and fairest last season.

Kieren Briggs on his goalkicking woes and becoming GWS Giants’ No.1 ruckman

LACHLAN MCKIRDY

14 July 2024

News Sport Network

It’s the one part of Kieren Briggs’ game that brings a grimace to his face.

The Giants ruckman continues to take massive leaps in his development in his first full season as the club’s first-choice big man.

He was integral in last week’s win over the Carlton, sparking their midfield turnaround and arresting the Blues’ stoppage dominance.

But just don’t mention the war, which in this case is his goal-kicking.

The 24-year-old has kicked 0.11 in 2024, with that breakthrough major still eluding him so far.

“It keeps stacking up and Shane is getting stuck into me each week,” Briggs says with a smirk.

“Hopefully there’s one on the horizon soon.”

He looked to have broken his drought in the third quarter against Carlton after he worked hard to mark the ball directly in front of goal. Although he knew immediately he had sprayed it wide – “I dropped the ball wrong and I knew it was going to miss as soon as I hit it,” he said — it’s part of a push to get Briggs past the yips and more involved in all facets of the match.

“Kingers has expressed that he doesn’t want me to just be a stoppage ruckman,” Briggs said.

“He wants me in front of the ball and behind the ball as well. So it was pleasing to take a few marks behind the ball and in the forward 50.”

It might sound like an easy addition to Briggs’ arsenal, but given how complete his game is in other portions it’s an important next step in his development.

Briggs is the No.1 ruckman in the competition for clearances, with his groundwork and ability to create multiple contests his biggest strength. That was on display against the Blues as he finished with 10 clearances, 12 hitouts to advantage and 16 contested possessions in a near-best-on-ground performance.

Given how much the Giants’ midfield group had been questioned over the past two months, Briggs knew he had the potential to be the one to lift and help inspire his side against one of the best teams in the competition.

And to lead their comeback from when they were 39 points down in the opening term has proven to be an important confidence booster for their run to September.

KIEREN BRIGGS' 2024 SEASON

GAMES: 16

AVERAGES

DISPOSALS: 15.9

MARKS: 1.9

TACKLES: 4.2

HITOUTS: 30.2

CLEARANCES: 7

SUPERCOACH: 92.6

“It was probably my one focus area for the week, the follow-up stuff,” Briggs said.

“Across the year on averages, I haven’t really been doing that and that’s my game.

“Especially based off Mummy’s (Shane Mumford) career as well, it was all that follow-up stuff. So as soon as the ball hits the ground or is off hands, I get after it and apply pressure if I’m not picking it up myself.

“(After the first quarter) I just tried to remain settled. It’s easy to lose your head and get lost for the rest of the game, it was a bit scary.

“But Mummy just said to forget about the first quarter and go from there. I think we managed to do a good job in nullifying their influence for the rest of the game.

“We’ve sort of been challenged on that momentum piece in the last few weeks and teams kicking six or seven goals on us. We need to fix that up, but to be able to respond like that, unlike we have in previous weeks, was really pleasing.”

Briggs knows that generating pressure has to be the key focus for the Giants over the next seven weeks. When they turned it on against the Blues, they looked unstoppable, and they have a chance to double down on Sunday against the bottom-placed Tigers.

The ruckman will yet again look to set the tempo. The new rules at centre bounces have given him the license to be physical with his opposing ruck, something he used to great effect in his one-on-one battle against Tom De Koning.

Finally, it feels like the orange tsunami is starting to build again. And it has Briggs excited for another chance to get to the big stage.

“The new rules around centre bounce are great and we’ve been working on ways to find what works best for me,” Briggs said. “Whether it’s jumping or not jumping, it’s looking at their athleticism and taking it away from them.

“We’re getting after it more. After quarter time, you could tell it felt like there were more orange jumpers around the contest. For us to have that influence for longer is going to take us a long way in games, and to be able to get the ball back.

“Last year, we actually gave the ball back more than we did this year. And Kingers said we were playing with a bit of a handbrake this year. We were more daring on the weekend and I think you can only do that if you’re bringing the pressure.

“It’s only one win from 5th to 13th. We know how important each win is and we don’t want to end up in the same situation as last year where we’re relying on other teams to lose to be in. We’re confident in the way that we can win games and don’t want to put our destiny in other people’s hands…that’ll take us a long way to finals.”

Shouldn't tell us what to do, but a poor video from Toby. We need to focus on lifting our own game.
Swans have a number of advantages over GWS, if i was them I wouldn't be apologising for it.
I thought it was hilarious.
Heeney's apology video was strange, parodying it was funny and well received by everyone bar the Swans.

That's too tight.
Also I'd much prefer to play Essendon at home than at Marvel. They tend to get a good run on there...or would it be the G?
It would be at the 'G.

If the AFL believes they can get a bigger crowd than capacity allows at Marvel the game will be at the 'G. Same as Saints game last year.

I think Essendon would exceed the Saints crowd last year so can pencil it in at the 'G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This young fella is the perfect player to inspire the next generation of Giants supporters and juniors.
They had a light Captains run at Valo on Saturday morning before they left for Melbourne and out of all the players my eldest wanted a photo with was Darcy and TFG

Very similar to the AFL's top 8 ladder prediction.

AFL.com.au's predicted final ladder*​

1. Sydney
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Brisbane
5. Fremantle
6. Essendon
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Melbourne

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. Gold Coast
12. Port Adelaide
13. Collingwood
14. St Kilda
15. Adelaide
16. North Melbourne
17. West Coast
18. Richmond

* Our eight reporters completed our ladder predictor and picked their expected top eight. Their responses were then tallied and averaged out to get a combined predicted ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back