News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a big loss. Smart, practical and speaks on the clubs behalf in his multiple footy media roles.
Also brings us street cred, we needed that badly in the early days

Phil Davis understands the true extent of the struggle players at interstate clubs have to deal with. The former GWS captain and Adelaide defender was basically on a plane every second weekend throughout his 192 AFL games. The equalisation of the game has been a topic of conversation across the course of 2024 due to the vast amount of variables that clubs and players face.

Davis was asked what he perceives to be the biggest inequality in the game right now. “It’s travel,” Davis said on SEN’s Crunch Time. “Travel will always be the biggest challenge for interstate clubs.” Davis provided an example of how exhausting travel is for interstate clubs and how it affects their week-to-week activities. “Clubs fly down and get on a 10:30am flight, they have a full day of travel and have to train,” he added. “They then play and get on a 10am flight on Sunday morning and won't get to their house until 1pm in the afternoon. If (the player) doesn't go to the club Monday, you miss a full day of review, and that review pushes to Tuesday, then you miss training now as well. Your training gets impacted by travel or your rest gets impacted, and that's the decision that interstate travel teams will always have to face.”

Davis, who has had a long career outside of Victoria, knows the weekly troubles interstate players face as he himself remembers the difficulties. “Travel is the most difficult thing in the game,” he said. “Getting on a plane 14 times a year is exhausting.”

Also brings us street cred, we needed that badly in the early days

Yeah, I think they need to replace him with someone that has a media presence. The club got spoken about a lot more coz Jimmy was on multiple shows. I'm not sure who the options are though, maybe Davis, but I don't think he has a permanent gig anywhere.

At least de boer is on the commission so speaks on the clubs behalf to the afl.

Daisy Thomas is a smart football guy, on tv and radio a lot, selwood and cotchin won't last long in the media, they're too boring. Stevie J? But he's only on radio.. I'm sure when Bartel was selected everybody was a bit confused at first, but he has proven himself to be a good spokesperson for the club.

Davis, who has had a long career outside of Victoria, knows the weekly troubles interstate players face as he himself remembers the difficulties. “Travel is the most difficult thing in the game,” he said. “Getting on a plane 14 times a year is exhausting.”
If you're going to play interstate, play for the Suns. They only need to get on a plane 11 times a year, 12 with Gather Round, at most.

Hmm, I guess without someone already embedded with GWS, the risk is choosing another outsider, or someone with any tenuous connections to GWS, may look poor. I do like the idea of Phil Davis - smart and can commentate. Maybe the club or the AFL needs to help him find a permanent media gig.

Hmm, I guess without someone already embedded with GWS, the risk is choosing another outsider, or someone with any tenuous connections to GWS, may look poor. I do like the idea of Phil Davis - smart and can commentate. Maybe the club or the AFL needs to help him find a permanent media gig.
I think his bits on Whateley are a way to ease him in.

Phil for Bartel is an absolute must.

Respected, bright, articulate and with a media presence.

I don’t know want it may take, but the club absolutely must make it happen.

Wild idea, but if he gets embedded in a Board role and enjoys it he may logically become our next CEO.

Shares of the Brendan Gale experience at the Tigers?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wild idea, but if he gets embedded in a Board role and enjoys it he may logically become our next CEO.

Shades

Looking I See You GIF by Bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See him a few mornings of the week in South Yarra. Seems to be settling in to Melbourne life.

What’s his business acumen like? A good, well spoken player doesn’t necessarily make a good CEO.

Back in 2010 I would’ve tipped Daniel Jackson for the CEO of the AFL.

Was never one to make correct future predictions.

Agree he would be a good choice for the Football Director spot.
Long bow to then become next CEO. Would need to follow a path like Tom Harley. A board membership would likely restrict him getting the necessary management roles and experience.
Gale practiced law and ran the AFL Players Association before getting the Tigers job.
It’s a bloody big job and hopefully Matthews will be gone long before Phil is ready.

I may be completely wrong here. But is that former 7 ceo James Warburton in a giants scarf? I think it is. Also I don't think it is her, but it kinda looks like Jacqui O next to him. They'd be some great Sydney celebrity fans to acquire. Warburton in particular I rate, he did a great job at 7.

20240804_160232.jpg

20240804_160301.jpg

I may be completely wrong here. But is that former 7 ceo James Warburton in a giants scarf? I think it is. Also I don't think it is her, but it kinda looks like Jacqui O next to him. They'd be some great Sydney celebrity fans to acquire. Warburton in particular I rate, he did a great job at 7.

View attachment 2069149

View attachment 2069151
As long as they promote and put us out there, all well and good to say they are a fan but they can do something to help the club

Just re watched it. The good news is, its Warburton and he is singing the theme song. I had no idea he is a fan. The bad news is, it's probably his mrs next to him and not Jacqui O, the lady is also singing the song.
I disagree about that being bad news, I'm fine with having no association with that particular radio show

I disagree about that being bad news, I'm fine with having no association with that particular radio show

Lol agree but it would be good for promotion, I think it's the biggest radio show in Sydney, in Melbourne not so much.

Jimmy Bartel explains decision to leave the GWS Giants as footy director

Remove this Banner Ad

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back