Toast Giants Social Media - Best in the Business.

Remove this Banner Ad

The fallout from the Giants' cheeky swipe at Swans star Isaac Heeney's bizarre video last week has continued, with reports that GWS skipper Toby Greene messaged the Sydney midfielder before the post went live. Last week, the Swans posted a video of Heeney's "heartfelt" apology to supporters after his attempt to overturn a one-match suspension at the AFL appeals board failed, ruling him out of Brownlow contention.

The Giants reportedly believe they got the Swans' approval to post the video, via a text chain between Greene and Heeney. "Before the Toby Greene video, he sent a text message to Isaac Heeney, which in the Giants' eyes, gave him (Heeney) the heads up that something was coming (the video)," Nine's chief football reporter Tom Morris said on Footy Classified on Monday night. "Heeney responded with a thumbs up, which in the Giants' eyes ... was enough to suggest he got approval."

However, Morris confirmed that Heeney's response did not act as a go-ahead for the Giants. "The Sydney Swans didn't approve anything, they just thought it might be a little cheeky something," he said. "They didn't think it would be as damaging or as serious as it ended up being in the Swans' eyes. There's no doubt that even though Heeney and Greene are business partners - and they'll be fine - there's been a bit of tension over this incident."

Sydney superstar Isaac Heeney and GWS Giants gun Toby Greene have crossed paths for the first time since last week’s social media banter caught the attention of the AFL world. The Swans published a video of Heeney thanking the club and its supporters in the wake of his failed AFL Appeals Board appeal, before the Giants social media team and Greene hit back in hilarious fashion. Sydney chief executive Tom Harley labelled the video as “low-brow”, while others, including Hawthorn legend and Fox Footy expert Jason Dunstall said the Swans were being “a little bit precious”.

But both Heeney and Greene teamed up on Wednesday to host their 5th Quarter Camps at Moore Park, quickly putting to bed any rumours of bad blood. “He’s awesome, we’re good mates,” Heeney said. “So, no love lost there. I’ve just got ammo now. They’ve got to wait for my turn, it’ll come. It’s absolutely in the back pocket. It was a nice little gag there, and there will be a gag coming from me soon too, I reckon. We’ll keep focusing on being on top of the ladder, they can keep focusing on being comedians.”

The Giants skipper said he didn’t think the video would go as viral as it has. At the time of writing, the Giants’ post has over 875,000 views on X. “It got a bit more media (coverage) than I thought it would do,” Greene replied. “I think (the media team’s) role is getting cut-through in the Western Sydney market. That’s a bit of what you’ve got to do. I can certainly appreciate how hard it is to cut-through in Sydney with footy – they’ve got to be on the edge a little bit. But I can understand that people get frustrated as well.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Giants Social Media - Best in the Business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back