Go on......

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the **** the English selectors picked Ashley McGrath ahead of Ed Smith at the start of the summer if just a **** up.

Smith is a good batsmen - not great, but VERY competent middle order batsmen.

So England will manage to lose on the 5th day,instead of the usual 3rd or 4th day. :D

I saw up to just before tea and Ntini had been warned twice about running on the pitch.Have the Pom's got any other left handers to come ? [I didn't see Smith bat,so I'm not sure if he's left or right]
It could spell trouble for Ntini.

Originally posted by Brett Li
...Nas, you show'em fella.

England 293/3

Hussain 108*
Smith 40*

Butcher 106

Wouldnt get too excited about winning the match with the bowling attack of Anderson, Harmison, Kirtley, Giles, Flintoff, that certainly wouldnt be sending shivers up the spine if I was Smith, Gibbs, Kallis, Boucher and co. Hope I am wrong though !!!! ;)

Originally posted by JUBJUB
So England will manage to lose on the 5th day,instead of the usual 3rd or 4th day. :D

I saw up to just before tea and Ntini had been warned twice about running on the pitch.Have the Pom's got any other left handers to come ? [I didn't see Smith bat,so I'm not sure if he's left or right]
It could spell trouble for Ntini.

Only Anderson I think.

Re: Re: Go on......

Originally posted by EagleBlue
Wouldnt get too excited about winning the match with the bowling attack of Anderson, Harmison, Kirtley, Giles, Flintoff, that certainly wouldnt be sending shivers up the spine if I was Smith, Gibbs, Kallis, Boucher and co. Hope I am wrong though !!!! ;)

I wouldn't disagree with you but this pitch has started off really cracked & there was a bit of uneven bounce early on, they reckon that it might flatten out on the 2nd & 3rd days but may be dodgt to bat on towards the end of the match.

A big first innings total & I reckon we've got a chance.

Don't know why they've picked Kirltey though (or put Chapple in the squad).

Originally posted by Brett Li
...Nas, you show'em fella.

England 293/3

Hussain 108*
Smith 40*

Butcher 106

Essex man to the rescue.:D

Looks like Hussain has found the freedom to concentrate on his batting whilst Vaughn has the cares of captaincy on his shoulders.

They should have given the captaincy to somebody whose form is so shocking that it couldn't possibly get any worse, maybe Giles.;)

Originally posted by nicko18
South Africa lead the 5 test series 2 - 0

It's only 1 - 0, rain saving England in the 1st test.

It's also worth noting that last time SA toured England in 1998, England were down 0 - 1 after the 2nd and 3rd tests but still won the series 2 -1.

Re: Re: Re: Go on......

Originally posted by DIPPER
I wouldn't disagree with you but this pitch has started off really cracked & there was a bit of uneven bounce early on, they reckon that it might flatten out on the 2nd & 3rd days but may be dodgt to bat on towards the end of the match.

A big first innings total & I reckon we've got a chance.

Need to get Kallis soon. SAF batting lineup is very deep. No wonder England got nearly 450. SAF bowling line-up of Pollock, Ntini, Kallis, Hall, Adams !!!!! What a star-studded attack

BTW Has Kirtleys action been scrutinized in the past. If it has I can certainly understand why :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Go on......

Need to get Kallis soon. SAF batting lineup is very deep. No wonder England got nearly 450. SAF bowling line-up of Pollock, Ntini, Kallis, Hall, Adams !!!!! What a star-studded attack

Yeah well they managed to bowl us out twice in the last Test. :(

As for their batting line up, the pitch is misbehaving more with some uneven bounce, with runs in the bank we must have a good chance, it's going to be no fun to bat on later.

BTW Has Kirtleys action been scrutinized in the past. If it has I can certainly understand why :D

Yes it has, he had to re-model it.In this match I've also seen Halls' action on the slow-mo & it looks like his elbow straightens.

Originally posted by Jim Boy
It's only 1 - 0, rain saving England in the 1st test.

It's also worth noting that last time SA toured England in 1998, England were down 0 - 1 after the 2nd and 3rd tests but still won the series 2 -1.

I tell you what that was one of the best performances I've seen by an England cricket side, basically we won a 5 Test series against a side that was clearly much better than us.

I remember looking at the end of series averages & it was hard to see how we won, there was one particular stat that they kept showing & it was the average runs both teams were scoring for each place in the batting order, it was pretty close for 1-5 but from then on they were averaging a huge amount more than us, they were getting big runs from 6-9 especially whilst our tail wasn't wagging at all & yet somehow we won.

There was some crazy umpiring in that series as well, really crazy, both teams suffered badly it wasn't biased towards one side but it definitely helped us win the 4th Test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go on......

Yeah well they managed to bowl us out twice in the last Test. :(

I think you will find that SAF played an extra bowler in the last test and Englands batting, particularly in the 1st Innings of that test bordered on pathetic. SAF are now back in this match and if England dont get at least 200 in the 2nd dig, they are in big trouble. England has certainly let SAF off the hook. Must see Pollock off, he is the bowler who can rip through a side very quickly and at the cost of bugger-all runs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go on......

I think you will find that SAF played an extra bowler in the last test and Englands batting, particularly in the 1st Innings of that test bordered on pathetic. SAF are now back in this match and if England dont get at least 200 in the 2nd dig, they are in big trouble. England has certainly let SAF off the hook. Must see Pollock off, he is the bowler who can rip through a side very quickly and at the cost of bugger-all runs.

England batting was pathetic for sure, I'm not sure about the issue of them playing the extra bowler-they've brought Kallis in for that guy Zondenki (whatever his name is) & although Kallis is a batting allrounder I reckon he's still a better bowler than him.

It's funny in the last Test it was Pollock who bowled a really good line keeping it tight but it was Ntini who bagged 10 for the match, he's a much better bowler than I remember from last time but also he gets wickets that are due to what Pollock does at the other end.

We've certainly let them off the hook in this game especially as we had them 5 down for somewhere in the low hundreds but we know they bat a long way down & once the ball got old the pitch is very slow & taking wickets got more tricky.

The pitch is getting worse but it's happeneing slowly so far, it's the newish ball that seems to behave worse, in theory a lead of even 80 odd should have been enough to win going into the 4th day but the momentum is with them now especially after taking Trescothick in the last over of the day (& firts ball of the innings) looked like a bad decision to me, can't work umpires out in this match they've been scared to give out a number of almost plumb LBW decision s but than can happily give a catch to short leg that looked like it went off the thigh pad.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go on......

England batting was pathetic for sure, I'm not sure about the issue of them playing the extra bowler-they've brought Kallis in for that guy Zondenki (whatever his name is) & although Kallis is a batting allrounder I reckon he's still a better bowler than him.

I think you will find that because SAF are 1-0 up they are playing the extra batsman to protect the lead, a throwback to the Kepler Wessles and to a lesser extent the Cronje years where you play to "not lose" first and to win if the opportunity arises. A reason they could not beat the Aussies in their first 2 series wins after holding a 1-0 lead. I would have played Pretorius as the extra bowler, I saw him play against Aus is SAF last year and he was quite impressive, obviously hasnt gone on with it since then.

BTW Very ****ed off about the coverage not starting until 9pm tonight. Bl00dy rugby league !!!!. And its a replay :mad:

Hopefully England will regain the advantage tonight, even if they belt Kallis all over the park (again). Too see his face after he gets belted to the boundary is priceless :D

england have "recovered" from 5/44 to 9/115 with 45 overs remaining in the day, a lead of 198. wouldn't say RSA have it in the bag yet. two golden ducks in the innings.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go on......

I think you will find that because SAF are 1-0 up they are playing the extra batsman to protect the lead, a throwback to the Kepler Wessles and to a lesser extent the Cronje years where you play to "not lose" first and to win if the opportunity arises. A reason they could not beat the Aussies in their first 2 series wins after holding a 1-0 lead. I would have played Pretorius as the extra bowler, I saw him play against Aus is SAF last year and he was quite impressive, obviously hasnt gone on with it since then.

BTW Very ****ed off about the coverage not starting until 9pm tonight. Bl00dy rugby league !!!!. And its a replay :mad:

Hopefully England will regain the advantage tonight, even if they belt Kallis all over the park (again). Too see his face after he gets belted to the boundary is priceless :D

I'm not sure about them playing the extra batsman, I think Pretorius got injured & they've basically repalced Kirsten (injured) with McKenzie & then they've replaced that Zondenki (still not sure if that's right) with Kallis, of course Kallis strengthens the batting but I don't think he loses anything as a bowler to that guy so essentially they have the same number of bowlers but one more batsman.
I think basically Kallis had to come back in, you could have replaced a frontline bowler or a front line batsmen with him, but if it had been a batsman then they'd have had 6 bowlers playing.

Anyway they're chasing 202 & we've got them 28-2, need to get Gibbs out as he's scoring quickly & could take the game awya from us, the lesson from the 1st innings is we need to make the new ball count, although the pitch is behaving badly it's easier to deal with when the ball is old & soft.

I know what you're saying about negative SA tactics but this time I don't think you can really say that.

Re: Re: Re: Go on......

WTF do I know Kirtley took 6 for in the last innings to bowl us to victory.

I'll be intersted to see if he can repeat the trick on better batting pitches but credit where it's due he outbowled the rest of the attack, he's I think essentially a poor man's Darren Gough.

I'll be intersted to see if he can repeat the trick on better batting pitches but credit where it's due he outbowled the rest of the attack, he's I think essentially a poor man's Darren Gough.

Just found out that England have recalled Martin Bicknell for the next test. WTF :eek: Have they no bowlers in county cricket ???? Or are they just looking to shore up their attack with some experience ????? Personally I think Harmison on 1 leg would have been better value :D

he's I think essentially a poor man's Darren Gough.

If he takes half the wickets Goughy took then he has done double what I thought he would. :)

Just found out that England have recalled Martin Bicknell for the next test. WTF :eek: Have they no bowlers in county cricket ???? Or are they just looking to shore up their attack with some experience ????? Personally I think Harmison on 1 leg would have been better value :D

Martin Bicknell? The same Bicknell who nearly clobbered England to victory against Australia @ the MCG, in a WSC cup game about 10 seasons back? Hasn't he got a (younger) brother? Stephen? Sure it's not him?

Yeah let's see how he handles bowling on a "road". I could've got wickets on this pitch!:eek: ;)

You're joking?I didn't realise that.

Bicknell's been a real solid performer in county cricket over a number of years but basically he couldn't hack it at Test level when he was young so what's changed?

It's hardly a like for like replacement either is it?But I suppose once again they've been sucked into the Headingley factor of it being a swing bowler's paradise, that's shaky ground because about half the time it is & the other half it's a graveyard for the not so quick not so tall swing bowler types.

As for no bowlers in county cricket, a few of the obvious candidates have suffered injuries Gough, Caddick, Jones & Hoggard but the 2 that I'm sure are getting in the selector''s thoughts are Kabir Ali & Steve Kirby, both taken a lot of wickets at a good average this season.

I'm surprised neither of them was given the nod, Kirby is hyper aggresive, always mouthing off to batsmen(quite a few have look close to having a punch up with hi on the pitch), he's bloody expensive but also has a good strike rate.

Ali is a shortish quick skiddish swing bowler who can bat a bit.

The thing is with Bicknell is that he's never going to go on tour with England unless he takes about 10 for in both these alst 2 Tests so what's the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Go on......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back