SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
I'm gonna be barracking for St.Kilda today, and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart it will be the first and last time I will ever, ever say that. I feel terrible for doing so. But there is a reason :p....

If they finish 5th then we finish sixth and play North, where a win will have us playing in Melbourne against the out of form Dogs or the Hawks who seem to struggle against us (apart from the match earlier this year). If the Saints lose then we will face them in week one, where a win will have us against either the Crows in Adelaide or Geelong at the G, yuck.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Carn the scum,

SS.

I'm gonna be barracking for St.Kilda today, and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart it will be the first and last time I will ever, ever say that. I feel terrible for doing so. But there is a reason :p....

If they finish 5th then we finish sixth and play North, where a win will have us playing in Melbourne against the out of form Dogs or the Hawks who seem to struggle against us (apart from the match earlier this year). If the Saints lose then we will face them in week one, where a win will have us against either the Crows in Adelaide or Geelong at the G, yuck.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Carn the scum,

SS.
Sounds good in theory,but as we are testament to, form can go from good to bad(& v-v) in the space of 7 days.

Only problem is that we've traditionally struggled against North - well, at least in the last few years. Let's hope we can turn it around. :thumbsu:
Yes we have, and I think everyone is overlooking this fact. In the infamous game earlier this year, only a late rush got us back into it, otherwise it was looking very similar to the hiding they gave us last year. I would much rather play St Kilda than North, even though I would love the Swans to stick it to the Roos over the 19th man incident.

As for today's game, I'd prefer Saints to win for the reasons stated above, but as long as they don't draw I'll be over the moon.

Only problem is that we've traditionally struggled against North - well, at least in the last few years. Let's hope we can turn it around. :thumbsu:
We drew to them at their home ground earlier this year and they just copped a 74-point drubbing by a side in the bottom four. They've also lost to bottom eight sides Brisbane, Freo and Essendon. I'd prefer to play them than a side who beat us earlier in the year and have won 7 of their last 9 including wins against North, Hawthorn and Adelaide.

I have a solution!!

Send Nick Davis to the sauna lose a few Kgs!!!

Then Play both Vezsupremi and Davis in number 2!!! It might resurrect Davis career!!

19 men:thumbsu:... we cop the rap might, as well do it properly this time!:D

OP makes sense, provided we can get past North. I'd rate us a chance against either, but probably more of a chance against the Saints. Playing the Doggies in week 2 would be a damn sight better than the Crows.

We drew to them at their home ground earlier this year and they just copped a 74-point drubbing by a side in the bottom four. They've also lost to bottom eight sides Brisbane, Freo and Essendon. I'd prefer to play them than a side who beat us earlier in the year and have won 7 of their last 9 including wins against North, Hawthorn and Adelaide.

But we beat the Saints comfortably last time we played them, and the last time we beat the Roos was a tight game we didn't deserve to win two years ago. Since then they've beaten us, and only a late surge this year salvaged a draw.

We'd play better against the Saints.

However, for the sake of not copping the Cats in Week 3, go Saints. :thumbsu:

But we beat the Saints comfortably last time we played them, and the last time we beat the Roos was a tight game we didn't deserve to win two years ago. Since then they've beaten us, and only a late surge this year salvaged a draw.

We'd play better against the Saints.

However, for the sake of not copping the Cats in Week 3, go Saints. :thumbsu:
But we would cop the Cats in week 3. It's for the sake of not copping Adelaide in week 2 that you'd be rooting fot the Saints.

I don't agree with the thinking in this thread at all.

Whilst Adelaide in Adelaide will be tough, I don't think it will be any harder than Bulldogs/Hawks in Melbourne. Finish 5th (ie. Saints lose) and we can avoid Geelong until GF day.

I'd rather be playing Geelong on GF day then PF day. I can't believe anybody could think otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's assuming we make the Grand Final. We have a far better chance of making it to week three if the Saints won, than if they lost. We have a good record against the Dogs and Hawks, its just the last few times they've knocked us off, and even then not by much.

But that's assuming we make the Grand Final. We have a far better chance of making it to week three if the Saints won, than if they lost.

I want to go further than week 3. I want us:

a) To win the flag
b) To make the GF.

Saints losing gives us a better chance to do that, IMO.

If you are happy to get knocked out by Geelong on PF day, so be it.

If you are happy to get knocked out by Geelong on PF day, so be it.

I don't think it really makes much difference who we cop and when. We'd still have to beat 3 top 8 sides to make the GF, and beat the Cats in either a PF or GF. Saints or North next week won't make much difference, we'll have a shot against either and then run into a series of brick walls.

8.12.60 - 2.6.18 at half time.

Might not be a bad thing for them to claim fourth, then our bogeys teams can play each other and knock one of them out of the race.

True but you are more likley to meet Geelong twice by finishing 4th - they will be twice as ruthless if you meet again in GF partically if you manage to beat them the first time

6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other - my feeling is that Saints are better off using this game to create some good form going into the finals and worry about ladder position later

any chance Essendon are tanking so that Saints get 4th instead of Crows. I think they need ti win by like 100 points or so to overtake Crows on %

As a result of a post I made on another Swans fansite a while back after the Saints beat Hawthorn, I am now hoping that, if disaster were to strike and Geelong's best 22 each fell victim to mysterious accidents on the eve of the finals a la the softball team at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant on the Simpsons ( ;) ), St. Kilda win the flag (if we can't win it, of course). So, go the Sainters for top 4!! Only 6 more goals now to get the margin past 90...

For those that have no idea what I'm on about, I basically said that the Saints looked to have turned the corner under Ross Lyon after they beat the Hawks and his game plan had added discipline to their talented line-up, as they were playing with great self-belief at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Go Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back