Roast Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know what the f*** happened this pre-season. Jack, Griff even Vickery all used to be good set shots
jack is still ok, griffths is the one im disappointed in, so much potential , so to cotchin, dont know why he cant kick a set shot, hes normally good with his skills, defitnely its all in the head

the issues is accentuated when we have all the momentum early in games and go into to quarter time with something along the lines of 2.6 or 1.7. Have never rewarded our own effort and momentum with score board pressure, consequently turning a game that we should be in control of early in to an arm wrestle at best. Or worse the opposition get their turn of the momentum and bang on 4-5 unanswered goals. It must be completely mental

Good lord, this happens SO often that it's bordering on being a bit ridiculous. :eek:

I used to play off single figures then overnight I couldn't sink a putt inside 3 feet on the course. Practice green I would nail everyone of them. In the space of six months I was playing off 16 and gave it away. Technique never changed just the pressure I put in myself. Same applies to footy, 30m out directly in front everyone expects you to make it. So in your head you have kicked it before you take a step, then something in your mind creates doubt and next thing you miss it. Richo is exhibit A. 20m out we were all nervous as hell because we knew how much he struggled. 50m out on the boundary, no pressure bang through she goes.

No amount of practice at training can replicate the pressure that is created on the field. Players and coaches need to find a way that each individual can cope with it. Some have no problems right through their careers, some struggle from game 1. Vickery used to be a dead eye but is now struggling. I don't know if a psyc is needed at each club but I don't think it would hurt.

I agree that those knee-knocking 3 foot putts are very much like the set shots. Very mental indeed!! We need a good win to help settle things down and take the pressure off.

Vickery sucked last week but is usually one of our best set shots. I think he was nervous being his first game back since last year. There were good signs from him however so I hope to see him settle and resume as a reliable set shot. This should help team confidence immensely!! Obviously, others need to stand and deliver as well.

I quite often notice in other teams how quickly, easily and decisively set shots are converted and think to myself, "Jeez! He made that look easy!" Take a leaf out of their book?

hmmmm! What came first the chicken or the egg?

Don't over think it! Just doooooo!

I agree that those knee-knocking 3 foot putts are very much like the set shots. Very mental indeed!! We need a good win to help settle things down and take the pressure off.

Vickery sucked last week but is usually one of our best set shots. I think he was nervous being his first game back since last year. There were good signs from him however so I hope to see him settle and resume as a reliable set shot. This should help team confidence immensely!! Obviously, others need to stand and deliver as well.

I quite often notice in other teams how quickly, easily and decisively set shots are converted and think to myself, "Jeez! He made that look easy!" Take a leaf out of their book?

hmmmm! What came first the chicken or the egg?

Don't over think it! Just doooooo!
Vickery ? after been praised by the coach he get's dropped maybe cause his to reliable at the set shot's. Also what has happened to JR dead eye anywhere within 50 metres, since Dh said he didn't want to rely On him want's others to kick goals he's gone backwards. So much so now i don't have any confidence every time he lines up.

They need to employ whoever fixed Lindsay Thomas!!!

The bloke was scared sh*%less infront of goal 3 years ago, couldn't kick a goal if his life depended on it.

Now he barely misses. Find out who it is and give him lots of cash...

They need to employ whoever fixed Lindsay Thomas!!!

The bloke was scared sh*%less infront of goal 3 years ago, couldn't kick a goal if his life depended on it.

Now he barely misses. Find out who it is and give him lots of cash...
Don't know about him but i can't remember who taught jack to kick straight he couldn't miss he would do for us.

Don't know about him but i can't remember who taught jack to kick straight he couldn't miss he would do for us.

Danny Daly was the Forward coach in 2010 when Jack had his breakout season. In fact under Daly, our forward line was far more deadly, and functional than what it is under Williams.

Danny Daly was the Forward coach in 2010 when Jack had his breakout season. In fact under Daly, our forward line was far more deadly, and functional than what it is under Williams.
Williams is ****ing hopeless, the best thing he can do for the club is go somewhere else and destroy them in every role he undertakes .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just looking over where the goals against us have come from an found quite a pattern.

Games we have lost.
Dogs.png
Demons.png

Geelong.png
North.png

Games we have won.

Carlton.png
Brisbane.png

It seems in all our loses we have bled about half the goals kicked against us from inside or just outside the goal square. And our wins we have hardly let any.
Is it a problem with our defence that they are letting the position get too many easy point blank goals?

On the flip side in our loses we can't seem to get shots at goal from those dangerous positions. The North game being the worst, we barely had a shot from inside 30m.

As a side note that shot chart from the Demons game is just embarrassing. 10 misses from between 10 and 40m with nearly no angle.

I think the real story will be told when you correlate those goal square goals with whether those goals came about as a result of a richmond turnover and all our players being out of position and opposition players not being manned up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back