Port Adelaide
Rd 3 v Brisbane 4th Qtr
Rd 5 v Geelong 4th Qtr
Rd 11 v Hawthorn 2nd Qtr
Rd 12 v Richmond 4th Qtr
Rd 15 v Carlton 3rd Qtr
Rd 17 v Fremantle 2nd Qtr
Rd 21 v West Coast 4th Qtr

7!!! Goalless quarters already from us this year. 4 in the last quarter.... Amazingly we still won 3 of those games.

I would be interested to see how that stacks up with the rest of the league, especially teams in the top 8.

Is it coaching? leadership? or both?

Our inability to stop and change momentum and score is our biggest weakness. I have seen the blueprint of last nights game far too many times. We get up by a few goals then try and hold off a 4th qtr barrage of repeat entry after repeat entry while we remain goalless at the other end.

Rd 3 v Brisbane 4th Qtr
Rd 5 v Geelong 4th Qtr
Rd 11 v Hawthorn 2nd Qtr
Rd 12 v Richmond 4th Qtr
Rd 15 v Carlton 3rd Qtr
Rd 17 v Fremantle 2nd Qtr
Rd 21 v West Coast 4th Qtr

7!!! Goalless quarters already from us this year. 4 in the last quarter.... Amazingly we still won 3 of those games.

I would be interested to see how that stacks up with the rest of the league, especially teams in the top 8.

Is it coaching? leadership? or both?

Our inability to stop and change momentum and score is our biggest weakness. I have seen the blueprint of last nights game far too many times. We get up by a few goals then try and hold off a 4th qtr barrage of repeat entry after repeat entry while we remain goalless at the other end.

I reckon we've had our share of 1 goal quarters as well.

2 of those quaters we were scoreless, and one of them we managed a single point.

It is a joke, the club needs a massive shake up at seasons end, and if that means we are rabble for a couple of years then so be it.

I reckon we've had our share of 1 goal quarters as well.

Yep, i noticed this while i was going through the results at least 3-4. Its unacceptable for a professional AFL team really.

Carlton have had 8
Gold Coast have had 10
St Kilda 5

Richmond 2
West Coast 2
Hawthorn 1

At least we are in illustrious company

I'd like to say yesterday was an understandable circumstance... but we had multiple attempts fall short in the goalsquare, and also behinds

Remember circa 2014 when our game plan was the most attacking and best in the league...

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... the club needs a massive shake up at seasons end, and if that means we are rabble for a couple of years then so be it.
Yeah that was the thought at Carlton in the recent Malthouse era and yet when Ratten got the boot they were not a terrible club. However they went full Pol Pot on their list and the consequences of doing that couldn't be clearer.
We also are not a terrible club, it's just that the practice of recruiting potential game-changers from other clubs hasn't taken us forward one iota. If there's anything that needs a shake-up that is it. We burn salary cap and draft picks on big-name players who individually might have a great game or two but don't make us a better team at all.
The shake-up I want to see is recruiting and developing our own players for a while, and letting the dust settle on the era that saw us get Ryder, Dixon, and last year's buy-ins.

Carlton have had 8
Gold Coast have had 10
St Kilda 5

Richmond 2
West Coast 2
Hawthorn 1

At least we are in illustrious company

Gold Coast, St Kilda and Carlton are all bottom four sides, two weeks ago we were supposed to be a top four side.

What would be interesting is to compare the points for at the end of round 21 in 2017 with the number of points we have scored this year.

Not too sure where our 2017 attack has gone.

How many times have we kept our opposition goalless. This might add some clarity
That has nothing to do with it. That's the job of the defense. There's no excuses why we shouldn't be going goalless with Dixon, Watts, Westhoff, Wingard, Gray and a raft of mids that get on the score board.

That has nothing to do with it. That's the job of the defense. There's no excuses why we shouldn't be going goalless with Dixon, Watts, Westhoff, Wingard, Gray and a raft of mids that get on the score board.

Our team defense mantra definitely means it has everything to do with it.

We aren't a 'ball has crossed halfway - not our problem anymore!' unit.

One day we may find the perfect balance of how much to defend and attack and it will be so sweet.

It doesn't even need to be a balance. It just needs to be making hay while the sun shines. If ken were a farmer he'd be like 'that's enough hay for now, let's pack it in and save our energy for emergency hay making in case it stars raining' at 2 in the arvo.

Last edited:
We no longer attempt to kick goals from outside 50.

Why? Our opponents regularly do.

You could even pose an argument that these scores are the difference.

Our players can’t even make the distance from 50 out.

We are Port Adelaide. We exist to soccer it through from a tight angle.

We no longer attempt to kick goals from outside 50.

Why? Our opponents regularly do.

You could even pose an argument that these scores are the difference.

Our players can’t even make the distance from 50 out.

We are Port Adelaide. We exist to soccer it through from a tight angle.

^^ This!!! Yeo slots one from 55m out no dramas.... we just keep hacking it forward until Robbie slots one from the pocket..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back