Going To Gigs On Your Own

Remove this Banner Ad

I go to a few on my own if I can't find people to go with, don't really see a problem with it, although it can get a bit boring between acts. I saw Interpol on my own last week, and happened to bump in to people I knew there. I went to The National on my own on Sunday, which was a little more strange as it was a seated gig, but still incredible.
I kind of prefer it, as I always have trouble with organizing people to go, many times I've bought people tickets and had them pull out. No problem with it at all.
No point missing out because you can't find people to go with you.

I go to a few on my own if I can't find people to go with, don't really see a problem with it, although it can get a bit boring between acts. I saw Interpol on my own last week, and happened to bump in to people I knew there. I went to The National on my own on Sunday, which was a little more strange as it was a seated gig, but still incredible.
I kind of prefer it, as I always have trouble with organizing people to go, many times I've bought people tickets and had them pull out. No problem with it at all.
No point missing out because you can't find people to go with you.

Went to both of those :p

I do like having mates there at seated gigs actually.

Was sitting next to a girl at The Strokes who was on her lonesome and felt slightly sorry for her..

ahhhh yes festy hall. feel like i'm walking into a prison in that place. i thought i remembered them advertised for the palace but memory is failing me. must be getting old.

Mate and I were talking about going to the footy alone, is that taboo?

I rarely go alone these days but I used to a fair bit. I used to go to standing room and just mix in with the mob there. You usually end up talking to someone.

The worst thing is when you go to a gig with somebody and they end up being one of those people that seeit as purely a social event and want to chat instead of listen.

I remember letting a mate know about a gig at the Festival of Perth. He bought tickets and went along with some other people but I remember noticing they just faced each other and chatted all the way through the gig.

Glad they did not stand with me.

I'm one of those people that goes to gigs and talks their head off to a friend, or pays $150 for a festival just to see one band and then gets so wasted they don't even remember to see anything.

Last gig I went to lonesome was when my girl was too ill to make the show and no one else was around, it wasn't so bad but I'd have rather had her company, particularly for moments when the band was boring.

Usually I'll just pony up some money and drag someone along if I want to see something, but really, if there's something you want to see, what's cooler? Seeing it, or staying home and wishing you were somewhere else? **** that!

Another vote for "Just do it!"

I remember letting a mate know about a gig at the Festival of Perth. He bought tickets and went along with some other people but I remember noticing they just faced each other and chatted all the way through the gig.

At Big Day Out last year during Muse all these ****s around me (closer to the tents than to the stage) were just chatting to each other. Real mood killer.

Then some guy got on the roof tent and heaps of people turned around and watched bottle gets thrown at him instead. What the **** :confused:

I went to the Obese Block Party by myself last year, which was the first time I'd done it.

I had a good time, but I was sort of sandbagged into it - Some people that told me they were going didn't go, and I decided to go alone rather than waste the ticket.

I don't know if I'd intentionally buy a ticket to something intending to go alone the whole time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy alone: Sh*t experience
Movie alone: 20 times better than going with someone (p & q rules)
Gig alone: Not as good as with mates, but hard to get anyone else to come along nowadays.

I don't really have any friends into the same bands as me so I seem to attend almost all the concerts I go to alone. These are predominantly hardcore shows though, so it's pretty easy to get into it. Just standing around before and between bands sucks

Really only been to one gig alone and that was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in 2007. Ended up talking to a girl on the bus on the way there, turns out she was going alone, turns out she went to the same uni as me, turns out we were in the same class. Had a very good time with her and even met some people there that I knew.

Would happily hit up a gig by myself.

Really only been to one gig alone and that was Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in 2007. Ended up talking to a girl on the bus on the way there, turns out she was going alone, turns out she went to the same uni as me, turns out we were in the same class. Had a very good time with her and even met some people there that I knew.

Would happily hit up a gig by myself.
Thats where the story ends? :p

So nearly all the gigs I attend are on my own and I've adjusted completely to being by myself. Was a bit strange at first but enables me to see all the bands I want, which has been quite a few over the past year.

Don't like dragging friends along who aren't interested either; makes me feel a bit guilty.

Probably wont go to a festival alone again, as I did last year. Just an inescapable feeling of loneliness and isolation all day. Wasn't worth it at all.

Most of the gigs I attend are alone, it's not exactly easy to find someone to go to every gig I attend though (120 gigs last year), so I just buy one ticket to most gigs and if a friend happens to be attending I'll catch up with them there.
Ha, since then I attend just as many gigs but usually with someone or a group these days. It now sucks to go to a gig alone because I'm so used to being with people!

I never used to drink much at gigs either, but being part of a crew (that started early 2011) called the tequila gig crew (now with 70 members) has changed that.

I really want to go to Laneway Festival. The lineup contains two of my favourite bands of 2011 (Yuck and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart). But I actually turn 18 ten days before the Perth leg. And so, I probably won't end up going.

I was heavily considering just checking it out by myself. I kind of left my old high school friends. Someone in this thread mentioned an overbearing loneliness when at a festival with no one else. There's obviously a different atmosphere, something a little more social and carnival-like. I probably couldn't enter the gates alone. But if my friends wanted to see some Aussie hip hop over Radiohead, I'd be cool to walk around by myself.

Never been to a gig at all (location, age). But I'd heavily consider going on my lonesome. I live in Perth for uni now, so I was actually entertaining the idea of going to Snakadaktal live. I find their music to be that of a poor man's Foals. But it's only 12 dollars, and it'll give me something to do. And the chick is so cute. So I'm pretty happy to do that alone.

I've only ever gone to the footy with mates or my old man. But I'd probably entertain the idea of going alone. I'm by no means a hermit or misanthrope, but I really like hanging out by myself. I'm moving to Melbourne next year, so going alone as a neutral doesn't seem too intimidating. I probably couldn't go to a Freo game by myself, however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Going To Gigs On Your Own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back