Gold Coast Up Ablett Ante

Remove this Banner Ad

If he takes the money and runs I'm sure he will regret in the long run. He is a a god at Geelong... and wiith 3rd party payments and the like he will still be earning well over 1 Million a season one would think. I just hope he makes the right decision for himself. I hope like hell he stays but I won't have any ill feeling towards him if he packs his bags and goes.. He has given so much to the club. Good luck Gaz!

If Gaz does leave, GC17 should be made to buy the player in cash and draft picks. The Cats should get the first round pick and another pick inside the 16 and a late 2nd rounder.

They arent attacting any other stars so they might as well throw the house at gazza.

Mind you he will earn it because oppositions would have no-oneelse to target.

Hed better get a guaranteed 5 years because he may be shot after 3 of that kind of punishment.

PS thanks for delaying for so long Gazza, im sure the uncertainty helped other clubs persuade thier stars to stay put.

All the best !

PS the coasters probably need to give him 2mill to reach the 92.5 of their salary cap

It's an interesting proposition for him:
- Take the big bucks and effectively flush his career down the toilet. Never play in a final again.
- Stay at Geelong on 500k less and potentially become one of the greatest of all time.

At any rate, this is not a done deal. If it was the GC would not be coming up with new offers.

Somebody with half a brain in the Gold Coast administration may wake up to the fact that what they are purportedly offering a 27 year old (turns 27 May 2011) whose performance is significantly enhanced by playing as part of a champion team, could go a long long way in the development of many more new players.

However, moronic greed may still get the better of them. For football's sake I hope it doesn't get the better of Ablett Jr.

I wonder what this bit means in the article??

"Gold Coast sources describe talk of any offer of more than $1.5 million a year as "ludicrous".

Ralphy writing another story while sitting in a gutter somewhere :rolleyes:

I dont think he will go, mainly because he is an idiot and probably thinks Geelong will love him forever because of "club loyalty."

I dont want him to go though. No matter how much I hate Geelong, I hate how much the AFL is supplying GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree with what others have said, what does he have left to achieve in geelong?
2 flags , 3? MVP awards, Brownlow

with the possibility of another flag and brownlow this year

i think he takes the money and goes, help a new team from ground up work towards another flag...

Legendary status? I nice investment portfolio courtesty of mr. Costa?
Not getting the title of judas backstabber jnr.?

Living I. Geelong where he is revered, people make out that he is shy, but he seems like a bit of a lad from what I know of him, on the gold coast he is just another punter, in Geelong he is royalty....

Money or Glory. That's all he's deciding between.

Geelong's midfield unit is still quite young, they will be a good team for the next few years. They just need to replace a few players once they retire but they have some great talent on their list and can easily unearth a few mature rookie gems to fill the gap.

I find this to be pretty ordinary.

Geelong have absolutely no way of coming anywhere close to this offer, it's a joke that the AFL has given the GC such massive lee-way to raid Clubs like this.

Sure they could. But they wouldn't want to.

Part of the reason GC will have such funds is due to a huge amount of the squad on minimum wage.

Geelong could get rid of a few stars and play players on minimum wage if they wanted - no team would though.

. . .it's a joke that the AFL has given the GC such massive lee-way to raid Clubs like this.

It's not the first time they have done such a thing but at least this time the club being raided is being raided due to cap pressure.

Nobody seemed to complain when it was weaker clubs being raided.

i agree with what others have said, what does he have left to achieve in geelong?
2 flags , 3? MVP awards, Brownlow

with the possibility of another flag and brownlow this year

i think he takes the money and goes, help a new team from ground up work towards another flag...

From a individual point of view, perhaps not a whole heap as he has won most awards. But if the team is as strong a group of friends as it appears to be, then I'm sure they will want to achieve continued sucess together and will adjust their aims accordingly. They have broken the premiership drought and have won two premierships. They now have the incentive of wanting to go back-to-back and to play in 4 consecutive grandfinals to match the Brissy LIons; if they go back to back this year, they can then readjust the bar further again by aiming for a 3-peat etc and the list goes on.

I understand the rationale behind thinking "he's won a couple of GF';s already, would a couple more honestly justify the difference in money?" My belief is that the players play to win GF's (obviously) and i really doubt that ever changes throughout a career. I'm sure the group as a whole are excited with the young talent coming through to replace a few of the blokes that are nearing retirement, and sometimes that injection of youth can bring the motivation needed to keep the spark alive in the blokes that have previously won awards/premierships and so forth.

The cats are on the brink of a dynasty, I'm sure he'd love to continue to be a part of it with his mates at Geelong so they all share the same history when looking back on it in the future.

Well, if it were me, at the end of my career i'd want to count all the awards, premierships and various medals i'd won throughout my career. Not all the notes. The money is nice, but i'd take the glory of winning a premiership any day of the week. He won't even come close to winning a Premiership at the GC if he goes.

But on the other hand, if he goes, it would be nice to reflect on being able to have helped get the GC up and running. Give it a name and put the franchise on the map in the GC. No doubt they'd market the hell out of him up there. So, it would be a good move in that sense. I'd like to see the GC do well.

But i still say, develope their own talent maybe few years down the track they'll have a star of their own to market the brand with. But with Ablett, he's already an established star which would fast track all that.

Going to be tough whatever he decides.

Personally, i'd probably stay, but i could understand if he was tempted with 2mil flashed in front of him. That's some serious dollars for an AFL player.

ablett is abandoning ship at the end of the season, along with the coach and the majority of the older players (guys like chapman, milburn etc will all retire)...

big deal... all good things come to an end... if he's going to languish in a mediocre team, he may as well get paid 2m a year to do it...

If he does go i wonder what it will gost the GC. I know that he can leave for free but i reckon he will demand that Geelong get a decent pick or two in exchange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Up Ablett Ante

Remove this Banner Ad

Back