Expansion Gold Coast/Western Sydney ARE YOU SURE????

Remove this Banner Ad

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tasmania they love Australian Rules, unlike majority of people in Rugby towns. Melbourne city doesn't get as much air time as West Sydney do in the news "It seems". Every day, in Western Sydney someone is shot, robbed, bashed or r*ped. Nice place to visit, but to tell you the truth I wouldn't want to stay too long. I have been there, can't say I was too impressed. If Western Sydney come in, Collingwood will no longer be seen as the supporter most likely to be unemployed, and into crime, with no teeth, as I have been stereo typed for years. So o.k I will have overtaker of my mantle. I can live with that.

Google Western Sydney and Crime and you will get what I mean, it is everywhere. Its not like I'm making it up. 6 months ago, I started taking notice, and Western Sydney is far closer to an American type crime rate, it's not funny.

Sure, there is great areas in these areas, but the best we can hope for from these people, is a mediocre following of the foreign game. Look how long it took Sydney to take off!! Two sides in Western Australia and South Australia is warranted, but I very much doubt these new sides are going to have much success, especially early. Flimsy rugby supporter base, are not about to stick through thick and thin, until this side develops into a powerhouse, as Bribane were, and Sydney were, when they shared in flags. Brisbane and Sydney also had help from returning disgruntled Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters.

Gold Coast and Western Sydney have nothing, no history, no appeal, unless te AFL tips in a major way, seeing heaps of trades from these sides, and they miraculously all gel together, the inception will be about what Fremantle and Port Adelaide had when they come in. This means people trying to see the light, in AFL, will be inpatient.

Sure there is exception, like anyone who argues these facts, they are the type of person who would fit the mould, for a patient AFL fan, waiting for this side to take an interesting hold within the AFL, but you haven't got alot of people in that area, or areas that will do the same.

I feel the prospect of having an AFL team in Tasmania would be ten times more beneficial for the league. Reason being, Tassie is a major event away from being an interesting place. It has beautiful scenery, and if it was pumped full of money, they could make that place a beautiful holiday resort island, and change the stereo type of Tasmania forever.

There is nothing wrong with Tasmanians, and they all love footy. Only thing is, they can all get in on a family ticket, which is what I think AFL are worried about lol. AFL will go Western Sydney and Goldcoast by the looks, but I can't see the logic, given the poulation in these areas love rugby, and alot of rugby fan I talk to, would pass an interest in AFL, but convert...NEVER.

Look nothing personal, just not a place I would love to be bringing my kids up, but hey, you, continue, knock yourself out, I'm happy 30 minutes from the G.

I don't get your argument.

The AFL is riddled with criminals. Western Sydney will fit right in. ;)

If you ask me, the biggest criminals are sitting in AFL house. They are the ones selling out our game for their own personal gains.

The OP was exactly what I thought. Perhaps not in that detail but yeah you have the right idea. AFL probably comes after both forms of rugby and maybe a few other sports there.

Expansion is about broadening support for the game, why is that so hard to understand.

Tasmania should have a team but everyone in Tasmania already follows AFL how is that going to increase the tv coverage which basically pays for the game as we know it.

Tasmania will get a team eventuially but the time isn't right, remember the total population of Tassie is only about 500k, hobart 200k and Launceston 100k, West Sydney about 1.8 million, Gold Coast is about 500k and is the fastest growing area in Australia projected to be over a million by 2030.

I dont think there will be a team in Tassie unless a Melbourne team falls over unfortunatly

Expansion is about broadening support for the game, why is that so hard to understand.

Tasmania should have a team but everyone in Tasmania already follows AFL how is that going to increase the tv coverage which basically pays for the game as we know it.

Tasmania will get a team eventuially but the time isn't right, remember the total population of Tassie is only about 500k, hobart 200k and Launceston 100k, West Sydney about 1.8 million, Gold Coast is about 500k and is the fastest growing area in Australia projected to be over a million by 2030.

I dont think there will be a team in Tassie unless a Melbourne team falls over unfortunatly

What about Auckland

No AFL team

already 1.2 million people

2 million inhabitants by 2050

country of 4 million which will be 7 million by 2050

good grassroots participation

growing media exposure

AFL crowds bigger than the GOld Coast

rugby league growing rapidly after team entered in the NRL

a great desire to beat Australia at everything

Kiwi players already in AFL ranks

[youtube]DOkuujvKf5s[/youtube]
[youtube]qjPw3ReegT0[/youtube]

plenty of potential IMO

how good would it be to see the haka before AFL matches

[youtube]j1DiU9Ziqzk[/youtube]

[youtube]NnVQ6O0GzYY[/youtube]

PRECISELY!

Where's the proposal for a team in New Zealand? By all reports their team at the World Cup was only slightly below the level of some VFL clubs. With proper investment and effort, they could become quite an opportunity for the AFL, and are right next door. Instead of investing in places like South Africa and Ireland, why not consider New Zealand? Big population, would be a great rivaly, and it could mean a better potential International Rules, with an actual Australia vs New Zealand AFL match!

tassie should be ahead of west sydney imo
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Tasmania they love Australian Rules......
I won't repeat the viabilty argument, which is valid. But it will get done a dozen times before this thread sputters to a close.
The AFL knows it has to get its foot in the door of the large but hostile sporting markets in NE Australia. The AFL is are one failed media deal away from being irrelevant as a sport.
Tasmania is more than adequately served by present arrangements.

........Only thing is, they can all get in on a family ticket.....
God help me, I found that quite funny.

Where's the proposal for a team in New Zealand? By all reports their team at the World Cup was only slightly below the level of some VFL clubs.

Um. Which VFL clubs would they be ?

Lets not get too carried away with the reports of their standards.

I saw them play and they have some good players, but still a lot of work to be done.

They have a handful of players that could be considered good in country and metro amateur leagues.

But lets face it, if they were that good, they'd have players running around in the VFL and SANFL. And if they were as good as some clubs, they'd be able to field a team in the VFL. Quite clearly this is still years away.

But it is of little relevance to an AFL team.

When the Brisbane Bears started up they didn't have a single player from Queensland. They still pulled decent crowds while they were winning. Now half their squad is from QLD. While I don't think a QLD team is a magic carpet ride, if you're in for the long haul, you're in for the long haul. And NZ represents a much better option to me than the Gold Coast.

The only advantage GC and WS have is cross-town rivalry. But that only really exists when the sport you're playing is actually popular. A rivalry with NZ would be much bigger, much more interesting and believe me - the heathens would take instant notice if it did alright.

When the Brisbane Bears started up they didn't have a single player from Queensland. They still pulled decent crowds while they were winning. Now half their squad is from QLD.

On the Senior List 9 out of 40.....slightly less than a quarter,which is very good compared to 1988 and shows how beneficial the formation of the Brisbane Club and the subsequent media coverage of VFL/AFL has been for the game in Queensland especially when the Queensland players in other clubs are taken into account - the only two I can remember in 1988 were Jason Dunstall and Scott McIvor.

There are many traditional rugby schools fielding Aussie Rules teams all over SE Queensland and other population centres throughout the State - unheard of 20 years ago.

Initially the Gold Coast team is better placed than Western Sydney - they are already producing AFL players and it has the solid backing of the Gold Coast City Council,a giant of Local Government that has responsibility for the whole of the Gold Coast city of about half a million as has been stated.........but if there is going to be another team in Sydney it needs to start soon and battle through the tough early times with a view to the long term benefit of the game there and throughout the country.

I am a supporter of a Tassie club in the AFL and if it ever becomes viable why not a team from New Zealand........look what has happened with the Melbourne Storm - a Kiwi Aussie Rules club is a much tougher ask but never say never.

There are many traditional rugby schools fielding Aussie Rules teams all over SE Queensland and other population centres throughout the State - unheard of 20 years ago.

You are correct & among those is the Gold Coast's very own TSS

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/12/19/32995_gold-coast-sport.html

THE AFL's plan to win over the hearts and minds of Gold Coasters has intensified, with the city's leading private school set to install goal posts on its junior school campus.

The Southport School, a staunch union stronghold for more than 100 years, will break from its long-standing allegiance with the `game they play in heaven' when Aussie rules posts go up on its ovals for the first time next year.

You are correct & among those is the Gold Coast's very own TSS

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/12/19/32995_gold-coast-sport.html

THE AFL's plan to win over the hearts and minds of Gold Coasters has intensified, with the city's leading private school set to install goal posts on its junior school campus.

The Southport School, a staunch union stronghold for more than 100 years, will break from its long-standing allegiance with the `game they play in heaven' when Aussie rules posts go up on its ovals for the first time next year.

I guess AFL is gaining traction is these Rubgy dominated areas. Who would have thunk it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As nice as it would be to have a Tasmanian team in the AFL, in the current (and more than likely future) economic climate it would NOT last IMHO.
God forbid if the place ends up like it did in the 1990's, that was utterly miserable.
And there are signs about which is starting to show eerie similarities to that era all over again.

Having said that, I wouldn't be bringing WS into it just yet either.

Its simple really, Gold coast and tassie in this installment, Sydney and NZ in the next (maybe 10 years after)

10 vic clubs, 10 from elsewhere.

Melbourne will grow by almost 2 adelaides in 30 years so time to move some inner melbourne teams to outer suburbs.

Doggies in the west, Hawks and Melbourne out east, Saints in the south, North should go north - its a massive waste of money on arden st they should be securing a base near the northeren growth corridor.

The other 4 have more established traditional bases closer to the centre and should stay there.

I guess AFL is gaining traction is these Rubgy dominated areas. Who would have thunk it?

IMO the idea of AFL being properly established in Queensland and NSW is long overdue.. Footy has been played in Brisbane and Sydney on an organised basis for over 100 years....albeit on a minor basis. NZ is similar....Whether AFL becomes the dominant code in these areas is not the point. AFL just needs a proper presence.....rather than one isolated club.

In Sydney for example the main game is Swans versus NRL. In Brisbane its Lions v. Broncos v. Wallabys. The talking point in Sydney needs to be Sydney compared to Western Sydney....which one is having the better season etc etc . Likewise Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast should be the main topic in AFL in Queensland.....not which football code is better.

Unless a Victorian club folds the best option for Tasmania IMO is another Victorian club playing 4 or 5 games out of Hobart (as Hawthorn does in Launceston). This allows almost as many AFL games in Tassie as if they had their own team, sets up a Launceston/Hobart rivalry and allows more Tasmanians the opportunity to see the AFL team they currently support.

Its simple really, Gold coast and tassie in this installment, Sydney and NZ in the next (maybe 10 years after)

10 vic clubs, 10 from elsewhere.

Melbourne will grow by almost 2 adelaides in 30 years so time to move some inner melbourne teams to outer suburbs.

Doggies in the west, Hawks and Melbourne out east, Saints in the south,
North should go north - its a massive waste of money on arden st they should be securing a base near the northeren growth corridor.

The other 4 have more established traditional bases closer to the centre and should stay there.

What you mean like Hawthorn in Waverley, St Kilda in Frankston/Bayside and Melbourne out at Casey?

well said.

Only problem with a NZ-Aussie rivalry in Aussie rules would be that quickly it'd diminish, like it has in the A-League and NRL. Still, a yearly Australia vs NZ match could be on the cards IF NZ entered and IF it started producing talented players, say in the next 25-30 years. Long way off though. Would be a great step forward for the game though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Gold Coast/Western Sydney ARE YOU SURE????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back