Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite everything the Gold Coast crowd seems reasonably healthy. I think that is fine and will only get better as they improve. The performance is a massive issue though. And it looks likely Lynch will leave which will set them back further.

In the long run though they will be okay
We talking 50 Years?

GC got a good 17K to the Cats game as it was the first home game of the year (I came down from Brissy for it) but after last 2 efforts and low draw of the Suns they'll be lucky to get 10K IMO.

Yeah actually in Sydney the Swans were exactly that. No attempt by the South Melbourne administration to connect or sink roots into Sydney at all. You can certainly have an opinionn, but you're open to rebuttal as well. The comparison with the Swans is relevant.
Thats true. I spoke with Tony Malikelis once. He played for sydney in the early days and he said they barely had enough footys to go around.

Edit: Sorry i didnt mean to quote you. I cant remember who it was originally either.

A high percentage of young players at all clubs don't pan out, but it's kind of shocking to think how many young talents the Suns have burned through in their short existence.

Really shows how important injury management and club culture are to list management and maintenance.

If the Suns were a bust I've always thought just relaunch as Northern Suns, still based on Gold Coast and play 7/8 games there for practicality/to not admit defeat, and then play 3/4 games in the NT/Northern Australia every year with special access to Indigenous talent or something.

If they're going to struggle at least they've got a decent purpose is kind of the idea/we can avoid taking a team permanently away from 10-15K core supporters.

But they're still a bit away from this kind of talk for it to be serious...but all the same no talk at all is better.

We averaged higher in 2017 - 13,456 at Spotless vs 14,017 at Metricon
Yeah you’re right, I meant 2016 but every other year Gold Coast has been higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Suns were a bust I've always thought just relaunch as Northern Suns, still based on Gold Coast and play 7/8 games there for practicality/to not admit defeat, and then play 3/4 games in the NT/Northern Australia every year with special access to Indigenous talent or something.

If they're going to struggle at least they've got a decent purpose is kind of the idea/we can avoid taking a team permanently away from 10-15K core supporters.

But they're still a bit away from this kind of talk for it to be serious...but all the same no talk at all is better.
I like the idea but it almost screams feeder club unfortunately

Are we performing as badly as the suns on and off field ?

No

So that answers your question , and we have history on our side so we actually belong in the AFL unlike you two plastic franchises which were created solely for money.
So because of the club I support, I'm not worthy of an opinion in this discussion?

With games at Metricon, how many are likely to be opposition supporters? Always seem to be a good contingent of away supporters, and why wouldn't there be, it's an excuse to have a quick holiday on the Gold Coast.
I think that affects Tassie crowds as well, somewhat.

Are we performing as badly as the suns on and off field ?

No

So that answers your question , and we have history on our side so we actually belong in the AFL unlike you two plastic franchises which were created solely for money.

Has any club in any sport folded or relocated because of on-field results?

How would you feel if it was your club on the chopping block?
Been there, done that.

Dees have history though; Gold Coast are an AFL franchise.

No disrespect but it was a shit idea to begin with.

Thats true. I spoke with Tony Malikelis once. He played for sydney in the early days and he said they barely had enough footys to go around.

Edit: Sorry i didnt mean to quote you. I cant remember who it was originally either.
All good.
I get they lacked resources. Still it was open to them to attract sponsorship in a huge new market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back