Expansion Gold Coasts Jumper. Just as I expected. Sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too much bagging of the Hawks jumper I like the contrast to other teams. The White number backing looks good. I didn't like it when they went for an all gold back and when they had all gold socks that was a terrible era visually.

agree, the gold socks were awful.

not as bad as the disgraceful jumper they wore one preseason.

the best jumper in world sport (pains me to say it) is probably the All Blacks.

Simple is best

Just like the best jumper in the AFL ie Carltons

Hehehehe. One of my biggest annoyances with the AFL is the plastic-ness and the "franchise-ness" of the clubs, and this pretty much confirms my thoughts. Plastic and corporate to the core.

Hate to bring another code into this, but let's take a look at the most popular sports shirts in terms of sales and being worn casually:

arsenal20062008eyi3.gif
chelsea20062008chd6.gif
liverpool20062008abi0.gif
manchesterunited2007200uz5.gif

Gold Coast really are doing themselves a disservice.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to appeal to the widest demographic possible. The "franchise" mentality has always been there it's just more explicitly stated now.

I wouldn't have a problem with the new teams picking a modern, "sexy" style jumper if that is what the majority of new supporters want. I don't think it would be to my taste as I prefer the traditional jumpers but I will keep an open mind on the subject. I'm more than willing to embrace a great new modern design if it is unveiled.

Haven't seen it yet though.

One of my early thoughts about the new franchises was "I bet they have a crap jumper, and will refuse to go with anything normal"
I use the word normal instead of traditional, because i am not a traditionalist, but for the life of me I have never seen a non traditional jumper at any level of footy that looks any good.

The Age reports today.

The traditional jumper with stripes or a V-yoke might appeal to purists and romantics, but it does not appeal to the new Gold Coast consortium.

When the new team enters the AFL in 2011 it will do so in a modern "sexy" jumper, not an old fashioned one depending on your perspective, according to GC17 director Graham Downie.

"I dont think we will come up with a yoke or stripes, thats the old days. What we come up with will have a sexy feel about it without being ridiculous. Something more in keeping with the times. Collingwoods jumper is fantastic but thats from 100 years ago"

I'm really interested in the thoughts of all fans but particularly the younger ones as I assume that is who they are trying to 'sell' to.
Do you like stripes, hoops, sashes, yokes and V's ?
Or do you prefer multiple colors and slashes and swipes and claw marks etc???

I'm 40 and by no means conservative, but i have never liked Ports various designs, nor some of The Eagles, nor many of our clash jumpers.
I was early 20's when the Crows came about and I immediately liked their jumper because it was plain and simple and I believe that an athletic footballer will always look better in something plain and simple.

oh well, atleast we will have a good laugh :D

golden rules for footy jumpers:
1. kiss - keep it simple stupid.
2. only two colors (gold being on for the new team).
3. those colors be bold.

suggestions
1. home jumper - majority gold with dark puple (la lakers style), majority gold with navy blue, gold with black, gold with grey/silver

2. away jumper - reverse the home jumper

I reads to me like GC17 is displaying common sense. I'd delighted to read that they are not keen on blue/yellow. I've always maintained that they need to stand out and I sincerely hope they use an innovative new colour like orange.

Whilst a lot of traditional footy fans seem to like the more traditional guernseys, I don't think yokes/vees/stripes/hoops are particularly fashionable attire these days and I don't blame GC17 for rejecting them. The Gold Coast team won't be a traditional club side anyway, it'll be another corporate franchise club.

golden rules for footy jumpers:
1. kiss - keep it simple stupid.
2. only two colors (gold being on for the new team).
3. those colors be bold.

Yep, agreed. You don't need to vomit on a jumper to appeal to people. If you want to be taken seriously as a professional sporting team, you better at least look like professionals.

The ones I like the most are Brisbane and Fremantle - at least it's bloody different.

I'd love the Gold Coast team to have their mascot on their jumper.

Freo's is an out and out shocker. The traditional jumpers are the best.

if you ask me the team should try having a traditional home strip and a modern away strip like adelaide do. that way they're appealing to more people.

agree, the gold socks were awful.

not as bad as the disgraceful jumper they wore one preseason.

the best jumper in world sport (pains me to say it) is probably the All Blacks.

Simple is best

Just like the best jumper in the AFL ie Carltons

Agree with you here about the All Blacks. Perhaps also the Dutch football team - it is so distinctive, and I love it.

Maybe GC17 could go with orange. If done right (big question) it would look great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can think of alot of words to describe a good football jumper. "Sexy" wouldn't be one.

The balance between traditional and modern is a fine line.

You'd like to think GC17 would be able to find that balance, with a jumper that is simple(two colours preferable), whilst being different somewhat to the norm.

Easier said than done. Looking at an earlier post, the Dutch soccer team is a great example of making orange work. Not convinced it would work in the AFL but looks great on the soccer pitch, especially with the fans.

Whatever jumper they pick, there will undoubtedly be people who think it is shocking. I just hope they stick with something relatively simple, regardless of what colours.

Whatever jumper they pick, there will undoubtedly be people who think it is shocking. I just hope they stick with something relatively simple, regardless of what colours.

some marketing mob will have to justify an exorbitant fee and thus wont want to do simple.

its like those absurd socks the wallabies wear, everyone knows they look ridiculous but the designers love it (ditto the old wallabies jumper with the heap of white on the front).

I don't mind this style if they're not going for a "traditional" jumper. No bloody gradients at least:

goldcoast2mn3.gif

That's a great design, but really with the AFL on their half-arsed high horse on clash jumpers, it will clash with Carlton, Melbourne and possibly Adelaide (Traditional jumper).

Whatever they choose, it needs to be completely different to any existing jumpers.

That's a great design, but really with the AFL on their half-arsed high horse on clash jumpers, it will clash with Carlton, Melbourne and possibly Adelaide (Traditional jumper).

Whatever they choose, it needs to be completely different to any existing jumpers.
That's pretty much what I said.

I'd like to see this design with a chocolate background, orange and lime green. I reckon that would look good. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Gold Coasts Jumper. Just as I expected. Sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back