Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Got some money for my birthday yesterday. Eyeing off a 1/2 iron. Do many of you have one and use it often?
RU_, R U Crazy?

As cool as a 1 iron might be(think Jack Nicklaus at Baltusrol), the question is what problem are you trying to solve? Have you identified a gap in your bag that a 1, or let's be real, a 2 iron might fill? There aren't many players who use a 2 iron these days... But they are cool.

My 20 year old Titleist DCI 962(19.5 degrees) is still around. And it's like brand new!

RU_, R U Crazy?

As cool as a 1 iron might be(think Jack Nicklaus at Baltusrol), the question is what problem are you trying to solve? Have you identified a gap in your bag that a 1, or let's be real, a 2 iron might fill? There aren't many players who use a 2 iron these days... But they are cool.

My 20 year old Titleist DCI 962(19.5 degrees) is still around. And it's like brand new!
I tend to hit my irons straighter than my driver, just looking for that safer option off the tee box where I can still make similar distance.

And also to pull out a 1 iron for the cool factor.

The second point might be the primary one.

I tend to hit my irons straighter than my driver, just looking for that safer option off the tee box where I can still make similar distance.

Have a look at driving irons, I've got a 21 degree loft one that's pretty good off the tee.

I hear you on the cool factor. I recently had a club fitting. Longest iron I now have is a 5. Very uncool.

RU_, R U Crazy?

I live by my 2iron

It's my absolute go to on par 4s less than 330m where accuracy off the tee is key

I use it more than my 3wood tbh

Have you spent time on a monitor to work out your gapping/dispersion?
Yes - but I take those with a grain of salt so too speak

3 wood is 230m on average

2 iron 217m on average

4 iron 203m on average

5 iron 190m on average

The gapping works in "theory" , but my stupidity allows for many variables

My 2iron off the tee is my most reliable ball.
Laura Davies style - no tee required, little draw and watch it run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - but I take those with a grain of salt so too speak

3 wood is 230m on average

2 iron 217m on average

4 iron 203m on average

5 iron 190m on average

The gapping works in "theory" , but my stupidity allows for many variables

My 2iron off the tee is my most reliable ball.
Laura Davies style - no tee required, little draw and watch it run
Goodness me - another player longer than tour average.

I have a cheap 1 iron ($2 at a salvos) and creating a divet at the tee box with it to sit the ball up and then hitting it flush is so nice.

The drama is the face is about the size of the golf ball as it’s gotta be 40 years old 😂. Don’t hit it well very often.

I’ve got a 2 iron and I love it. I replaced my hybrid with a 2 iron as just didn’t like the hybrid. Off the tee or off the fairway I use it all the time. I went to GolfBox and told them I wanted an iron I could hit 200m - 2 iron it was.

I have a cheap 1 iron ($2 at a salvos) and creating a divet at the tee box with it to sit the ball up and then hitting it flush is so nice.

The drama is the face is about the size of the golf ball as it’s gotta be 40 years old . Don’t hit it well very often.

That’s a butter knife. Spend the birthday money on a new grip and you will be the coolest!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've got a Ping G430 5i coming that is closer in loft to my G425 4i. Which means the 4i will be out of the bag and I'm thinking 7 wood. What are you people's thoughts? Of course I could also get a G430 4i as a (cheaper) alternative. I generally hit my irons better than woods/hybrids.

I've got a Ping G430 5i coming that is closer in loft to my G425 4i. Which means the 4i will be out of the bag and I'm thinking 7 wood. What are you people's thoughts? Of course I could also get a G430 4i as a (cheaper) alternative. I generally hit my irons better than woods/hybrids.

have dabbled with the 7 wood. Its nice. Big head and loft. For me its a mental thing, big head ergo distance over loft caue i hit liek shit. But when hit properly it has the mix of loft and distance.

5i longest iron in my bag. Play a 3 and 4 hybrid.

3 hybrid is about 180 (total not carry)

then play a 5 wood and a 3 wood. Use the 5 wood off the tee a lot

Got some money for my birthday yesterday. Eyeing off a 1/2 iron. Do many of you have one and use it often?
Love my 2i. It's my 200m club. But probably most importantly it's my get out of the rough club. Played off of the back foot I can easily hit about 150m with the ball going not much over head height. And being an iron, I'm not really worried about hitting things in the rough. For short dog leg par 4s it's a great club to shape the ball left or right off the tee.
Lastly there's not a club in the bag that feels as good when hit out of the middle. One of my favourite things in golf is smashing my 2i. And to your other post, everyone loves to see it hit. I've tried a lot of hybrids, driving irons to replace it, but nothing has been better. A lot have been good, but not better.

My longest is 6 iron. Although I have not had a club fitting for 10+ years.
My longest is now a 7 iron. Took the bag out for a quick 9 to try the hybrids out the other day. Didn't really know what to do on tricky lies with them. I guess that will take a bit of time to get used after 45 years of using irons. Pared the last 6 holes after a horrendous start so that was positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back