Good luck...

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 22, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You know, I'd rather be playing any other team than the Lions this week. That's not because I'm scared of playing you. I have no reason to be scared, we've beaten you twice and I see no reason why we can't do it again. It'll simply come down to who's better on the night. I don't want to play you in the preliminary, because I'd love to play you in the Grand Final instead.

As a Swans fan, I have a lot of respect and empathy with the Lions. You guys have gone through the same thing we have, trying to establish in what is effectively a market foreign to football. You guys have done it better than us so far, because you have two flags to show for it. We're doing our best to catch up.

The parallels don't end there. The two clubs have together been the targets of Victoria's pathetic little campaign to gain an advantage over us by removing the equalisation measures with the salary cap and zone picks. They've mostly succeeded. It seems that when you can't beat a team with things being equal, you need to make them unfair, but they still haven't been able to stop at least one of us making the big one.

Our longer term history is also so similar. I'm a Melbourne-based Swans fan who has never lived in NSW. While I'm too young to be a South Melbourne fan in the true sense of the word, I love and respect the history of my club going all the way back to 1874, regardless of how it stacks up to Carlton or Collingwood in terms of premierships. The Swans, and the Lions, know what it means to fight.

The Bloods fought and fought and never gave up. We've been dead half a dozen times and gotten up out of the grave half a dozen times. Fitzroy went through the same thing, and in the end lasted a little longer than South did. Our old Victorian clubs may not be the exact same as they were, but they live on in Sydney and Brisbane respectively.

The Swans and Lions are going to be rivals on Saturday night. We'll be playing off for a Grand Final spot. We can't afford to be friends, and from here on in it's all business. But with less than a week to go until the biggest match my club has been in for 60 years, I just want to say good luck, and may the best team win.

Cheers.

Originally posted by CharlieG
I don't want to play you in the preliminary, because I'd love to play you in the Grand Final instead.
The Swans and Lions are going to be rivals on Saturday night. We'll be playing off for a Grand Final spot. We can't afford to be friends, and from here on in it's all business. But with less than a week to go until the biggest match my club has been in for 60 years, I just want to say good luck, and may the best team win.

Cheers.

CharlieG- couldn't have said it better myself

Wish it could be a Swans v Lions GF. Instead one of us will be playing one of the most despised teams in the comp- Collingwood or Port.

So, if we don't make it through this weekend YOU'D BETTER BEAT THEM!

Good luck for Saturday ;)
I'll be there to *hopefully* see us into our 3rd successive GF showdown.

Originally posted by CharlieG
But with less than a week to go until the biggest match my club has been in for 60 years

Surely the grand final was??

Anyway, you'd think there'd be a big rivallry between the NSW and QLD teams but the exact opposite is probably true.

Re: Re: Good luck...

Originally posted by CarterS
Surely the grand final was??

Anyway, you'd think there'd be a big rivallry between the NSW and QLD teams but the exact opposite is probably true.

At the time, certainly the '96 GF. But with hindsight (the mere fact we lost) and the fact that we are playing in front of 70,000 of our own fans... this takes the cake. If we win on the weekend, it'll be the greatest moment in our Sydney-based history.

Thanx for your kind words CharlieG

I like all brissy fans - hoping we win but will go for Sydney in the GF if we dont

it will be a close one IMHO but im hoping we win

GO BRIZZIE!

I'd really hoped it'd be a Sydney v Brisbane GF also, but wasn't to be I suppose. And if my Lions happen to lose this weekend (AND I HOPE WE DONT :p) then I will be going for the Swans in the Grand Final.

Should be an absolutely classic match. :D

Ta, CharlieG.

Should be a fantastic game between the two Northern teams.
Sydney have really improved this year and i think they've earnt everybody's respect now that they've got this far. I even tipped them to finished 16th, shame, shame, shame. :eek:

Either way i'll be going for the team that wins outta this game for the Grand Final.

Carn the Lions! :)

Charlie, this thread could be the beginnings of a disgusting precedent. Two fierce rivals who don't hate each other.

Never saw the point of the manufactured hatred myself. You only have to read these boards to see how desperate some fans are to think of something nasty to say about the opposition, no matter what.

My experience of South people was that they were very like Fitzroy people. Couldn't afford to be arrogant, because they, like us, had done nothing about which to be so (sorry about the tortured syntax - it's not me, it's the English language). Never met more passionate supporters than South's though.

Seems you've inculcated this culture into Sydney as well. It augers well for the future of the game in our most populous city. Mind you, to some posters, that may be read as, "it all goes well", but they're Collingwood supporters.

Looking forward to a great contest. Seems you've at last got a decent coach. Won't mention where he came from. If you guys win, you should be in no doubt about for whom we'll be barracking in the GF, no matter whom it's against.

Or should that be, "against whom it is"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wierd, isn't it?

There's probably not one Lions supporter who would wish the Swannies ill if they happen to beat us.

In fact, I'll say right now....if they beat us, I hope they go all the way and take out the Flag.

Strange that after all the years of RL hype surrounding SOO, we are actually wishing each other well.

Probably just goes to show that supporters of the AFL in the "northern" states really just want to see the greatest game in the world given the recognition it deserves.

And what better way than seeing one of the dreaded "northerners" walking away with another Cup?

Originally posted by luthor
Wierd, isn't it?

There's probably not one Lions supporter who would wish the Swannies ill if they happen to beat us.

In fact, I'll say right now....if they beat us, I hope they go all the way and take out the Flag.

Strange that after all the years of RL hype surrounding SOO, we are actually wishing each other well.

Probably just goes to show that supporters of the AFL in the "northern" states really just want to see the greatest game in the world given the recognition it deserves.

And what better way than seeing one of the dreaded "northerners" walking away with another Cup?

Move along. Move along.

No argument with anything here.

Just shows how artificial the 'hatred' between Qld and NSW in RL really is. They've missed the point.

The best ball game in the world - our's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back