Goodbye Rocca... Hello Hall?? Robertson??

Remove this Banner Ad

swoops

Rookie
Apr 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
With Anthony Rocca retiring and us being a real premiership contender for the next 2 years (and on) do you think an experienced forward such Barry Hall or Russell Robertson would be worth having a crack at...

We would be able to continue to develop our younger players but we need a premiership and we have a good chance soon in my opinion so why not have a crack at getting a full forward that will take us to one??

As tempting as it seems, I'd prefer to include Daws or Rus in. I want to be a premiership contender for three or four years (like the lions and cats) than just for one. I also want to see our kids take us to glory and not some reject from another club. Call me greedy.

Robertson is not even a playing fit for us. His a small / medium marking target in the mould of Medhurst, Macaffer and not too disimilar to Anthony.

Hall is a decent fit but his footy has almost been as inconsistant as his mental stability in recent years and as such I wouldn't be too keen on chasing him.

Hall - No. IMO he would be as useful on our list as Ant was this year.

Robertson - No. He is not a big bodied FF like we appear to need.

With Anthony Rocca retiring and us being a real premiership contender for the next 2 years (and on) do you think an experienced forward such Barry Hall or Russell Robertson would be worth having a crack at...

We would be able to continue to develop our younger players but we need a premiership and we have a good chance soon in my opinion so why not have a crack at getting a full forward that will take us to one??
:eek:

love to see Hall at the pies.
clearly we are lacking a big goal kicking forward.
either we do nothing in trade week and put faith in Dawes to be CHF & Perhaps cloke or Anthony FF and give Reid a fair crack at CHB and get Nathan Brown Fit and firing to be the swing man.
or we trade some of the above names and get some freah meat perhaps - Hall, Brad Miller, Robertson, Fisher, roughhead, burgoyne, staker, etc etc

No. Develop Dawes, Rusling and Macaffer. They are our future, not 30 year olds. Don't draft has beens.
but having Hall/Robertson would free up Anthony (who no longer need to contend with the best defender every match)...

i dont think JA is ready to beat the Scarlett/Lake of the competition yet... can we afford zero output out of JA in those games? if the answer is no, then Hall may be an answer

I'd love Robbo to play for us.... he'd give lots of experience to our young players like Pev. And just like Pev, Robbo is best suited for the 2's and not the seniors.

Hall? .... don't think it will suit us and as MM said, if Hall couldn't get straighten out in a side like the Swans then why would he be alright at Collingwood? We've had a rough trot with our players going AWOL off field, I dunno if bringing someone in that's had troubles on field would be the right direction.

He's got 2 years at max if he plays. Hope he goes well at the Dogs or wherever .... just not at Pieland thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love Robbo to play for us.... he'd give lots of experience to our young players like Pev. And just like Pev, Robbo is best suited for the 2's and not the seniors.

Hall? .... don't think it will suit us and as MM said, if Hall couldn't get straighten out in a side like the Swans then why would he be alright at Collingwood? We've had a rough trot with our players going AWOL off field, I dunno if bringing someone in that's had troubles on field would be the right direction.

He's got 2 years at max if he plays. Hope he goes well at the Dogs or wherever .... just not at Pieland thanks.

Well we do need to replace Peverill now, especially seeing as he though it was more important to attend a friends wedding then play in a VFL Preliminary Final for a team he was supposed to be captain for.

So, the VFL change is;

In: Russell Robertson

Out: Damien Peverill

As tempting as it seems, I'd prefer to include Daws or Rus in. I want to be a premiership contender for three or four years (like the lions and cats) than just for one. I also want to see our kids take us to glory and not some reject from another club. Call me greedy.

I don't understand this mentality. Getting Hall doesn't mean Dawes and Rusling disappear, they will still develop and will be a threat in 3-4 years. Sure, it will be harder for them to get a game but we might as well tank if we're going to give young KPF's a game for the sake of development. If anything it will put a rocket up the arse of Cloke (and Anthony to a lesser extent) and make them perform otherwise they know their place in the 22 will be taken.

We made a prelim THIS YEAR, why look at 2012 and not look at 2010? We were lacking firepower when we needed it most this year and no doubt Hall will give us this. Take a look at our top 5 goalkickers this year:

1. Anthony (50 goals) - Had a great year no doubt. However, he struggles against the best fullbacks and in finals you play against the best fullbacks. He can't be our go to man in finals, not big enough and honestly I don't think he'll ever be good enough to beat players the calibre of Scarlett, Lake etc (not a swipe at his ability more his body size, not really his fault)
2. Davis (35 goals) - Can't play finals football pure and simple. We can't rely on him to kick us a winning score.
3. Lockyer (32 goals) - He's only going to get worse, not better. Again, we can't be relying on Lockyer to kick us a score in finals.
4. Cloke (22 goals) - Can't kick. History tells us that players don't drastically improve their goal kicking throughout their career.
4. Dick (22 goals) - Looked out of his depth in finals. Decent effort from Dick this year. An X-factor for sure if he fires.
4. Medhurst (22 goals) - We know what he can do. Just had a bad year. Hopefully he can get back to his best next year.

Hall kicked 31 goals from 11 this year FWIW. He would just give us an extra dimension that we haven't had since Rocca was in his prime.

Hall, Lloyd and Robertson are finished. Their coaches don't want to be rid of them because they slept with their missus. These guys have have good careers but clubs that loved them let them go - much the same as Rocca. You don't move forward replacing like for like.

Now if we were to somehow get Tippet, Franklin or Roughhead then we could get excited but the reality is these types rarely change clubs unless they are going home. I'd still throw the hat in ring for Tippet though.

I think we have to play Dawes for a good period early next year. We have to know what we have.

but having Hall/Robertson would free up Anthony (who no longer need to contend with the best defender every match)...
But they are both duds whose best football is many years behind them.

Have you heard of Dawes or Rusling, I understand they are available

Well we do need to replace Peverill now, especially seeing as he though it was more important to attend a friends wedding then play in a VFL Preliminary Final for a team he was supposed to be captain for.

So, the VFL change is;

In: Russell Robertson

Out: Damien Peverill

Wow. I didn't know that.

Imagine a head like that in your wedding photos too. :eek:

But they are both duds whose best football is many years behind them.

Have you heard of Dawes or Rusling, I understand they are available

i have heard of them... as i understand they arent good enough yet... and we need a good forward now! ruslings body needs to get better and dawes can improve in the vfl with full matches and occasionly in the afl.
we are playing to win a premiership we have a bloody good chance if we can kick goals but that isnt happening with the forwards we have at the moment!

We will not be realistically looking at a premiership for at least two years. The young guys need a chance to find their feet. We do not want Robertson or Hall or anyone else that's not going to be around in 2011 - 12.

Sign Dawes to a contract where he gets an extra $1000 for each overhead pack-mark he takes. Maybe Rusling will get through a pre-season after playing BP in the VFL prelim. With all our cattle on the field competition may get the best out of the young guns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodbye Rocca... Hello Hall?? Robertson??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back