Deep North

Senior List
Mar 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melb Victory, West Ham
Shocking game from Gamble tonight, did not look like an AFL player.

I know we were flogged by injuries and the flood but Gamble was just terrible. First time I've seen us with a genuine weak link for years. Did he make an effective disposal?

Problem is, with all our injuries and likely suspensions he'll probably play next week.

Re: Ryan Gamble, goodbye

Why do we always get over reaction threads bagging players after we lose?

It comes from expectation and raising the bar high. Lesser teams would have been happy with the result overall.

He can be bog in the vfl every week but he still seems lacking when given the chance at afl level. Since he knocked himself out vs the Dogs last year he hasn't been the same. However considering we performed poorly in many places i don't think you can really judge him on this game.

Saying that i don't think he will be able to cut it as a defender although i thought the same about Lonergan and he is now serviceable.

It comes from expectation and raising the bar high. Lesser teams would have been happy with the result overall.

Yea, you do make a good point. I guess this is why Geelong have been so good for so long.

But still, the whole team was terrible. I just hate threads where individuals are singled out.

Especially when it is entirely negative.

Saying that i don't think he will be able to cut it as a defender although i thought the same about Lonergan and he is now serviceable.

when schneider or stevens was running into goal and he had that stutter chase was a bit terrible....but he looked better when thrown forward.

Thought he was reasonable up forward, offered at least as much as any of the other forwards in the second half (that's not saying much, though).

I wouldn't say he is gone (although that may be possible) but tonight did show why this idea the coaching staff had to make him into a defender won't work, and if he ever plays seniors again, it should only be as a forward, and never ever again as a defender. He was ok when shifted forward to use his leap etc. As we saw he lacks the accountability to play well as a defender, he has neither the size nor the skill to play as a key back (unlike lonergan) and is not quick enough or accountable enough to play lockdown on a small.

I think T Hunt, Duncan, Hogan, maybe even West and Simpson have shown more promise.

Gamble was frequently out of position down back and looked a bit slow up forward (and the last thing we need is another slow forward). I think he'll get another chance, but won't get many more given the amount of time he's had at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me he looked confused and out of sorts. He's had his natural creative forward flair beaten out of him in the VFL, and looked uncomfortable and slow down back.

Gamble obviously needs to take responsibility for his failure at senior level over the last 2 years, but the club need to acknowledge their part in his poor performances.

Can't really see him getting a game again.:( We'd have to be desperate.

Gamble is no defender. He has played a handful of games there at VFL level, comes in against the other best team in the competition in defence and struggles. Fair enough I say.

I've seen enough to know he can be a damaging forward. Just doesn't really get a go there.

As soon as I heard that Gamble was a late replacement for Kelly, I thought to myself "Oh ****!" as I knew Bomber would put him in the backline and he'd have a shocker.

The thing is he hasn't been a good defender in the VFL either. I've seen several occasions when he's coughed the ball up with little or no pressure, and has conceded easy goals to his opponent. Why did they think he'd do any better in the seniors? :confused:

He did play a bit better when he was moved forward, but the damage was done then. Schneider had kicked 3 and had his tail up. Even when he was forward, he regularly butchered the ball going forward (but he wasn't on his own there last night).

I'd love to know what Duncan's done to piss the selection committee off, as he hardly put a foot wrong when he was in the seniors, yet he's been constantly overlooked since. Either he or Hogan would've been a better inclusion IMO, but I guess hindsight's always 20/20.

Gamble is no defender. He has played a handful of games there at VFL level, comes in against the other best team in the competition in defence and struggles. Fair enough I say.

I've seen enough to know he can be a damaging forward. Just doesn't really get a go there.

I agree.

Geelong didn't move the ball well last night and StKilda put on the King of all floods when they had time. It was very difficult for all the forwards to find opportunities, let alone a 2nd stringer.

What is your overall SuperCoach score Mr. 'SuperCoach Elite"?

And the reason he's been put in the back half in the twos would be......? Let me have a stab. It's because the wise heads on the match committee have noted he doesn't chase, has little interest in the defensive skills, likes taking speckies, and doesn't adhere to the Geelong disciplines. One way of doing something about those deficiencies is to place him where they might develop. He's had enough opportunities up forward and hasn't delivered. Glimpses of ability don't cut it.

And the reason he's been put in the back half in the twos would be......? Let me have a stab. It's because the wise heads on the match committee have noted he doesn't chase, has little interest in the defensive skills, likes taking speckies, and doesn't adhere to the Geelong disciplines. One way of doing something about those deficiencies is to place him where they might develop. He's had enough opportunities up forward and hasn't delivered. Glimpses of ability don't cut it.

That's the way I see it, he hasn't exactly dominated up forward when he has played there in the twos. I saw him play last year, I think it was the Port Melbourne game, and he was terrible - every attempt looked like he was trying for mark/goal of the year. He lead into other forwards' space, flew when he should have stayed down and his defensive skills were lacklustre. Some people call it flair, but I just don't think he follows the team rules. It's bad enough at times when SJ does it, he gets away with it because he's a superstar - a naturally gifted player who can tear a game apart. Gamble is a mile behind that.

I have no doubt he has the ability to contribute somewhere but probably not for us, given what we've seen of Duncan, T Hunt, etc, etc. Who knows, if the injuries and retirements fall the right way for him, and he learns a bit, his future might be at the Cats. I won't be disappointed if he stays on the list, but at the same time I don't think I'll be tearing up my membership if he moves on either.

when schneider or stevens was running into goal and he had that stutter chase was a bit terrible....but he looked better when thrown forward.

Yep, a guy who hasn't been able to establish a position in the side, and when he gets another opportunity can't even do the absolute basics is a terrible outcome.

Happened a couple of times, where he thought the St Kilda player was going to kick so he stopped chasing, then had to try to go again when they kept running forward with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Goodbye Ryan Gamble

Remove this Banner Ad

Back