Goodes - surely must go this time

Remove this Banner Ad

What pisses me is the sort of protection afforded to Kerr. The umpires mikes picked up on the telecast comments to the effect of "keep an eye on Jack at the back of the stoppages", a clear reference to Jack's tag on Kerr. Surprise surprise Kerr picks up a shit load of cheap frees around the stoppages, no problem with that if the tag is holding, BUT,
Yes, Jack was holding on to Kerr, on at least 5 different occassions, and that is illegal in AFL. Hence Kerr was awarded a free kick when the umpires saw it. What's your point? Seriously... have a cry.

Yet Stenglein can line up Goodes within 5 seconds of the game starting with an elbow to the head, no report, no free kick, no 100 page threads on bigfooty, NO PROTECTION for the Swans star player. I'm not surprise he was full of the angry pills after that. It's happening to him week after week and the opposition is well aware they can get away with it because the umps are keeping an eye on the Kerrs and Judds of the world and not Goodes.
Hmm, I THINK that may have something to do with the proven tag Goodes has as a cheap-shot player. He is known for fact to give low-blows/behind the play hits to players and get away with it because he's in bed with AFL. Stenglein on the other hand has no such tag. Comprehendo?

Yes he's got to be able to wear it and get on with his game without resorting to retaliating like he did with Selwood but the lack of consistency give me the shits.

Oh there is consistency, Goodes consistently gets off for his indiscretions. And btw, you are talking chalk and cheese... Stenglein gave Goodes a bump in play, Jack was repeatedly holding Kerr out of play. :rolleyes:

Just saw it on Fox......that from a dual brownlow meddalist was disgracefull.........no attempt at the ball just tried to take the player out

I new he was a sniper but that is tottaly gutless

Consistency or even the impression of consistency is not an issue for the AFL. It has proven it is willing to make blatantly inconsistent decisions in order to further its various agendas.

The umpire who reported Goodes indicated on the TV coverage that it was for "front on contact". It clearly wasn't front on and this could very well be the loophole that the AFL is looking for. Not that it needs a loophole........:mad: :thumbsdown:

Lets not over react as the Sydney clause will be enacted again that is mandatory anytime that Goodes or Hall are cited.

Outcome - Selwood out for 4 weeks for deliberately headbutting Goodes leg / hip region.

Oh there is consistency, Goodes consistently gets off for his indiscretions. And btw, you are talking chalk and cheese... Stenglein gave Goodes a bump in play, Jack was repeatedly holding Kerr out of play. :rolleyes:

Go and reread my post, I'm comparing Stengleins hit on Goodes in the first 5 seconds and then Goodes on Selwood, both hits to the head. The difference, no free kick, no report versus a free and a report.

Oh and by the way, what's your definition of in play :rolleyes: The ball was metres away from Goodes and he wasn't even attempting to get hold of it when Stenglein got him.

Go and reread my post, I'm comparing Stengleins hit on Goodes in the first 5 seconds and then Goodes on Selwood, both hits to the head. The difference, no free kick, no report versus a free and a report.

Oh and by the way, what's your definition of in play :rolleyes: The ball was metres away from Goodes and he wasn't even attempting to get hold of it when Stenglein got him.

even the commentators said stenglein missed him.

Consistency or even the impression of consistency is not an issue for the AFL. It has proven it is willing to make blatantly inconsistent decisions in order to further its various agendas.

The umpire who reported Goodes indicated on the TV coverage that it was for "front on contact". It clearly wasn't front on and this could very well be the loophole that the AFL is looking for. Not that it needs a loophole........:mad: :thumbsdown:
Thats exactly what I said to a mate when it happened.Not sure if the charge can be altered(re worded) at MRP before it goes up.Swans lawyers (not sure if they'll be operating under instruction from the AFL as you suggest)will be busy sifting through the words as we speak,as any good counsel should for their client.I don't necessarily agree with things being played out this way but in their attempts to make all processes transparent the AFL has to offer each player who has to have their day in court a right of proper representation.
In saying that I believe he should go as rules stand these days.I'm from the old school, you do the crime you do the time. At first look he appeared to alter his line towards the conteset making the bump his first intention not the ball.But isn't that what they are taught.This is what troubles me with the grading sysytem.In a contact sport why is intent to make contact punishable?
I could understand if it were a non contact sport which somer people seem to be trying their damndest to achieve.The game has been sanitised to such a level now that the "mum & dad supporters" need to be appeased so as to keep the "cashcow" fattened enough for those that (?) the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators........... oh yes Mr. "we're home (at half time)" Jakovitch.

No bias there.

Actually it was Jason Dunstall who said it didn't connect, but why let facts get in the way of a good whinge right?

The problem with Goodes bump is the impact seems to be mostly against the head and neck region. If the AFL are at all serious about not having players end up in wheelchairs then Goodes has to go for at least 3 games, AFTER the reduction for an early plea and clean record.

The problem with Goodes bump is the impact seems to be mostly against the head and neck region. If the AFL are at all serious about not having players end up in wheelchairs then Goodes has to go for at least 3 games, AFTER the reduction for an early plea and clean record.

He's got carry over points from a previous report, so no clean record

He'll go, and he probably should, for 1-2 weeks. I was a bit iffy about whether it was intentional, but since Goodes could've stopped ..

Hopefully he puts the angry pills away for times when he really needs them.

What a crock, the contact was not front on which is the issue with head and neck contact.

He was also entitled to bump him as well as the Selwood had the ball.

However his contact ended up being high (after initially making contact with the shoulder) and therefore he should be given a week for the slight contact to the head. Add in the 70 carry over points and it may end up 2 weeks.

DST

Wow, looks like we continue to deal with fact and logic on these boards (goodes rule, protected species, etc. etc.) Probably will get 1-2 with an early plea. Should have pulled out and didn't and the consequences were ordinary. Similar principle to that applied to the parents of West Coast supporters.

To those saying Stenglein made no head high contact with Goodes around 5 metres off the ball need perhaps have taken a few blows to the head themselves. Clearly connected with twice as much force as the 'hit' by Goodes. Does this mean he is looking at 4-5 weeks? What i have to question is why at a centre bounce with all three umpires focussing on that area did none spot the head high contact on Goodes and pay a free kick. Perhaps too busy targeting individual players just in case they were holding on during a contest? Maybe if umpires focussed on the rules of the game and not on particular contests or players they may find themselves making a few correct decisions.

And as for all the free kicks paid to the likes of Kerr and Lynch for arms around the player away from the contest. Had Barry Hall been afforded the same level of on field protection earlier in the season a free would have been paid ten seconds before Staker copped the full brunt of Hall's non-dominant fist.

The AFL freaking own Sydney. What makes you think Goodes is going to get suspended? Welcome to the future.

Wow, looks like we continue to deal with fact and logic on these boards (goodes rule, protected species, etc. etc.) Probably will get 1-2 with an early plea. Should have pulled out and didn't and the consequences were ordinary. Similar principle to that applied to the parents of West Coast supporters.

To those saying Stenglein made no head high contact with Goodes around 5 metres off the ball need perhaps have taken a few blows to the head themselves. Clearly connected with twice as much force as the 'hit' by Goodes. Does this mean he is looking at 4-5 weeks? What i have to question is why at a centre bounce with all three umpires focussing on that area did none spot the head high contact on Goodes and pay a free kick. Perhaps too busy targeting individual players just in case they were holding on during a contest? Maybe if umpires focussed on the rules of the game and not on particular contests or players they may find themselves making a few correct decisions.

And as for all the free kicks paid to the likes of Kerr and Lynch for arms around the player away from the contest. Had Barry Hall been afforded the same level of on field protection earlier in the season a free would have been paid ten seconds before Staker copped the full brunt of Hall's non-dominant fist.

Stenglein twice as hard? get your hand off it, you will go blind. Goodes' acting was poor, and Jason Dunstall even acknowledged that. Perhaps there was no free because the ump wasn't duped by the dive?

What a crock, the contact was not front on which is the issue with head and neck contact.

That's not the issue, the issue is that "the head is sacrosanct", as stated by Demetriou during the week. If the MRP/tribunal is consistent, Goodes must go (Stenglein also), but experience tells us to expect verdicts that will not make sense.

If he doesn't go, there's a number of other suspended players who should just throw their hands in the air and walk away from the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes - surely must go this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back