Goulburn Valley FL - 2010 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, United by somewhere around 20 points, Dawes for the medal.
Top 5 definitely a better set up than a top 6, given there is currently little to no advantage for finishing top at the moment and the 6th team is usually far from up to it (i.e. take Mansfield this year).
Good luck to Morrison medalist Kristan Height who undergoes a knee reconstruction this week and all the best to Brendan Rinaldi after suffering multiple fractures to his face as a result of the ugly collision on Sunday. Dirty Dave must have been thanking the football gods for shining down on him as Height didn't take the field at all and Echuca were without Rinaldi for the majority of the second half. Had one or both of those players played out the game it may have been a different story but that's football.
Good luck to all teams on the weekend, should be some great footy played throughout the day and finish off what has been a great season in the GVFL.

There is no place for excuses at this time of the year. You didn't hear Mansfield on here whingeing about having half their side out in the first final, or Mooroopna sooking about losing Gay, Patak and Lowe for their final. Thats footy mate. With the amount of money Echuca shelled out this year they should have been able to cover one or two injuries.

Just on the final 6 system they have at present, I think there's too much reward for finishing 3rd.. The 'easiest' first final (although I realise it's an elimination final) and then, if you win, a double chance against a side (1 or 2), who's played a massive game the week before! I know it has a lot of critics, but 1v6, 2v5, 3v4 in the first round of finals makes more sense and rewards 1 and 2 with easier first up matches. It admittedly gets more confusing having the 2 lowest placed losers bowing out, but it should be a case of using the fairest model. As it stands I think most agree the top 5 is the 'best', fairest and most popular system, but in my opinion there are too many teams in the GV to warrant using it..

I think United will get over the line by 3 goals, Sidebottom to turn it on in a BOG performance..

I know it has a lot of critics, but 1v6, 2v5, 3v4 in the first round of finals makes more sense and rewards 1 and 2 with easier first up matches. It admittedly gets more confusing having the 2 lowest placed losers bowing out, but it should be a case of using the fairest model. As it stands I think most agree the top 5 is the 'best', fairest and most popular system, but in my opinion there are too many teams in the GV to warrant using it..
QUOTE]

Has that system ever been used before Tav?
Because most years 3v4 would be playing each other two weeks in a row, 1 & 2 win, 5 & 6 being the lowest placed losers go out leaving 3 & 4 for the 1st Semi.
My Final 6 would be;
1st Week
Qual Final 1 v 4 (or 1 v 3)
Qual Final 2 v 3 (or 2 v 4)
Elim Final 5 v 6

2nd Week

2nd Semi - Winners of both Qual Finals
1st Semi - Highest Ranked Loser of Qual Finals v Winner Elim Final

Then as per normal.

Pros -
1st to 4th get chance to make 2nd Semi and they know what they are playing for, at the moment 4th v 5th final winner might play in a 2nd Semi.
1st gets distinct advantage for finishing on top by being only side gauranteed a double chance in the 1st week.
1st and 2nd have the opportunity to play each other in the 2nd Semi (Something that can not happen at the moment)
5th can not play in a 2nd Semi which can and has happened in the past.
3rd may get a 2nd chance 1st week if 1 & 2 win, at the moment they are either 2nd Semi bound or out.

Cons -
Only Con, and its a big one, is that 2nd is not gauranteed a double chance. If 3rd and 4th both win 1st week then 2nd will be out. (One way of giving 2nd a slightly better chance would be having 1 v 3 & 2 v 4 in the 1st week, nothing else changes other than giving 2nd percievably an easier game and since 1st already has a gauranteed 2nd chance maybe 2nd should get the chance to play 4th)

There is no place for excuses at this time of the year. You didn't hear Mansfield on here whingeing about having half their side out in the first final, or Mooroopna sooking about losing Gay, Patak and Lowe for their final. Thats footy mate. With the amount of money Echuca shelled out this year they should have been able to cover one or two injuries.

Firstly mate you are assuming that this blogger barracks for Echuca...he/she may not. Might just be giving an educated opinion. Secondly, you are assuming Echuca paid big dollars......wrong....they simply recruited well and put in an enormous effort that started way back in June the year before. So to take a pot shot and assume they spent big money is based not on fact but an ill informed view. Thirdly...Echuca are not sooking, they were beaten by a better side on the day.

[/b][/color]

Firstly mate you are assuming that this blogger barracks for Echuca...he/she may not. Might just be giving an educated opinion. Secondly, you are assuming Echuca paid big dollars......wrong....they simply recruited well and put in an enormous effort that started way back in June the year before. So to take a pot shot and assume they spent big money is based not on fact but an ill informed view. Thirdly...Echuca are not sooking, they were beaten by a better side on the day.

I am always interested in this arguement no matter what football team.
"Assuming Echuca paid big dollars" - Echuca recruited players with AFL, VFL and SANFL experience. Are you suggesting that the players asking price is lower playing for Echuca? Recruits cost money and I think everyone knows this so may as well just go with it.
Echuca would have spent big money comparing their list to Euroa or Benalla. How do you measure big money?? I think Rochester would have spent big money compared to Benalla and Euroa as well but I would be confident in saying they would not have spent as much on players as Echuca did this year. Good luck to Echuca if you can afford it.

I think its fair to assume the arguement is what is big money? Have Echuca spent 50K, 100K , 200K or more on players. How much did Ky, United and the Swans spend? If its close to $200K its big money compared to some other clubs in the league. Its the have Versus the have nots. Euroa did this a few years ago and if you have it and want success so be it but please dont treat us like imbeciles saying that players are cheap and the players recruited are playing for nothing.
Nuff said.

"Assuming Echuca paid big dollars" - Echuca recruited players with AFL, VFL and SANFL experience. Are you suggesting that the players asking price is lower playing for Echuca? Recruits cost money and I think everyone knows this so may as well just go with it.
Echuca would have spent big money comparing their list to Euroa or Benalla. How do you measure big money?? I think Rochester would have spent big money compared to Benalla and Euroa as well but I would be confident in saying they would not have spent as much on players as Echuca did this year. Good luck to Echuca if you can afford it.

I think its fair to assume the arguement is what is big money? Have Echuca spent 50K, 100K , 200K or more on players. How much did Ky, United and the Swans spend? If its close to $200K its big money compared to some other clubs in the league. Its the have Versus the have nots. Euroa did this a few years ago and if you have it and want success so be it but please dont treat us like imbeciles saying that players are cheap and the players recruited are playing for nothing.
Nuff said.

Well said. This is a constant argument.
It's also about value for money as well. I wish you could go to the footy shop and buy a centre half forward for X amount of dollars and be guaranteed of what you would get.

My tip is United by 22 pts in the Seniors
The Medal to Matt Rendina

Reserves i think Echuca to win by 24 pts
I wonder how many players can drop back from the 1sts

Thirds Shepp should win this by 10 Goals

Also a rumoured signing getting around is Shepparton have signed Congupna on-baller Shannon Emmett

Also a rumoured signing getting around is Shepparton have signed Congupna on-baller Shannon Emmett
I'm not sure how many can drop back but was talking to a ky player on the weekend and he was stoked that Echuca's ones were out, and not just because it ment their seniors were still in it. Apparently there are a few who have been playing reserves finals for Echuca who are now ineligible with their senior side being knocked out. Would that be because they played too many regular season games?

I'm not sure how many can drop back but was talking to a ky player on the weekend and he was stoked that Echuca's ones were out, and not just because it ment their seniors were still in it. Apparently there are a few who have been playing reserves finals for Echuca who are now ineligible with their senior side being knocked out. Would that be because they played too many regular season games?

I think the rule is play 3 club games and that qualify you for finals
But if you play a game in the seniors i think you then have to of played 6 reserves games to qualify.
Correct me if i am wrong

Some people are so sensitive on this leagues site. Not having a go Connors, agree with what you're saying just calling it as I saw it on the weekend. Kyabram have been the best team/club all year and thoroughly deserve to be where they are at. I did say "that's football" and was emphasising that this time of year you require some luck. The mighty cats definitely have had the worst run of luck leading into and in the finals and are unlikely to see big Mick Gay return which is a shame. I don't think it's fair to speculate on any teams and what they spend, all clubs go through cycles of spending more some years than others and I don't think there would be much difference between the spending of the top six teams. The beauty about this year is all of the local talent that has returned to their home clubs (i.e. Pettifer to Kyabram, Height to Echuca) improving the league and showing off the quality of footballers this region has produced. And when local footballers return to their home clubs it would be a fair assumption that they are on less money than what would be offered elsewhere meaning sides like Rochester, Swans, Ky, United, Echuca for example aren't spending as much as what people would think, rather getting better value for money.
On the final six, is there any way that perhaps the two top teams could have the first week of the finals off and go straight to a second semi, whereas 3-6 & 4-5 are elimination finals with the winners playing the following week in a first semi?

On the final six, is there any way that perhaps the two top teams could have the first week of the finals off and go straight to a second semi, whereas 3-6 & 4-5 are elimination finals with the winners playing the following week in a first semi?

This is the way that the MFL run theirs. The issue is that it generates one less final which means less $. It does however ensure 1 & 2 get a decent advantage.

Spoke with Shannon and he said he has signed at shepp as will Ben and Josh Wellington when they return from the United States. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuff said.

GG you are obviously an imbecile!!!! Read my post very slowly so you can understand it.....I never referred to anyone being an imbecile and saying that players are cheap and play for nothing!!!! What i was referring to was that the misconception is that just because you recruit well does not mean that you paid "big Money". In Echuca's case the hard work went in to gaining good jobs for many of those recruits wich supplements their incomes. This in turn allows you to pay less for their services on the football field. Having said that, the other factor is that many of their recruits this year are coming back to the club they started with to all play together to try and win the ultimate prize. For this to happen they have all taken "prices" off their heads and play for realistic $$$. So as i said be careful when taking pott shots at a club that has worked very hard to make this happen. Good luck to all teams this week.:thumbsu:

GG you are obviously an imbecile!!!! Read my post very slowly so you can understand it.....I never referred to anyone being an imbecile and saying that players are cheap and play for nothing!!!! What i was referring to was that the misconception is that just because you recruit well does not mean that you paid "big Money". In Echuca's case the hard work went in to gaining good jobs for many of those recruits wich supplements their incomes. This in turn allows you to pay less for their services on the football field. Having said that, the other factor is that many of their recruits this year are coming back to the club they started with to all play together to try and win the ultimate prize. For this to happen they have all taken "prices" off their heads and play for realistic $$$. So as i said be careful when taking pott shots at a club that has worked very hard to make this happen. Good luck to all teams this week.:thumbsu:

Not teaching comprehension I hope! I said you were treating people like imbeciles trying to flog of the comapny line that the players have reduced their price. The reason the player reduces their price is that they cant get paid like they did in the AFL, SANFL or VFL. Different level of commitment and standard. Of course they are cheaper than the previous year as they are stepping back to local footy.
Just once I would love to see someone get on a forum and say " we spent a shiteload this year and more than we ever have previously" but its always we recruited well but it didnt cost us. CRAP.

I agree you didnt referred to anyone as an imbecile except myself of which I can now call you. Re read my response. Thats it for another year on this subject.

dony know whos paying what but i got on to the sportsbet site and they have the odds up for sundays game.
kyabram $1.57
united $2.35
any thoughts?

Full rundown of the match? Better players, goal scorers etc?

Shepparton United 12.12-84
def.
Kyabram 8.12-60
Shepparton United 1/4 3 3 1/2 6 7 3/4 9 10 Full12 12 84
Kyabram....................0 2......1 5.......5 9.......8 12 60

Shepparton United
Goal Kickers: J. Eagle 4, M. Davies 2, N. GEMMILL , R. Normington , T. Roberts , L. O''Sullivan , T. Sidebottom , S. Scott
Best Players: R. Normington, S. Dawes, R. Butler, J. Eagle, T. Roberts, T. Sidebottom
Kyabram
Goal Kickers: D. Newman 2, H. Barnett 2, S. Seddon , P. Newman , C. Atkins , K. Pettifer
Best Players: R. Edwards, S. Seddon, S. Beattie, P. Newman, J. Linton, J. Reeves

VCFL Medal Sam Dawes (Voted by Umpires)
Wilf Cox Medal Ryan Normington (Voted by Media)

congrats to united on winning the premiership. couldn't make it up the freeway but did listen over the web and it sounded like your classic catch-up-footy afternoon. hard to believe the gate because even though i'm told it was a ground record the atmosphere did not sound fantastic.

i met eagle and huy when they first arrived in shepp and it was clear from the start those two were going to lift the club up the table. to this extent, it's impressive. i hear eagle is moving on and grant weeks from golden square is the big go.

does anyone know what the budget changes for each club next year will be? anyone massively spending up or dropping off?

congrats to united on winning the premiership. couldn't make it up the freeway but did listen over the web and it sounded like your classic catch-up-footy afternoon. hard to believe the gate because even though i'm told it was a ground record the atmosphere did not sound fantastic.

i met eagle and huy when they first arrived in shepp and it was clear from the start those two were going to lift the club up the table. to this extent, it's impressive. i hear eagle is moving on and grant weeks from golden square is the big go.

does anyone know what the budget changes for each club next year will be? anyone massively spending up or dropping off?

You'd also expect Phil Carroll to be back at United after finishing Uni and playing against Weeks in the Bendigo FL Grand Final yesterday.

I Hear a Few Ovens and Murray blokes are keen to playin in the GV next season, not sure how true it is, but a couple of North Albury Boys Kurt Bradshaw, Kade Brown..... Brown Played for the O&M in the interleague game including 42goals in the normal season as a small forward, i dont know much about bradshaw but he did play every game this year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back