Goulburn Valley FL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes a hamstring injury. However as a side note Axel Childs wore his number out of respect for his mate missing the game, which I thought was an outstanding thing to do.
Turbo your comments of Reeves struggling against the bigger bodies in the EDFL is a good wake up to those of us in the GVFL as many of us don't understand the huge leap in standard of the metropolitan leagues. Ky played against Keillor in a practice match this year and their ruckman was a replica of Reeves but much taller. Jake commented that he was the toughest ruckman he had played against.

The EDFL is a better standard than most other Metro leagues but I wouldn't say its a huge leap. GVFL better than many Metro leagues. Ruckman are a different matter as large Jake plays ruck like a Union front rower .... Not many tricks. A larger version of Jake will naturally beat the smaller version of Jake, and there are many larger versions (ex-AFL/VFL types) in the EDFL. I believe he discovered that last year.

Reeves smaller Rochester opponent Sam Brennan was named 2nd best for his side ... What does that tell us? It tells us Kyabram deservedly won the game, but more than that, the game was pretty even in the middle. Kyabram won because its quality defense in Smith/Morgan, Clarke, Vick et al rendered Rochy's forward line quite helpless. Kyabram's defence won the GF. Not their middles or forwards.

Wa
Lachlan Smith it has been reported has signed at Rochester this morning
Interesting that the recruiters at Rochy have found the time to sign up a player with the same name as the dual premiership player from Kyabram while also celebrating a great season with their players. Knowing and loving the hard working people there it wouldn't surprise me. Hope he is as good as our Lachie Smith but hopefully he wasn't as under the weather as ours was this morning.
Hoping the top four in the GV next year consist of Ky, Echuca, Rochy & Tat to give those east of the river something to think about.

#25 from KY Reeves did play EDFL last year but did seem to struggle against the bigger bodies in EDFL as well as the smaller grounds especially his home club last year in Marby Park. He did arrive with big wraps though.

How come Sam Sheldon didn't play? Was he injured?
jake has been struggling with injuries for probably last 3/4 years, how many games he play with marby last year , maybe 4 in first half of year but was gone in second half of year. Thought he had biggest impact in GF, set up game in centre and around the game. Backline was excellent also

The EDFL is a better standard than most other Metro leagues but I wouldn't say its a huge leap. GVFL better than many Metro leagues. Ruckman are a different matter as large Jake plays ruck like a Union front rower .... Not many tricks. A larger version of Jake will naturally beat the smaller version of Jake, and there are many larger versions (ex-AFL/VFL types) in the EDFL. I believe he discovered that last year.

Reeves smaller Rochester opponent Sam Brennan was named 2nd best for his side ... What does that tell us? It tells us Kyabram deservedly won the game, but more than that, the game was pretty even in the middle. Kyabram won because its quality defense in Smith/Morgan, Clarke, Vick et al rendered Rochy's forward line quite helpless. Kyabram's defence won the GF. Not their middles or forwards.
Appreciate your analysis of the game. Rochy 's run and spread really worried Ky and if it wasn't for their inaccurate goal kicking things would have been different. Ky really got their act together in the third quarter, and their defence held together all game. Rochy were terrific at half back the entire game as often marked uncontested.
The worst thing from a selfish perspective was beating a team who I have so many connections with and knowing the pain of getting so close from last year. Would rather some teams east of the river experience this again. Rochy will finish in the top 3 next year without even looking at the in and outs. If your Lachie Smith that you signed up that Carbsfotea said Rochy recruited is as good as KY's, then you are on a winner.

Appreciate your analysis of the game. Rochy 's run and spread really worried Ky and if it wasn't for their inaccurate goal kicking things would have been different. Ky really got their act together in the third quarter, and their defence held together all game. Rochy were terrific at half back the entire game as often marked uncontested.
The worst thing from a selfish perspective was beating a team who I have so many connections with and knowing the pain of getting so close from last year. Would rather some teams east of the river experience this again. Rochy will finish in the top 3 next year without even looking at the in and outs. If your Lachie Smith that you signed up that Carbsfotea said Rochy recruited is as good as KY's, then you are on a winner.

Ha ha bootz, i think carbs was taking the piss while Lochie on the piss. Perhaps a signature on a beer coaster as evidence for the prosecution 'your honour' ...

Great win by Ky, and Reeves did play very well but as the biggest bloke on the ground I didn't think the best. I thought Clarke BOG. Ky's Lochie Smith is the best player in the comp I reckon. Brilliant player. His injury slowed Ky down dramatically.

Nothing but respect for the undefeated premiers from me here bootz. Cheers.

Hey bootz, you or your old man didn't own a butcher's shop in Rochy years ago did he?

Hey bootz, you or your old man didn't own a butcher's shop in Rochy years ago did he?
No my family had a butcher's shop at Nyah West. But my mum was an Iddles and her mum married a Moon, thus my close love of Rochy. In fact not many people know but Win Iddles would have been the first ever football statician. When McMahon coached Rochy he would yell out stats for her to write down. When he went to coach Melbourne he took this idea with him.

No my family had a butcher's shop at Nyah West. But my mum was an Iddles and her mum married a Moon, thus my close love of Rochy. In fact not many people know but Win Iddles would have been the first ever football statician. When McMahon coached Rochy he would yell out stats for her to write down. When he went to coach Melbourne he took this idea with him.
Nice work bootz. Totally understand the connection.

Obviously disappointing to lose, especially given the chances the team were able to create. Accuracy has been an issue all year. Ky deserved it though, as they were the best team all year.

I'd like the Rochy administration to have a good recruitment strategy over the summer. The team has been pretty good the past few years with primarily local talent. However, there hasn't really been many major recruits in that time. Stroobants was a big get, but outside him, I can't remember many recruits from out of the district. Maybe the club is holding back after the recruitment of Aaron Ramsay and Luke Wilson didn't really work out back in 2013.

Rochy doesn't need to spend big money and recruit ten players. They need to recruit smartly, like they did back in 2008 when they added three guns (Collins, Deuscher and O'Brien) and added some handy role players (Givney, Perry). They need to identify a few key areas that are deficiency and recruit around that. Hopefully Grant Weeks comes back, which would obviously create momentum when talking to other players. Selling the team to prospective recruits should be easier after losing a GF to the undefeated team by just 13 points.

Rochy only used 29 of its 45 player points for the GF (Ky had 28) so there's room to work with if they recruit smartly. Ky has a great luxury of having many guns coming through at the right time and were able to capitalise on that in the past few years. Rochy has a good group, but it's below what Ky has. A smart recruitment program by the club can hopefully get a flag next year before Watson, Aitken, Brennan, Bowen etc. all retire.

Obviously disappointing to lose, especially given the chances the team were able to create. Accuracy has been an issue all year. Ky deserved it though, as they were the best team all year.

I'd like the Rochy administration to have a good recruitment strategy over the summer. The team has been pretty good the past few years with primarily local talent. However, there hasn't really been many major recruits in that time. Stroobants was a big get, but outside him, I can't remember many recruits from out of the district. Maybe the club is holding back after the recruitment of Aaron Ramsay and Luke Wilson didn't really work out back in 2013.

Rochy doesn't need to spend big money and recruit ten players. They need to recruit smartly, like they did back in 2008 when they added three guns (Collins, Deuscher and O'Brien) and added some handy role players (Givney, Perry). They need to identify a few key areas that are deficiency and recruit around that. Hopefully Grant Weeks comes back, which would obviously create momentum when talking to other players. Selling the team to prospective recruits should be easier after losing a GF to the undefeated team by just 13 points.

Rochy only used 29 of its 45 player points for the GF (Ky had 28) so there's room to work with if they recruit smartly. Ky has a great luxury of having many guns coming through at the right time and were able to capitalise on that in the past few years. Rochy has a good group, but it's below what Ky has. A smart recruitment program by the club can hopefully get a flag next year before Watson, Aitken, Brennan, Bowen etc. all retire.

Heard that two of the above plus a couple of others might have played their last games
Any truth Brad Rowe ?

Heard that two of the above plus a couple of others might have played their last games
Any truth Brad Rowe ?

I reckon Bowen might be cooked and that calf tear will give Heath Aitken pause for thought, although he was intending to play next year prior to the calf injury. Would put question marks over Sanders and Anderson for 2017 also.

Rochester had an excellent team but if you use the analogy of when McGill tried getting a game in the same cricket team as Warne. The same team any other year would probably have won it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of chatter on the EDFL forum regarding Shepp's two recruits Davies and Stretton. Apparently neither are doing a preseason in 2017 ... which along with limited training during the season makes the trip to the GV each week more palatable than staying with Avondale Heights in the EDFL. Wonder what Brad Campbell makes of that?

Last edited:
A bit of chatter on the EDFL forum regarding Shepp's two recruits Byrnes and Stretton. Apparently neither are doing a preseason in 2017 ... which along with limited training during the season makes the trip to the GV each week more palatable than staying with Avondale Heights in the EDFL. Wonder what Brad Campbell makes of that?

Might be a spelling error Silver. It's Davies & Stretton heading up. I reckon they will still train with Avondale or a side in the Willy area. They surely won't be unfit.

Interested to see if these players are the missing link at the Shepp Bears. Davies more a half back and Stretton more a smaller forward but both, especially Davies could be used as an outside mid. Good luck to the Shepp Bears for getting 2 decent experienced recruits.,

Might be a spelling error Silver. It's Davies & Stretton heading up. I reckon they will still train with Avondale or a side in the Willy area. They surely won't be unfit.

Interested to see if these players are the missing link at the Shepp Bears. Davies more a half back and Stretton more a smaller forward but both, especially Davies could be used as an outside mid. Good luck to the Shepp Bears for getting 2 decent experienced recruits.,

Cheers Turbs. Brain thought Davies but thumbs typed Byrnes. (Shannon Byrnes played games last year and his home Club I think.)

A bit of chatter on the EDFL forum regarding Shepp's two recruits Davies and Stretton. Apparently neither are doing a preseason in 2017 ... which along with limited training during the season makes the trip to the GV each week more palatable than staying with Avondale Heights in the EDFL. Wonder what Brad Campbell makes of that?
Silver you're better than that, going off one disgruntled guys post. We might as well believe everything robjoll has to say too.

Silver you're better than that, going off one disgruntled guys post. We might as well believe everything robjoll has to say too.

Steady there Jimmy. Have a read of Bully man's posts on the EDFL and his stats of posts against likes and tell me he is 'one disgruntled guy' .

Based upon other people's reaction to his posts I am just as likely to note his opinions as your's Jimmy. As for robjoll ... please.

Did you see the word 'apparently' at the beginning of my post re Davies and Stretton? Maybe I should have said nothing at all and waited for someone to post something I could criticize? ... Like you hey Jimmy?

Any fear of us having a conversation about footy on big footy without you blocking it!

Last edited:
Steady there Jimmy. Have a read of Bully man's posts on the EDFL and his stats of posts against likes and tell me he is 'one disgruntled guy' .

Based upon other people's reaction to his posts I am just as likely to note his opinions as your's Jimmy. As for robjoll ... please.

Did you see the word 'apparently' at the beginning of my post re Davies and Stretton? Maybe I should have said nothing at all and waited for someone to post something I could criticize? ... Like you hey Jimmy?

Any fear of us having a conversation about footy on big footy without you blocking it for ****s sake?
Steady yourself there. It hasn't taken much for you to fire up tonight.

I wasn't criticising you, it's simply hard to believe that two professional players won't bother to train.

As for blocking you - it was a response to your post. Any fear of contributing to your conversation about footy on big footy without you spitting the dummy?

Shepp Swans have announced new coach for season 2017. It is Paul Griffiths, he has just finished as asst coach at Port Melb under Gary Ayres. Sounds very experienced, will be interesting to see how he goes.

Steady yourself there. It hasn't taken much for you to fire up tonight.

I wasn't criticising you, it's simply hard to believe that two professional players won't bother to train.

As for blocking you - it was a response to your post. Any fear of contributing to your conversation about footy on big footy without you spitting the dummy?

No dummy spit here Jimmy. Was communicating some information re: two players from Avondale Heights from an Avondale supporter who is obviously involved with the club. If you go to the the EDFL premier division forum you will see what he said. Do you know more about Avondale Heights than Bully man? Doubt it.

You started with the words ' it's simply hard to believe ...' (Unless it's Elvis sighted in a McDonald's) followed by 'two professional players wouldn't bother to train ..' which I never said by the way, and is central to the debate according to Bully man. As for robjoll comparisons Jimmy ... You get away with that this time.

Last edited:
Any truth Brad Rowe ?

No idea mate, you're closer to the action than I am.

Judging from what others have said, Bowen might be on his last legs.

Sammy "Stretch" Brennan would be 35 and playing ruck for his whole career would be taking its toll. Maybe if the club recruits a ruckman he could go around another year. Looking at the best players throughout the year, it looks like he had a pretty strong year.

Ash comes from good genes. His father Bruce played 302 GVFL games. But maybe his recent injury could force him to retire. He had a good year.

Heath has been a star for the club. Won a flag at age 16 and then made various Vic Country squads and seemed to be heading to the AFL before he did his knee. He's just had so many injuries now and calf injuries are always a sign that a player just can't go on anymore.

Will be an interesting few weeks anyway and you couldn't begrudge any of these guys for leaving the club as they are all modern day legends.

No idea mate, you're closer to the action than I am.

Judging from what others have said, Bowen might be on his last legs.

Sammy "Stretch" Brennan would be 35 and playing ruck for his whole career would be taking its toll. Maybe if the club recruits a ruckman he could go around another year. Looking at the best players throughout the year, it looks like he had a pretty strong year.

Ash comes from good genes. His father Bruce played 302 GVFL games. But maybe his recent injury could force him to retire. He had a good year.

Heath has been a star for the club. Won a flag at age 16 and then made various Vic Country squads and seemed to be heading to the AFL before he did his knee. He's just had so many injuries now and calf injuries are always a sign that a player just can't go on anymore.

Will be an interesting few weeks anyway and you couldn't begrudge any of these guys for leaving the club as they are all modern day legends.

Heath is 6 games shy of 200 and I reckon he will go again. Rat Cuttriss is 4 games short of 200 and same for him. Anderson knee didnt look good and no chance he has been to a doctor to see how bad yet. Could be major as when he went back on buckled on him?
Talking about Ruckman whats Oakley? I am still struggling as to why he didnt get a game in front of at least 4 others. I know he was back mid year but cant believe on form he got dropped.

No dummy spit here Jimmy. Was communicating some information re: two players from Avondale Heights from an Avondale supporter who is obviously involved with the club. If you go to the the EDFL premier division forum you will see what he said. Do you know more about Avondale Heights than Bully man? Doubt it.

You started with the words ' it's simply hard to believe ...' (Unless it's Elvis sighted in a McDonald's) followed by 'two professional players wouldn't bother to train ..' which I never said by the way, and is central to the debate according to Bully man. As for robjoll comparisons Jimmy ... You get away with that this time.
Moving on, to stop the back and forth. Well done to the swans on appointing Griffiths. Will be interesting to see how many players he can bring with him. Early whispers going around that a few of the swans boys might be moving on, but the club usually is able to replace losses easily enough.

What is the coaching situation with all clubs for next year?
Benalla - Morgan
Echuca - Briggs
Euroa - puta?
Ky - Newman
Mansfield - Hotton?
Mooroopna - Osborne
Rochy - Flaherty
Seymour - Colbert
Bears - Campbell
Swans - Griffiths
United - Quarrell?
Tat - Daniels