Goulburn Valley FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Morgan has 6 from Benalla because so many made themselves unavailable. Happens in every league when a club coach is also the interleague coach..
Will be players that made themselves available that won't get a game, was 33 in the squad, a bit more interest because its at the G.

What about the teams that were at the top of the ladder with Ky when the points were bought in. Rochy and Benalla were both in a similar position with excellent lists and plenty of locals. Why have they dropped away and Ky hasn't? You can't blame the points system for their drop off.
Seymour were in a position to contend this year after a prelim last year but lost a host of players in the off season.
I am completely against the new system but it's becoming boaring hearing the amount of people saying it's the main reason for kys dominanace. Their ability to attract quality players and maintain there list for an extended period time is the major reason for their dominance. Perhaps clubs could look at the way they go about managing there club and players and try to learn and implement some of there strategies.
What the system does do is prevent bottom sides from improving in a short period of time. It doesn't rule out other teams from becoming challenges who were around the mark the year before.
It prevents other clubs from catching them, as not only are they the dominate club but they are doing it with low points, which means if smart about it they can simply add a couple of 5 pointers every year and maintain their dominance , something that the challengers can't do.
The other impact is like as we saw with Shepp last year and Luke Minogue, a best 22 player can't be played in the biggest games of the year , so they become disguntled and leave.
It also filters down through the club with supporters , committee and other players.
You'd have to walk around with the eyes closed and ears blocked not see the amount of true long term GVFL people including hall of famers, who have lost or are losing interest.
If they've lost interest its not hard to understand why impartial people are also.

I’m not saying the points system is good for footy, because I’ve seen the issues it can cause.
However I think we need to remember what it was brought in for. A Focus more on retaining juniors and local senior players. Clearly this is a systemic issue throughout country vic which will hopefully change around over time.
The main issue in my opinion is the salary cap & the drop in standard which is why it’s so hard to recruit & bring back players to the comp
Interest is generally created in football by seeing talented youngsters who have the potential to go to the next standard or players dropping back a standard.

The pathways now in place are such that there is a significant process and time frame from a player playing in a country league to making the AFL.
20-30 years ago players were able and often went straight from country footy to playing on the MCG , via VFL reserves and if you go back even further when country footy was at its peak , they went from the country straight into VFL seniors.

With the points system, there is now a policy is place which is limiting the ability for players to drop back a standard, as they age or their interest in maintaining the intensity declines, which goes through all levels, AFL players to Major comps, Major comps to district comps.

In the country , Australian Rules football is no longer the only sport and nor is the Saturday at the football/netball, the preferred method of engaging in the community and friends.
Placing measures to reduce the interest in the game IMO is a dangerous move.

And???? He is committed to playing the 5 games that he can and finals. This is not a one off. Why does there have to be a negative slant to this? The league is crying out for profile and quality footballers.

The league is crying out for footballers that commit to playing the whole season and becoming part of their team culture not just rocking up for five games and then playing finals if the club actually makes it.

Echuca and you seem to hanging their hopes on now three players that between them have played one game for the club this year.

It’s why I applaud the likes of Buckley, committed to the whole cause.

The league is crying out for footballers that commit to playing the whole season and becoming part of their team culture not just rocking up for five games and then playing finals if the club actually makes it.

Echuca and you seem to hanging their hopes on now three players that between them have played one game for the club this year.

It’s why I applaud the likes of Buckley, committed to the whole cause.

No I'm not hanging my hopes on 3 players at all. I firmly understand that McGlynn, Faulkes and Hore will not play many games . McGlynn will play finals if they make it and the other 2 won't.

McNamara Denton Farrell
Walker Willis Henderson
Kemp Buckley Monahan
Dournoff Valentine Verhay
Allen Byrne McKenna
Morris Gannon McGlynn

Frew Wheeler Sheldon

That would be a reasonable team in September

Totally argee with you Ost, The whole Glenn manton signing with the swans which make a mockey of the GVL. No wonder that most GVL supporters are wart of there short term contracts in the GVL

It prevents other clubs from catching them, as not only are they the dominate club but they are doing it with low points, which means if smart about it they can simply add a couple of 5 pointers every year and maintain their dominance , something that the challengers can't do.
The other impact is like as we saw with Shepp last year and Luke Minogue, a best 22 player can't be played in the biggest games of the year , so they become disguntled and leave.
It also filters down through the club with supporters , committee and other players.
You'd have to walk around with the eyes closed and ears blocked not see the amount of true long term GVFL people including hall of famers, who have lost or are losing interest.
If they've lost interest its not hard to understand why impartial people are also.

If you read my previous posts you will se that I am completely against the new system. I am a Ky fan but I am also a GV fan and want to see it return to its former self with great players across the whole league.
Yes the new system has thrown an advantage to Ky, but if you have a look at there points over the past 3 years they have always been one of the lowest. Yes as you say they could easily go out and grab two 5 pointers each year but they haven't. Instead they concentrate on looking after the local and loyal players that they have got. They lost 5 guns from last year and could easily have replaced them but instead they have backed their local talent in. As I stated, Rochy and Benalla were the in the top 3 when this system came in and were low on points. They have lost players and not replaced them, this is not Kyabrams fault. Thats an issue for those clubs to work out.

I bet Morgan has 6 from Benalla because so many made themselves unavailable. Happens in every league when a club coach is also the interleague coach..

And that is why the league needs a professional coach who knows the comp and is free (mostly) from club bias. Ringo would have been the obvious choice here!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you read my previous posts you will se that I am completely against the new system. I am a Ky fan but I am also a GV fan and want to see it return to its former self with great players across the whole league.
Yes the new system has thrown an advantage to Ky, but if you have a look at there points over the past 3 years they have always been one of the lowest. Yes as you say they could easily go out and grab two 5 pointers each year but they haven't. Instead they concentrate on looking after the local and loyal players that they have got. They lost 5 guns from last year and could easily have replaced them but instead they have backed their local talent in. As I stated, Rochy and Benalla were the in the top 3 when this system came in and were low on points. They have lost players and not replaced them, this is not Kyabrams fault. Thats an issue for those clubs to work out.
Totally agree John dough!
I always thought that if you get beaten by a great team that you go away and aspire to be better than them! It was something that was drummed into us as juniors at Ky!
Kyabrams junior program is paying dividends because of dedicated people. 3 afl, 3 rookie listed players plus others that have played senior vfl since in last 20years that I can think of.
Add to that recruits that want to buy into this club culture and stay for extended periods and you have there current success.
Don’t get bitter, get better!

I'm not saying it is Kyabram's fault jon dough so good luck to the club with a terrific generation of players. I understand and acknowledge their success is about more than the implementation of the points system.

Of that 2015 Rochy GF final side twelve were gone, mostly retired from GV footy by the end of 2016 including three 200+ gamers. So in 2015 the premiership window in relation to 'age' was closing. A town like Rochy simply can't replace that experience and depth of local talent in a year. They are currently playing juniors and working to be competitive. Or to 'get better ...' as tmitchell advocates.

Don't know why so many players left Benalla to play elsewhere.

Perhaps Kyabram as a club are simply better coached, have better junior programs and are a better run club than all the others in the league? A little luck certainly helps, with the additions of Lachie Smith and Mick Mattingly.

The points system/salary cap isn't the reason Kyabram are dominating but it makes changing the current 'status quo' far more problematic. Good for Kyabram. Not so good for the health of the league and general interest in footy.

Totally agree John dough!
I always thought that if you get beaten by a great team that you go away and aspire to be better than them! It was something that was drummed into us as juniors at Ky!
Kyabrams junior program is paying dividends because of dedicated people. 3 afl, 3 rookie listed players plus others that have played senior vfl since in last 20years that I can think of.
Add to that recruits that want to buy into this club culture and stay for extended periods and you have there current success.
Don’t get bitter, get better!
I agree with your comments about Kyabram's junior program and the numbers of quality players who have graduated from it. It is an exceptional number!

So tmitchell how does a team go about 'getting better ..' after being beaten by this great Kyabram side? We have established Kyabram's current generation of players are better than anyone else's so what do they do?

Fly a few in from Darwin? Nope. Recruit five 'A' graders from the EDFL or NFL? Nope.

It's a simple thing to say: 'get better ...'

You really are a fool....your snide little remarks. This forum was so much better without you!
I will reply to you ringo because this comment was out of order.

My comments are not snide at all. You have taken them that way.

This is a GVL forum. In Oxford Dictionary, The Meaning of Forum is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."(Source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/forum). Some Will Argee, Some Won't Argee, So What, Next Topic.

Again, For a minute of you writing that comment on the forum, you could of PM me and I would tell you the same thing. The offer still stands

If I was doing snide comment, I would of said Are you going to the game in Sunbury on Saturday to watch the Interleague, Ringo?". There is a difference.

Enjoy the Weekend, Ringo.

p.s This forum is Better with or without me well glad to have your opinion. I think I add my preview of the GVFL and review of the Tat Game(Win lose or Draw) , which I feel add more but opinions are like a@#holes, everyone got one.

A

This is a GVL forum. In Oxford Dictionary, The Meaning of Forum is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."(Source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/forum). Some Will Argee, Some Won't Argee, So What, Next Topic.

Again, For a minute of you writing that comment on the forum, you could of PM me and I would tell you the same thing. The offer still stands

If I was doing snide comment, I would of said Are you going to the game in Sunbury on Saturday to watch the Interleague, Ringo?". There is a difference.

p.s This forum is Better with or without me well glad to have your opinion. I think I add my preview of the GVFL and review of the Tat Game(Win lose or Draw) , which I feel add more but opinions are like a@#holes, everyone got one.

All you do is pot coaches...Morgan , Tat assistants last year, myself ....what is your go? Did a coach give you a hard time growing up?im sure there are others you have potted along the way! Opinions are fine but ars&holes aren’t welcome here

Jeez oz, for a bloke who hates getting into 'pissing competitions', I would hate to see the state of your boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back