Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Silver how will no season affect Rochy ?
Since Dirty went to the club they seemingly have never been far off the pace and have enjoyed plenty of local regional talent being willing to join .
Not sure how it might effect Rochy as I am not in the inner sanctum Roar. Can assure you they were worried about financials as if footy started up as they normally have their own salary cap = less than the league cap.

In truth Nigel Van der Veer and the committee set it up '89-'91 (Rochy lost two) then Dirty took over and won in '92. He set a culture of recruiting from local leagues:: Harrison's, Auld's, Grays, Perry's et al. As well as pulling in some quality imports. Ringo's old mates in Sparks and Lazzaro were handy. Obviously came for the love of the club! 😎

That attitude has remained. Schmidt and Flaherty were fabulous coaches. I reckon Peter White should have won a flag with the quality he had on the track.

Just quietly I reckon all gv clubs would be pretty stoked to have Craig ednie as their senior coach right, especially when fev and Ricky Dyson are ready to pull on the boots this year for him

Just for what it’s worth. Who would walk across the road to watch Picola league Footy? Asking for a friend....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whatever happened to rochy fc amateur historian Brad Rowe on big footy? He was a massive poster

Not sure how it might effect Rochy as I am not in the inner sanctum Roar. Can assure you they were worried about financials as if footy started up as they normally have their own salary cap = less than the league cap.

In truth Nigel Van der Veer and the committee set it up '89-'91 (Rochy lost two) then Dirty took over and won in '92. He set a culture of recruiting from local leagues:: Harrison's, Auld's, Grays, Perry's et al. As well as pulling in some quality imports. Ringo's old mates in Sparks and Lazzaro were handy. Obviously came for the love of the club! 😎

That attitude has remained. Schmidt and Flaherty were fabulous coaches. I reckon Peter White should have won a flag with the quality he had on the track.

Spot on summary of those years, which we continue to see the legacy of.

Might be an unpopular view, however I feel the last couple of years with White were partially wasted. Great talent on the park, however a game plan involving slow methodical ball movement. Frustrating to watch.

Weeks may have kicked a lot more under Flazz.

Historically a great couch nonetheless, with his record across multiple clubs speaking for itself.

Good skills Onethehill. Kyabram have been blessed with a generation of champions and even as an opposition supporter I respect that. Your mob were running at about 30 points average last year? A bit of space to fill.

Is it likely to upset young blokes in '21 if more ex-players/recruits return? Your two's were ordinary in '19 as fringe players left Kyabram. The KDFL will love it.
We had lined up a few to get the reserves more competitive this year's so will try again next year
Confident of getting a couple back from lanky and tongala
And with uni in Melbourne uncertain about next year
Could draw from there as well
There might be a couple of retirements and a couple he will be happy to run in the reserves
So we are hoping for a couple of spots to open up in the seniors for our younger talent
Most will be 1 pointers

Might be an unpopular view, however I feel the last couple of years with White were partially wasted. Great talent on the park, however a game plan involving slow methodical ball movement. Frustrating to watch.

Historically a great couch nonetheless, with his record across multiple clubs speaking for itself.

looking back on it, the lists at Rochy in 2012,13,14 were amazing. Maybe a sign of how much stronger the league was back then. As well as the game plan which has been spoken about I think chopper struggled to get the most out of his younger players and didn’t trust them to get the job done. Something flaherty flipped on its head when he arrived in 2015. Under chopper 19-21 year old Kids at the time like Marrone, Gledhill, bright, O’Connor, McCarty and d.williams didn’t develop the way they should have. All are basically 150 game players now and will most likely be 200 game players by the time they finish but didn’t start to flourish until flaherty arrived.

Did seem strange to recruit Country Vics most dominant forward but have a game plan that didn’t capitalise on having him...having said that I’ve never coached at that level

looking back on it, the lists at Rochy in 2012,13,14 were amazing. Maybe a sign of how much stronger the league was back then. As well as the game plan which has been spoken about I think chopper struggled to get the most out of his younger players and didn’t trust them to get the job done. Something flaherty flipped on its head when he arrived in 2015. Under chopper 19-21 year old Kids at the time like Marrone, Gledhill, bright, O’Connor, McCarty and d.williams didn’t develop the way they should have. All are basically 150 game players now and will most likely be 200 game players by the time they finish but didn’t start to flourish until flaherty arrived.
While I don’t know the players you are speaking about, you are saying that the league was stronger then, so maybe chopper didn’t see them as quite ready yet. I was lucky enough to play under chopper and found that if you were in the side he had the utmost faith in you to get the job done. You earned your place in the side, if you continually played well in a position it became yours even if that meant dropping a more “senior” player.

Part of the problem was a lack of real leg speed in the middle under White. Brain ran hard but not exactly explosive. Daniel Anderson, Dean Moon and Brady Green were one-paced inside mids or sweepers in Green's case. We didn't exactly have a Jared Bacon style line-breaker! Brendan Hollow was the closest to it for 1 year, but his partner Aaron Ramsay's plodding cancelled that out!

Part of the problem was a lack of real leg speed in the middle under White. Brain ran hard but not exactly explosive. Daniel Anderson, Dean Moon and Brady Green were one-paced inside mids or sweepers in Green's case. We didn't exactly have a Jared Bacon style line-breaker! Brendan Hollow was the closest to it for 1 year, but his partner Aaron Ramsay's plodding cancelled that out!

Add Sam Vale as well.

Losing Perry Oliver around that time didn’t help either. Chopper backed that young local in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Brad loved a statistic almost as much as he hated Tatura!

No idea who he is but he has not been on for a year or so. I think he mentioned in a post he might be in Perth.
Keep it up tongue and other posters It’s great actually talking GVL footy !!! Question tongue the better GVL player Toot Morgan -Ash Watson or Mick Keenan 3 great rochy smalls

Keep it up tongue and other posters It’s great actually talking GVL footy !!! Question tongue the better GVL player Toot Morgan -Ash Watson or Mick Keenan 3 great rochy smalls
Cheers Swoop! I can talk about GV footy forever, and we have not even got to the other sides yet!

Tricky question mate: all are Morrison medalists, but Watson's kicking stands out compared to the other two. He started as a sneaky forward and was a gun off half-back later in his career. He played a few in the AFL whereas the others did not.

Keenan played in some shit sides mid-80's but jeez he could get the footy inside. Played really well in strong GV sides when interleague mattered. He and Shane Loveless were a dynamic duo in GV footy mid-80's as I recall.

Toot was a jet. Quick, tough and those left foot helicopter kicks generally found a target. He played in premierships for United, Golden Square, Rochester and Colbinabbin. What a record!

Different players, but all three are dead set champions of GV footy mate!

Cheers Swoop! I can talk about GV footy forever, and we have not even got to the other sides yet!

Tricky question mate: all are Morrison medalists, but Watson's kicking stands out compared to the other two. He started as a sneaky forward and was a gun off half-back later in his career. He played a few in the AFL whereas the others did not.

Keenan played in some sh*t sides mid-80's but jeez he could get the footy inside. Played really well in strong GV sides when interleague mattered. He and Shane Loveless were a dynamic duo in GV footy mid-80's as I recall.

Toot was a jet. Quick, tough and those left foot helicopter kicks generally found a target. He played in premierships for United, Golden Square, Rochester and Colbinabbin. What a record!

Different players, but all three are dead set champions of GV footy mate!
Yes well said tongue , I’ll stick with Toot mainly because of his consistency don’t think I’ve ever seen him play a poor game but 3 guns

Yes well said tongue , I’ll stick with Toot mainly because of his consistency don’t think I’ve ever seen him play a poor game but 3 guns
Recall Troy Snelson in one of his earliest, if not his first senior games spending the day following and where able getting under the skin of Toot. Funny enough Troy would later become a similar hard as nails midfielder .

Recall Troy Snelson in one of his easily , if his first senior games spending the day following and where able getting under the skin of Toot. Funny enough Troy would later become a similar hard as nails midfielder .
You would have been playing with Snelson then Roar I reckon. Funny how Snelson had a year (I think under Dirty) at Rochy later. Not sure they had a meeting of minds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back