Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Because years ago their junior comp was shut down on them and teams forced into a comp which just so happens to be centred around Wangaratta . Parents and kids get a connection to Wangaratta and Benalla is left with the bugger all numbers .
Happens all across the state with these junior comps .
Benalla’s census data is ‘better’ across all areas than Kyabram.

Some structural changes required to capitalise on the population. This is where we need strong district and premier clubs in and around our major centres. Their junior structure appears to be problematic.

Also the Ovens & King don’t have juniors any more.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.png
    IMG_2197.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2199.png
    IMG_2199.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2198.png
    IMG_2198.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2200.png
    IMG_2200.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 53

Some structural changes required to capitalise on the population. This is where we need strong district and premier clubs in and around our major centres. Their junior structure appears to be problematic.

Fantastic view GrassKat! Love the use of statistics and the census data in general. Really shows how Benalla is struggling and simply unsustainable in comparison to the strong footballing town of Kyabram.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jesus, thanks Chew Man (GrassKat). Those statistics do show a great comparison between to large football towns on different ends of the winning spectrum at the moment.

I do miss the old Benalla teams. That midfield duo or Morgan and Martinello… wow

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some interesting data there but unfortunately Benalla is in a similar situation to that of Maryborough.

Too many clubs, ageing populations and young people leaving town to pursue other things. Since the demise of the old Benalla and District League and junior competitions there has been no focus on improving levels of participation and promoting football in the town.

AFL Victoria ruined football in the area by shutting down these leagues and causing disenchantment and angst amongst the community. I know many people who completely walked away from football as a result of the decisions made and will never return. They lost their clubs and interest in the game. Many of these feeder clubs supplied players to clubs like Benalla as they wanted to try their luck at a higher level.

Also clubs in surrounding areas and leagues are attracting junior talent who then move into senior football with their respective club. This is prevalent in Wangaratta where many Benalla juniors now play. The issue of money is also a factor with clubs in both district and major leagues offering significant amounts of money to attract and retain players, some of which are not worth it considering their ability which is well less than what they are being remunerated.

Troubling times in the area at the moment. When will the governing bodies realise there are real issues in country football. For too long they have turned a ‘blind eye’ to it all.

I do wonder how many people we will need in the future to sustain clubs.

Does a population in the vicinity of 10,000 people have the resources to support a major league team and two district teams?

In the small town that I grew up in, I reckon we had 30 boys in each three-year age group span (12/13/14 and 15/16/17). Of those 30, 25 would have played footy.

Participation in community clubs would be nowhere near that now. You may find similar representation as I experienced in towns like Euroa and Rochester, but I doubt the bigger centres would get 50%.

I do wonder how many people we will need in the future to sustain clubs.

Does a population in the vicinity of 10,000 people have the resources to support a major league team and two district teams?

In the small town that I grew up in, I reckon we had 30 boys in each three-year age group span (12/13/14 and 15/16/17). Of those 30, 25 would have played footy.

Participation in community clubs would be nowhere near that now. You may find similar representation as I experienced in towns like Euroa and Rochester, but I doubt the bigger centres would get 50%.
I think towns like maryborough and Benalla have lost the community pride to represent their town and play footy. I'm not sure kids are thinking I want to be the next martello or Jamie bond. Footy takes up plenty of time, two nights training and a game on Saturday plus travel. When I was growing up, 80% of kids played footy, now there's this elitist feel to footy, where if a kid doesn't make a squad they give up and don't keep playing. Whilst when I.was at school the quamby boys were always looking for potential recruits to make sure they had a thirds side and any kid that had given up, was soon suited up at quamby.

It's also interesting towns like maryborough and Benalla struggle, yet clubs like rochy, kerang, maffra, Leongatha even colac are far smaller in size yet there's still the community pride in their footy club.

Population isn't even a barometer, castlemaine, Drouin, Warragul all have bigger populations then 20 years ago but struggle with footy, as people are moving from inner suburbs and are more interested in things other than footy

Hey guys done a bit of predictor of the last 5 games , some very tough games as most of these sides play each other so this ladder could be very wrong.

Echuca finish on top winning there last 4 out of last 5 also have bye in there

Shep finish 2nd finishing last 5 games 4 wins 1 loss

Roche finish in third winning 3 out of 5 games

Morroopna finish 4th winning 4 out of there last 6 (they play both weeks of split round as there round 9 game didn’t go ahead)

Euroa finish 5th winning 4 out of last 5 games (play most top sides at home except Echuca an mans)

Ky finish in 6th winning 3 out of last 5

Keen to get everyone’s thoughts ? Cheers 👍

Some interesting data there but unfortunately Benalla is in a similar situation to that of Maryborough.

Too many clubs, ageing populations and young people leaving town to pursue other things. Since the demise of the old Benalla and District League and junior competitions there has been no focus on improving levels of participation and promoting football in the town.

AFL Victoria ruined football in the area by shutting down these leagues and causing disenchantment and angst amongst the community. I know many people who completely walked away from football as a result of the decisions made and will never return. They lost their clubs and interest in the game. Many of these feeder clubs supplied players to clubs like Benalla as they wanted to try their luck at a higher level.

Also clubs in surrounding areas and leagues are attracting junior talent who then move into senior football with their respective club. This is prevalent in Wangaratta where many Benalla juniors now play. The issue of money is also a factor with clubs in both district and major leagues offering significant amounts of money to attract and retain players, some of which are not worth it considering their ability which is well less than what they are being remunerated.

Troubling times in the area at the moment. When will the governing bodies realise there are real issues in country football. For too long they have turned a ‘blind eye’ to it all.
When clubs and leagues leave the AFL on mass .

Hey guys done a bit of predictor of the last 5 games , some very tough games as most of these sides play each other so this ladder could be very wrong.

Morroopna finish 4th winning 4 out of there last 6 (they play both weeks of split round as there round 9 game didn’t go ahead)

Euroa finish 5th winning 4 out of last 5 games (play most top sides at home except Echuca an mans)

Couldn't disagree with any of that. The top three are interesting as I know Rochy play both Shepparton and Echuca in coming weeks ... haven't looked to see if Shepparton play Echuca again. It's a race for the top two I reckon!

Pretty good but I feel like Mansfield and the swans could cause some changes to this along the way also.

Looking at Mooroopna draw they as much of a chance to only win 1 of there last 6 as much as they are to win 4-5 of them.
I think these last few weeks could get pretty exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't disagree with any of that. The top three are interesting as I know Rochy play both Shepparton and Echuca in coming weeks ... haven't looked to see if Shepparton play Echuca again. It's a race for the top two I reckon!
Shepp's last 5 are Rochy (a), Seymour (h), Euroa (a), bye, Swans (h) and Ky (a)

Why race for second though Silver.. with the stupid GV finals layout you’d rather finish 3rd.

Play 6th and get through to the better side of the finals layour

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back