Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Because years ago their junior comp was shut down on them and teams forced into a comp which just so happens to be centred around Wangaratta . Parents and kids get a connection to Wangaratta and Benalla is left with the bugger all numbers .
Happens all across the state with these junior comps .
No high school , Shepp Juniors increasing grades and GVL giving up on having 2 grades of juniors .

Just get rid of junior only competitions .

Can you clarify please :

Firstly, you have said above and on several occasions IIRC that Benalla loosing its junior comp has been a huge factor in their decrease in competitiveness,
Then
You criticised GVFL for dropping two grades of juniors above which IIRC you were opposed to them having from the outset,

and are now saying to get rid of junior only competitions?

I am confused as these comments sound contradictory.
Or are junior competitions beneficial in certain regions but maybe not your backyard?

Can you outline what structures you feel should operate to assist GVFL and surrounding district leagues to maintain both adequate quality and quantity of players throughout all grades.

Is it a case of senior clubs only being permitted to have one junior side in each age group with their junior club or should they not have juniors aligned to clubs of major leagues??
The thing is they say the broader the base the stronger the peak, and numbers always seem to decrease from juniors through to open age.

Is it set agreements, alliances or arrangements between clubs in the major league and specified lower level league clubs in the region? Maybe with some type of ‘free’ movement between them.

IMO with your depth of experience knowledge and expertise, you are well positioned to put forward suggestions which could benefit all footy in the region, for the betterment of everyone as a whole football community. Surely it’s time clubs and leagues stopped squabbling between themselves and their different administration systems and unite for the future of strong football both locally and as a whole.

league medal candidates? I've given it my best go, probably missing a few.

Benalla's Welsh
Echuca's McHale
Euroa's Hayes not enough games, maybe Pendlebury.
Kyabram's Herbert, Ogden and Depasqaule all right up there.
Mansfields' Mahoney brothers are always strong with Howes lurking.
Mooroopna's McCarthy.
Rochester's Trewhella.
Seymour's Beattie & Mason but haven't won enough games for max votes.
Bear's Decicco & Smith.
Swan's Kovacekic in the ruck. Big unit who controls games.
United's Cucinotta.
Tatura's Elliot or B.Ryan from a stellar front half of year.

I am liking one of bears boys as my tip!
Keelin Betson has been Mooroopna’s best player this season. It will be interesting to see if the umps recognise him. I’d say he’d win Mooroopna’s bnf if the count was today. Undersized ruck who gives everything and is rarely beaten. Heart and soul player.

Holland wins easily
Whatched Shepp 4 times bog in 2 and close in the other2 Has had good players around him taking votes but in with a big chance After his cox medal effort in their winning GF against Ky went to the picola league where he just dominated winning the league medal and runner up ( I think) plus a couple of club best and fairest ,great fella to go with it

Not sure how playing district football really matters..... why does it matter what level you've played or come from..... have you watched him? He has been incredible this year, will be huge in shepps push come September.
Was a bit of tongue in cheek comment . Blokes a superstar on and off the field .

Can you clarify please :

Firstly, you have said above and on several occasions IIRC that Benalla loosing its junior comp has been a huge factor in their decrease in competitiveness,
Benalla losing their junior comp coincided with their juniors being pushed into and exposed to Wangaratta .

Then
You criticised GVFL for dropping two grades of juniors above which IIRC you were opposed to them having from the outset,
Was supportive of GVL having two junior grades of football , issue was shepp district juniors then changed their age groups which undermined GVL’s attempt to have 2x junior sides as well as adding extra teams that were trying to drag from a already depleted pool of players .
and are now saying to get rid of junior only competitions ?
Junior comps drag kids into them , coffee mums become accustom to just turning up dropping their kids and running, which affects volunteer numbers . Because they are often surrounded around high schools , kids who would otherwise play with their district club are drawn into these comps . What ends up happening is there are 4-5 x the amount of kids , who develop a dream to play at say Shepp Bears . Reality hits for many of them when they 15-16 and they drop out of footy.
I am confused as these comments sound contradictory.
Or are junior competitions beneficial in certain regions but maybe not your backyard?
I don’t think they are beneficial at all in regions where they drag kids from district clubs . ( which is most )
Can you outline what structures you feel should operate to assist GVFL and surrounding district leagues to maintain both adequate quality and quantity of players throughout all grades.
GVL 16 , 18 , reserve , senior , everyone else u14 and u17 , reserve , senior.
Is it a case of senior clubs only being permitted to have one junior side in each age group with their junior club or should they not have juniors aligned to clubs of major leagues??
The thing is they say the broader the base the stronger the peak, and numbers always seem to decrease from juniors through to open age.

Is it set agreements, alliances or arrangements between clubs in the major league and specified lower level league clubs in the region? Maybe with some type of ‘free’ movement between them.
❤️ have advocated for years
IMO with your depth of experience knowledge and expertise, you are well positioned to put forward suggestions which could benefit all footy in the region, for the betterment of everyone as a whole football community. Surely it’s time clubs and leagues stopped squabbling between themselves and their different administration systems and unite for the future of strong football both locally and as a whole.
Most community football people’s views are ignored as they have a focus on community football , with the AFL competition not as the priority .
What the AFL needs to realise is that prolonged strength at AFL competition level is achieved by having a strong foundation , which is community football.

Last edited:
Keelin Betson has been Mooroopna’s best player this season. It will be interesting to see if the umps recognise him. I’d say he’d win Mooroopna’s bnf if the count was today. Undersized ruck who gives everything and is rarely beaten. Heart and soul player.

Couldn’t agree more, has been one of, if not the Cats’ most consistent players over the last three seasons. 33 disposals (32 contested) on the weekend - plays his best footy as a genuine midfielder, but has that effect once the ball hits the deck from the ruck anyway - Lamont’s swisse army knife.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will be again looking forward to the Swans vs Cats game this weekend. In the past few seasons the swans or shall I say 'Cygnets' have given the cats a run for their money. Probably a smokie for GOTR for mine particularly with MRP growing list of 'outs'. Still expecting MRP to win to continue to pressure for the prized possession of finishing third in our uncommon system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally Tat announced the resigning believe chalky auld will be announced soon aswell, not sure how much research the board have done im told a lot of the younger guys don’t like him an senior recruits already talking bout leaving seeing his been reappointed, Penrith out the door, ment too be going too moama, don’t be surprised if by years end barnard is out the door as I’m hearing since announced too the playing group over the weekend club shocked at players reaction

Finally Tat announced the resigning believe chalky auld will be announced soon aswell, not sure how much research the board have done im told a lot of the younger guys don’t like him an senior recruits already talking bout leaving seeing his been reappointed, Penrith out the door, ment too be going too moama, don’t be surprised if by years end barnard is out the door as I’m hearing since announced too the playing group over the weekend club shocked at players reaction
Isn't Auld head of recruiting??

That's just laughable True-blue, I think the board has done a bit more "research "than you old buddy.

Agreed. A couple of the blokes I spoke to were very surprised

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back