Goulburn Valley FL - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL Thread (part 2)

Interesting line up for Seymour. It's great to see the young blokes in there. Does anyone know how many and who, are still to come back to the senior side?

Interesting line up for Seymour. It's great to see the young blokes in there. Does anyone know how many and who, are still to come back to the senior side?

Yeah great to see the youngsters given every opportunity. Seymour, Echuca , Shepparton and Kyabram to name a few are certainly giving quality u/18 players a chance to step up

Top-six spot on line
Euroa can jump into the top six for the first time since round six if it can defeat third-placed Rochester at Rochester tomorrow.
David Putamorsi's inconsistent Magpies (seventh, 5-6) have won their past two Goulburn Valley Football League matches but were disappointing in their 26-point loss against Rochester in round one.
``They're travelling a lot better than us at the moment,'' Putamorsi said.
``Their smaller players hurt us with their run and carry last time and then they've got Elliot Bowen and `Tank' McPhee up forward.
``We've got to win the ball out of the middle because that's an area we've been struggling in, and supply the ball to our forwards with a bit more direction.''
Ruckman Damon Clarke has missed Euroa's last three games with a leg injury and is a chance to return, but with the possibility of wet weather Putamorsi said he might rest him for one more week.
Interleague representative Ben Deuscher is likely to return for Rochester after being rested last week during its 129-point trouncing of Tatura; he had carried a sore calf the previous couple of games but looked on from the sidelines with coach Daniel Schmidt (knee) as Anthony McPhee kicked 10 goals in his 400th senior game.
Chris McCarty also returned to the training track for the first time since arriving home from an overseas holiday. He is still at least another week away from playing.
Schmidt said Elliot Bowen ``will be better for the run'' after playing his first game since injuring his quadricep in the opening minutes of GV's opening match of the interleague carnival.
``Scott Hann and Sam O'Brien both pulled up fine from their first games back last week as well, so we're getting close to full strength,'' Schmidt said.
``The boys have been pretty good about not talking about finals at this stage of the season ... we're just worrying about where we want to finish on the ladder.''

Saint is thirsty for success
You will be hard-pressed to find a Benalla player more determined to end its senior premiership drought than Andy Polwarth.
The 27-year-old _ who will play his 154th game for Benalla against Seymour tomorrow _ missed its last grand final appearance against the Lions in 2006.
``I broke my collarbone twice that year and after I did it the first time I came back a bit early and broke it again in the qualifying final,'' Polwarth said.
``I trained the Thursday before the grand final, had my shoulder strapped and was on the painkillers, but lasted about 20 minutes so I had to be water-boy for the game, which was disappointing.''
The Saints last tasted grand final glory in 1973 when in the Ovens and Murray league they defeated Albury by seven points.
``A lot of blokes have put in a lot of hard work over the years, and our supporters that come every week to watch us; it would be nice to win one because it's been a long time,'' Polwarth said.
Polwarth played in an under-18 premiership with Benalla in 1998 after making his senior debut earlier that year.
A number of players in that premiership side are current senior players with the Saints, and Polwarth said the reason he had never considered leaving the club was because of the strong contingent of local players in the senior side.
``I played with `Macca' (Mark Mackenzie) the year before in the thirds, and Shayne McKean played in the premiership side and is the senior captain now,'' Polwarth said.
``Benalla's been driven for the last 10 years by having a side with mainly local stock and about three or four recruits.
``We're all together from December until September, so you spend a fair bit of time with each other and it's good because we're all locals and close mates.''
Benalla endured a horrid start to this season, dropping its first seven games to all but end its finals hopes in Tim Symes' first year as coach.
Its first win came against United in Polwarth's 150th game and it won its next two to restore some confidence.
Jake Anderson kicked a career-best eight goals for Seymour against United last week and Brendan Liddell and Brent Colbert continued their superb form.

Bears to address defence's shortcomings
Shepparton's struggle against key forwards looms once again as a major obstacle as the Bears prepare to face Matt Forys and Shepparton United in Goulburn Valley Football League on Sunday.
United needs victory to keep its finals hopes alive as it starts the round three games behind sixth-placed Mansfield, while Shepparton is a game further back in 11th.
Forys, who has averaged four goals a game against Shepparton since 2005, snared five goals and was the standout forward when the Demons defeated the Bears by 30 points in round one.
Euroa's Mark Jansz with 12 goals and Kyabram's Balraj Singh with 10 have taken control against the Bears' backline since.
Shepparton coach Richard Warburton said his defence was well aware of its size disadvantage against the league's target men, saying midfield pressure would be the key to stifling supply to Forys.
``We know where we're at against key forwards, and being a bit undersized is the problem,'' Warburton said.
``Against Kyabram last week there were some performances that weren't good enough, and we'll look at players from the under-18s to come in.''
Warburton said United's close run for three quarters against Seymour last week had to be respected.
``We know they can take the ball end-to-end from kick-ins, so accountability will be a big focus,'' he said.
United coach Brad Hazelman said there were no secrets about his team's forward focus on Forys.
``He'll play a few different positions around the forward line,'' Hazelman said.
``All our players have come up from last week without any injuries or niggles and it's one of the first times we can say that this season.''

Swans are keen to shore up their position
Shepparton Swans has momentum to maintain as it takes on Tatura in Goulburn Valley Football League tomorrow.
The Swans bounced back to form against Echuca two weeks ago to hold fourth place with seven wins and four losses, ahead of the Murray Bombers by less than one per cent and one game ahead of Mansfield.
While winless Tatura represents a gettable game on paper, the Swans will treat the game as a must-win in their pursuit of a top-three berth.
Rob Montgomery is set to return to the Swans' line-up after a month out with a hamstring injury, while Jesse Finnen will head back to the Murray Bushrangers along with Dash Barolli.
Swans coach Peter White said his team had risen to the occasion in the win against Echuca by doing the things it had been lacking in previous losses to Mansfield and Seymour.
``We worked hard off the ball and it made the difference,'' White said.
``What I expect is that we back that performance up and do it again.''
The Swans' previous meeting with Tatura in round one bore 29 goals and a 147-point win.
Shane Mulladad remains the Bulldogs' hope, his 13 goals this season making him Tatura's top scorer.
``He played a bit off the half-back flank last week, so who takes Mulladad depends on where he plays,'' White said.

Season hinges on outcome
Kyabram and Mansfield face off in what could be a season-defining Goulburn Valley Football League match tomorrow.
The improving Bombers (eighth, 5-6) could find themselves in the top six for the first time this season with a victory, while Mansfield (sixth, 6-5) could fall out of the top bracket with a loss.
With so much to play for, both coaches are well aware of the importance of the match.
``It certainly is a massive game,'' Mansfield coach Christian Thomson said.
``Both teams need to win to keep the dream alive.''
Kyabram coach David Williams is pleased with the way his team has been playing in recent weeks and particularly its four-quarter effort in downing Shepparton last week by 92 points.
``To play four quarters like that at home was great and we're back at home again,'' he said.
``We played some good footy against Mansfield (in round one). They kicked the last four goals of the game and that was how the margin ended up.''
Finding consistency is one thing the Bombers need to do. While their form has no doubt improved, the need to string together consecutive victories is now becoming vital.
``We have not won away from home and we have not won two in a row this year, so it's something we've talked about,'' Williams said.
Instrumental forward David Newman and Jethro Calma-Holt are both in contention to return for Kyabram, which looks likely to miss Justin Chambers (hamstring) and Brad Edwards (ribs).
Thomson said the Eagles had done a lot of soul-searching since last week's 110-point loss to Mooroopna, and were keen to bounce back strongly.
``We've been very inconsistent on the road,'' he said.
``Traditionally for the past six years we've really enjoyed travelling.''

Does anyone know if Jeff Anderson or Tim O'Keefe will be back for Seymour this year?

We should expect to see "Joffa" Anderson back in action for the lions within the next 3-4 weeks as he has been involved in full training for a couple of weeks now. Tim O'Keefe has pencilled in one qualifying game and should no doubt take care of the other one in the very near future,hope this filled in the blanks for ya' mate :thumbsu::D.

We should expect to see "Joffa" Anderson back in action for the lions within the next 3-4 weeks as he has been involved in full training for a couple of weeks now. Tim O'Keefe has pencilled in one qualifying game and should no doubt take care of the other one in the very near future,hope this filled in the blanks for ya' mate :thumbsu::D.

G'day champ, i reckon i seen Tiimmy O'Keefe on crutches the other day. What type of ailment has he got now? Poor bugger must have missed more games than he's played at the ripe old age of 22!

Hey guys don't forget to Listen in over the weekend on FM 98.5 :thumbsu:

GVFL Footy Show

Saturday - 8:30am

Graeme McCartney
Graeme Burns
Ray 'Daffy' Lamaro
Trevor Byers
John 'JR' Ryan

Saturday - LIVE from 1pm-5pm. Kyabram vs. Mansfield @ Kyabram

Sunday - LIVE from 1:30pm-5pm. Shepparton United vs. Shepparton Bears @ Deakin Reserve

Cheers guys :thumbsu:

Well Head, you made it quite clear that your perception of a forward is "prissy". Yet one of your favorite players is Andrew Knowles, a Centre half forward! And I hope that more than a couple of your premiership Euroa forwards have more of your respect than prissy". It's about time that you stayed above this level of criticism.

G'day champ, i reckon i seen Tiimmy O'Keefe on crutches the other day. What type of ailment has he got now? Poor bugger must have missed more games than he's played at the ripe old age of 22!

Bugger me side street moggie :eek:. I can only hope that you were seeing things as we sure could do with him in the latter stages of the season. Will see you up at Benalla tomorrow in what could be a cracker of a contest ;).

Well Head, you made it quite clear that your perception of a forward is "prissy". Yet one of your favorite players is Andrew Knowles, a Centre half forward! And I hope that more than a couple of your premiership Euroa forwards have more of your respect than prissy". It's about time that you stayed above this level of criticism.
It was a joke you nutter.

Round 12

Mooroopna 18.17 (125) defeated Echuca 9.6 (60)
Kyabram 12.8 (80) defeated Mansfield 5.11 (41)
Seymour 10.13 (73) defeated Benalla 6.6 (42)
Rochester 24.9 (153) defeated Euroa 16.8 (104)
Shepparton Swans 19.10 (124) defeated Tatura 2.6 (18)
Shepparton United v Shepparton (played tomorrow)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 12

Mooroopna 18.17 (125) defeated Echuca 9.6 (60)
Kyabram 12.8 (80) defeated Mansfield 5.11 (41)
Seymour 10.13 (73) defeated Benalla 6.6 (42)
Rochester 24.9 (153) defeated Euroa 16.8 (104)
Shepparton Swans 19.10 (124) defeated Tatura 2.6 (18)
Shepparton United v Shepparton (played tomorrow)

The Ky boys get up once again. I enjoy checking the scores and seeing positive results. Can they be a threat at all come finals time?

on-ballers will have to sharpen up their reading of the hit-outs because bernie jones bossed the ruck today and despite being held goalless in the first half mansfield won the clearances and centre breaks.

to coventry's credit he outrucked spykers comprehensively when jones was off the ground.

The Ky boys get up once again. I enjoy checking the scores and seeing positive results. Can they be a threat at all come finals time?

How did the new bloke O'Sullivan go? Ky would be a dangerous side for anyone to play, I doubt whether they could win it, but definately have the ability to make it and maybe even win a final.

How did the new bloke O'Sullivan go? Ky would be a dangerous side for anyone to play, I doubt whether they could win it, but definately have the ability to make it and maybe even win a final.

Has Ky got some good players this year or is Dirty coaching really well (or both?). Ky supporters must be happy with the turn around this year.

Has Ky got some good players this year or is Dirty coaching really well (or both?). Ky supporters must be happy with the turn around this year.

They've recruited alot of new players: Singh, Atkins, Withers, O'Sullivan, Calma-Holt, Dave Newman, Scott McCormick, Matt Deledio and Scott Hanson from last year so they've picked up alot. I would say they'd be reasonably happy at the moment, they would be very disappointed with these recruits to miss out on finals, at the moment they are 6th. They've lost games easily against other top 6 sides, so are really yet to prove themselves when the pressures on against quality opposition. However being a youngish side they look to be on the improve and will take some beating in finals if they make it? Their best 6-8 players are as good as anyones.

They've recruited alot of new players: Singh, Atkins, Withers, O'Sullivan, Calma-Holt, Dave Newman, Scott McCormick, Matt Deledio and Scott Hanson from last year so they've picked up alot. I would say they'd be reasonably happy at the moment, they would be very disappointed with these recruits to miss out on finals, at the moment they are 6th. They've lost games easily against other top 6 sides, so are really yet to prove themselves when the pressures on against quality opposition. However being a youngish side they look to be on the improve and will take some beating in finals if they make it? Their best 6-8 players are as good as anyones.

I wouldn't say they have recruited heavily mate, only 5 blokes in the team who aren't local. The majority of blokes that they have picked up have been locals returning to the club. The turn around has been great for the club and I'm sure they will be aiming for finals but I don't think they would be overly dissipointed if they didn't make it seeing they only one two games last year. The reserves being in the top 6 is probably more of a significant result as they have really struggled in the past 3 years for numbers and you could count there wins in that time on one hand.
If they stay injury free and get Atkins back they will be dangerous.

I wouldn't say they have recruited heavily mate, only 5 blokes in the team who aren't local. The majority of blokes that they have picked up have been locals returning to the club. The turn around has been great for the club and I'm sure they will be aiming for finals but I don't think they would be overly dissipointed if they didn't make it seeing they only one two games last year. The reserves being in the top 6 is probably more of a significant result as they have really struggled in the past 3 years for numbers and you could count there wins in that time on one hand.
If they stay injury free and get Atkins back they will be dangerous.

I reckon they would be very disappointed if they didn't make it, maybe your playing it down a bit because the pressure of expectation might be too much for a side that hasn't been up there for a while. I know it would be considered a massive jump from 2 wins to finals, but with the players they've picked up, whether they are new recruits or locals returning, I think finals is a must. I'm not having a go at Ky for having a crack, it's great, clubs have to do that.

I reckon they would be very disappointed if they didn't make it, maybe your playing it down a bit because the pressure of expectation might be too much for a side that hasn't been up there for a while. I know it would be considered a massive jump from 2 wins to finals, but with the players they've picked up, whether they are new recruits or locals returning, I think finals is a must. I'm not having a go at Ky for having a crack, it's great, clubs have to do that.

I see where you are coming from, finals would definitely be the goal but to say they would be very dissipointed is basically saying that the season is a failure. I would have thought that this year is a stepping stone and making finals would be a bonus in that process. Having said that I think they are good enough to make it.
There is a lot of kids in there team and if they can keep them all together, you will see Ky in the finals over the next 4 or 5 years.

Was at the Ky game on Saturday, and Ky were good but Mansfield were very ordinary to say the least.

14 minutes into the 3rd QTR B4 they got their first goal, they kicked 10 straight behinds before that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back