Grand Final 2004 = Carefactor 0%!

Remove this Banner Ad

are you saying interstate supporters dont have the same passion as the Victorian clubs? You obviously are an idiot VANDA

VANDA said:
Thierry Henry said:
Vanda Port Adelaide are a traditional club if you new anything about football history you would know that.

QUOTE]

Sorry i thought Port Power made the Grand Final. :rolleyes:

Auctually its Port Adelaide

AKA the Power

NOT PORT POWER. Eddie gets it wrong.

When the blue and red Port Adelaide heritage guernsey was unveiled this year, no mention was made of the fact the AFL and the club were passing up a wonderful chance to send an AFL team out on the ground clad in pink.

Port was sporting an outfit composed of a pink cap, socks and jumper, worn with white shorts, in 1878, a good five years before the red and blue colour scheme was brought in. Picture Byron Pickett running out looking like a soloist in Swan Lake.

By 1902, however, Port had adopted black and white stripes and the Magpies nickname, and the rest is history. Over 134 years, the club has won 36 SANFL premierships, including six in a row during the 1950s, making it possibly the most successful senior football club in Australia.

Much has been made of Port's need to at least reach the grand final in order to shrug off the choker tag. The euphoric reaction of the players to Friday night's heart-stopping win over St Kilda was proof of that.

But the three successive minor premierships and subsequent self-destruction are but a brief chapter in the club's story. To the Power faithful, a premiership would be a reinforcement of Port Adelaide's exalted place in Australian football history.

To the famously parochial and devoted Power people, there is no question that, when Port entered the AFL, it brought with it the glory accumulated by the Port Adelaide Magpies under the stewardship of, among others, Fos Williams, father of Power coach Mark, and John Cahill.

Cahill, the Power's first coach, won seven out of nine SANFL flags between 1988 and 1996 in charge of the Magpies before stepping aside to take over the new AFL side.

Port great Russell Ebert, four-time winner of the Magarey Medal (the SANFL's equivalent of the Brownlow) and father of present Power player Brett, said it was wrong to think of the Power and the Magpies as two separate clubs, despite the fact Port Adelaide continues to field a team in the SANFL.

"For me, personally, it's an extension of that long history. We've played in many, many grand finals, we've been successful in them and this is an extension of that proud history and tradition and success now in the premier competition in Australia," Ebert said.

"It just staggers me that people don't understand that. They want to bring in all question marks, but it's the Port Adelaide Football Club. It's an extension of the proud history of the Port Adelaide Football Club."

According to Collingwood skipper Nathan Buckley, a look around AAMI Stadium on game day tells you Ebert is right. The Brownlow medallist spent his formative years in the SANFL with Port, winning the Magarey, club best and fairest and Jack Oatey Medal (SANFL grand final best on ground) all in 1992.

"The same guys that followed the Magpies are sitting in the front row and you see them on TV supporting the Port Power," Buckley said.

"The group I'm talking about are the diehards. They're a family that sits just as you come out of the race. Every Port Power game, they're exactly where they sat to watch Port Adelaide probably 15 years before that.

"I'm sure that with the possible premiership, definitely the fact that they've made the grand final, I think that it will tie into the tradition of the club pre-AFL days. It will just add to the culture and the experience that the place has provided over the journey."

Any Victorian footy fan who has sat through a game at AAMI Stadium can tell you the Port fans are fanatical, although less complimentary adjectives have been used to describe their devotion to the cause.

The support base of the old and new incarnations of the club is traditionally working class and originally hailed from suburbs on the peninsula that juts out to the north and west of the port.

According to football commentator and journalist Dwayne Russell, a former Port Magpies and Geelong player, these are two of the main reasons for Port fans' famously fierce pride.

"When you grow up in the Port, it's in your blood," he said. "It's like a little country in itself down there. It's like taking a bloke out of Ireland and saying just because he lives in Australia he's not Irish. You're still Irish.

"You've probably got 50 per cent of Adelaide that have never been to the Port. There's nothing down there for them to go to. It's just a suburban area where those people alone live and work. That club is owned by everybody who's ever worked a callus on their hand in Port Adelaide in general."

It is no longer possible, with the Power's accession to the AFL and the subsequent explosion of support within South Australia, to so narrowly define the club's fan base, but there is a definite continuity.

Ebert said there was a feeling of "expectation, achievement, relief, excitement" among Port fans, players and officials in the lead-up to what is undoubtedly the biggest game in the club's celebrated history.

But he said there was also a sense of responsibility, of the need to do justice to the club's tradition.

THE PORT FILE
Port Adelaide in the SANFL (1877-96)
34 premierships
34 seconds
24 thirds
8 fourths
6 fifths
5 sixths
3 sevenths

Australian champions: 1890, 1910, 1913, 1914

PREMIERSHIPS
1884 1890 1897 1903 1906 1910 1913 1914 1921 1928 1936 1937 1939 1951 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1962 1963 1965 1977 1979 1980 1981 1988 1989 1990 1992 1994 1995 1996

Nice Article

It will be a cracker.

I can't wait.

moses said:
are you saying interstate supporters dont have the same passion as the Victorian clubs? You obviously are an idiot VANDA

Friday night was a great eg of passion. The crowd was the loudest ive ever heared. The players all mentioned the crowd back at Alberton when i spoke to a few of them.

Alberton was rocking.

As a football fan I can honestly admit, that it really is a shocking match-up this year.

Reminds me of 1978 when Hawthorn and North Melbourne who had met twice in each finals series in 1974, 75, 76, 77 and 78 (10 finals in total) met yet again in the '78 Grand Final and the crowd was only 101,000 at a time when the capacity of the MCG was well over 112,000.

It's nothing to do with the fact that both are non-Victorian teams either. Hell, if it was, say, Sydney vs Fremantle, that would be an interesting, enticing match-up for everyone.

But instead we have two teams who, between them, havn't fallen below third on the ladder since 2001. There is no novelty about them clashing in a big game, and there is no genuine empathy with either side. It really is a terrible match-up club wise, which hopefully will be saved by a great game, and a great contest.

Thierry Henry said:
Auctually its Port Adelaide

AKA the Power

NOT PORT POWER. Eddie gets it wrong.

When the blue and red Port Adelaide heritage guernsey was unveiled this year, no mention was made of the fact the AFL and the club were passing up a wonderful chance to send an AFL team out on the ground clad in pink.

Port was sporting an outfit composed of a pink cap, socks and jumper, worn with white shorts, in 1878, a good five years before the red and blue colour scheme was brought in. Picture Byron Pickett running out looking like a soloist in Swan Lake.

By 1902, however, Port had adopted black and white stripes and the Magpies nickname, and the rest is history. Over 134 years, the club has won 36 SANFL premierships, including six in a row during the 1950s, making it possibly the most successful senior football club in Australia.

Much has been made of Port's need to at least reach the grand final in order to shrug off the choker tag. The euphoric reaction of the players to Friday night's heart-stopping win over St Kilda was proof of that.

But the three successive minor premierships and subsequent self-destruction are but a brief chapter in the club's story. To the Power faithful, a premiership would be a reinforcement of Port Adelaide's exalted place in Australian football history.

To the famously parochial and devoted Power people, there is no question that, when Port entered the AFL, it brought with it the glory accumulated by the Port Adelaide Magpies under the stewardship of, among others, Fos Williams, father of Power coach Mark, and John Cahill.

Cahill, the Power's first coach, won seven out of nine SANFL flags between 1988 and 1996 in charge of the Magpies before stepping aside to take over the new AFL side.

Port great Russell Ebert, four-time winner of the Magarey Medal (the SANFL's equivalent of the Brownlow) and father of present Power player Brett, said it was wrong to think of the Power and the Magpies as two separate clubs, despite the fact Port Adelaide continues to field a team in the SANFL.

"For me, personally, it's an extension of that long history. We've played in many, many grand finals, we've been successful in them and this is an extension of that proud history and tradition and success now in the premier competition in Australia," Ebert said.

"It just staggers me that people don't understand that. They want to bring in all question marks, but it's the Port Adelaide Football Club. It's an extension of the proud history of the Port Adelaide Football Club."

According to Collingwood skipper Nathan Buckley, a look around AAMI Stadium on game day tells you Ebert is right. The Brownlow medallist spent his formative years in the SANFL with Port, winning the Magarey, club best and fairest and Jack Oatey Medal (SANFL grand final best on ground) all in 1992.

"The same guys that followed the Magpies are sitting in the front row and you see them on TV supporting the Port Power," Buckley said.

"The group I'm talking about are the diehards. They're a family that sits just as you come out of the race. Every Port Power game, they're exactly where they sat to watch Port Adelaide probably 15 years before that.

"I'm sure that with the possible premiership, definitely the fact that they've made the grand final, I think that it will tie into the tradition of the club pre-AFL days. It will just add to the culture and the experience that the place has provided over the journey."

Any Victorian footy fan who has sat through a game at AAMI Stadium can tell you the Port fans are fanatical, although less complimentary adjectives have been used to describe their devotion to the cause.

The support base of the old and new incarnations of the club is traditionally working class and originally hailed from suburbs on the peninsula that juts out to the north and west of the port.

According to football commentator and journalist Dwayne Russell, a former Port Magpies and Geelong player, these are two of the main reasons for Port fans' famously fierce pride.

"When you grow up in the Port, it's in your blood," he said. "It's like a little country in itself down there. It's like taking a bloke out of Ireland and saying just because he lives in Australia he's not Irish. You're still Irish.

"You've probably got 50 per cent of Adelaide that have never been to the Port. There's nothing down there for them to go to. It's just a suburban area where those people alone live and work. That club is owned by everybody who's ever worked a callus on their hand in Port Adelaide in general."

It is no longer possible, with the Power's accession to the AFL and the subsequent explosion of support within South Australia, to so narrowly define the club's fan base, but there is a definite continuity.

Ebert said there was a feeling of "expectation, achievement, relief, excitement" among Port fans, players and officials in the lead-up to what is undoubtedly the biggest game in the club's celebrated history.

But he said there was also a sense of responsibility, of the need to do justice to the club's tradition.

THE PORT FILE
Port Adelaide in the SANFL (1877-96)
34 premierships
34 seconds
24 thirds
8 fourths
6 fifths
5 sixths
3 sevenths

Australian champions: 1890, 1910, 1913, 1914

PREMIERSHIPS
1884 1890 1897 1903 1906 1910 1913 1914 1921 1928 1936 1937 1939 1951 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1962 1963 1965 1977 1979 1980 1981 1988 1989 1990 1992 1994 1995 1996

Nice Article

can a carefactor be less than zero? :rolleyes:

am not interested in the history of a club in a minor competition.

the team running out for the Grand Final next week is NOT Port Adelaide Magpies it is the Port Power!

Now list all their flags for me.

Thierry Henry said:
Its not Port Power its Port Adelaide AKA the power.

Premierships 1 2004.

So who's that club still running around in the SANFL?

Let me guess...................the Power AKA the Magpies? :rolleyes:

and btw......................you're dreamin!

VANDA said:
Boring, boring, boring two make-believe clubs with an outcome that holds as much interest as the TACky Cup!

bring on the cricket & the spring carnival!

Could have been worse, like teams that make the grand final but don't deserve to be there, ie pies, dons.

Go Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But if they lose, I have no problem with the cup going to SA.

shacka said:
The GF should be a ball-tearer. The two best sides this year. The two best sides of the last 3 years.

Anyone who says they don't care has no business subscribing to a football forum.

Wrong. People who don't care, presumabely don't barrack for the teams. I don't care, but I am hoping for a good game.

Also, the fact that the the top two teams are in it, doesn't make it a more enticing match-up. The best GF of the last few years was the 2002 play-off, and that featured a Collingowod side who won only 13 H&A games.

If anything, having two sides in it who havn't dropped below third on the ladder for the last four years, gives the game a sense of "sameness." There is no fairytale team.

The AFL badly needs a fairytale that the NRL Grand Final has provided several tiems, but instead we get the opposite year after year. One of these days the AFL will get their dream "hero vs villian" fairytale Grand Final, but not this year. We have "villain vs villian", and to make matters worse, both villians have been towards the top of the ladder for four years, meaning we have all become used to the same set of colours winning football games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HEROES - LIONS

VILLAINS (losers) - Pies , Dons

I have never understood if a Vic team can claim there VFL GFs and the VFL is still running why can't non Vic clubs claim there non AFL GFs. We are playing in a competition called the AFL which is a separate competition to the VFL as the VFL is still running. Could it be that the majority of Victorians are that worried that there home of football garbage that they shovel out in large heaps is exactly that garbage.

CrzyIvan said:
HEROES - LIONS

VILLAINS (losers) - Pies , Dons

I have never understood if a Vic team can claim there VFL GFs and the VFL is still running why can't non Vic clubs claim there non AFL GFs. We are playing in a competition called the AFL which is a separate competition to the VFL as the VFL is still running. Could it be that the majority of Victorians are that worried that there home of football garbage that they shovel out in large heaps is exactly that garbage.

*sigh*

The current competition began in 1897. Yes, it was an all Victorian competition then, and since then, non-Victorian teams have been added, but it is still, historically the same competition, simply because no new league was formed.

When the name change to "AFL" happened in 1990, no new league was formed. the 14 clubs at the time, didn't jump ship and join a brand new league. The same league just continued, with the name change to reflect the nationality of the competition, hence it's the same league.

My club, Essendon has won 16 flags in this competition. I have never claimed that all 16 meant we were Australian champions, or whatever, but we have won this competition (which started in 1897) 16 times, irrespective of the standard and nationality of that competition.

The AFL is not separate at all to the old VFL. It is the same league, with teams added and a name change to reflect the nationality of the league. No new legaue was formed and the history of this league and the clubs that inhabit it continiues from 1897 onwards.... and alwyas will, until such time as a breakway legaue is formed, which, of course, will never happen.

Now there isnt a Victorian team in the GF, i just hope to see Brisbane equal the Pies record.

Dont think it will be close though, the Lions will win by 30+

VANDA said:
Boring, boring, boring two make-believe clubs with an outcome that holds as much interest as the TACky Cup!

bring on the cricket & the spring carnival!

Total arrogance.

It's a national competition and has been since 1987, so get over it.
:rolleyes:

I'm a Victorian, and passionate Carlton supporter.

I can't wait for the Grand Final, it will be fantastic! The two best teams of the year without question going at it in the biggest game of the year.

Superstars on every line just about, and super match ups all over.

It couldn't get any better!

St.Kilda and Geelong were galant, but their time will come!

In 2004, it's the Power vs Lions. Let's hope for a blockbuster!

Dan26 said:
As a football fan I can honestly admit, that it really is a shocking match-up this year.

Reminds me of 1978 when Hawthorn and North Melbourne who had met twice in each finals series in 1974, 75, 76, 77 and 78 (10 finals in total) met yet again in the '78 Grand Final and the crowd was only 101,000 at a time when the capacity of the MCG was well over 112,000.

It's nothing to do with the fact that both are non-Victorian teams either. Hell, if it was, say, Sydney vs Fremantle, that would be an interesting, enticing match-up for everyone.

But instead we have two teams who, between them, havn't fallen below third on the ladder since 2001. There is no novelty about them clashing in a big game, and there is no genuine empathy with either side. It really is a terrible match-up club wise, which hopefully will be saved by a great game, and a great contest.

I'm sorry that the grand final is not enough of a novelty for you, Dan, despite an incredibly large number of excellent Port vs Brisbane games to date.

I'm sorry that the novelty of Brisbane breaking a VFL record, or Port Adelaide winning their first AFL premiership isn't enough. Or of Martin Pike potentially winning his 5th premiership medal, or Gavin Wanganeen his 2nd.

I'm sorry that you only find football entertaining when it involves a Victorian club, or involves clubs that shouldn't even be there being there.

Maybe you shouldn't go. And frankly, if this is the attitude of Victorians at large, you just threw the right to call yourselves `the football state' right out the window.

Porthos said:
I'm sorry that the grand final is not enough of a novelty for you, Dan, despite an incredibly large number of excellent Port vs Brisbane games to date.

I'm sorry that the novelty of Brisbane breaking a VFL record, or Port Adelaide winning their first AFL premiership isn't enough. Or of Martin Pike potentially winning his 5th premiership medal, or Gavin Wanganeen his 2nd.

I'm sorry that you only find football entertaining when it involves a Victorian club, or involves clubs that shouldn't even be there being there.

Maybe you shouldn't go. And frankly, if this is the attitude of Victorians at large, you just threw the right to call yourselves `the football state' right out the window.

Me being a Victorian is irrelevant. Like i said, a Sydney vs Fremantle match-up would be an enticing match-up for neutrals.

Brisbane vs Port isn't an enticing "club" match-up for neutrals, but what it DOES promsie is a good game of footy, which is what I'm hoping for.

You obviously didn't read my post when I stated earlier that the fact it's an al interstate GF doesn't bother me, I just find the year-in-year-out success of the same clubs tiresome, regardless of who they happen to be.

Perhaps you should read my posts next time. And by bringing up the fact that I'm a Victorian (which is totally and utterly irrelevant) you have pigeon holed yourself into a position where others can call you a typical vic-hating South Australian. It's a national competiton FFS, why does it matter where I'M from?

What year-in-year-out success? Port have been dismal failures for three years running in finals.

Its very easy to state than an all-interstate GF doesn't bother you, but then to pretend that the reason you're not interested is because of some cosmic force deciding it is a boring encounter, rather than your own bias coming into play, is ridiculous.

Nice edit. I'll address this bit.

Dan26 said:
And by bringing up the fact that I'm a Victorian (which is totally and utterly irrelevant) you have pigeon holed yourself into a position where others can call you a typical vic-hating South Australian. It's a national competiton FFS, why does it matter where I'M from?

Why does it matter where you're from? It doesn't.

That tacked on comment was a broader issue, which on Bigfooty seems to result in threads like this one. I haven't seen any Freo or Sydney fans starting up such rubbish threads, have you? Strangely no.

If you happen to fall into the very clear group covered by that statement, and manage to conform to it, then if the cap fits, wear it.

Porthos said:
What year-in-year-out success? Port have been dismal failures for three years running in finals.

3rd on ladder in 2001, 1st in 2002-3-4, two night flags. That's a lot of victorious games of footy. Lost finals, sure but they are only one-off games. The Power have been a "Power" for 4 years now, and all credit to them, for that.

Porthos said:
Its very easy to state than an all-interstate GF doesn't bother you, but then to pretend that the reason you're not interested is because of some cosmic force deciding it is a boring encounter, rather than your own bias coming into play, is ridiculous.

A Brisbane-Collingwood GF (again!) would have left me "so-so" too. It's like the '78 GF all over again where the public were quite indifferent on the day, simply because both competing clubs had been thereabouts for the previous 4-5 years.

In some ways I like seeing a hated Victorian rival fail, but this particular mix of teams in this years play-off is not particualry enticing for neutrals. But as I said, a great game can save the day, and that's what I'll be hoping for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final 2004 = Carefactor 0%!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back