Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the first time I thought we had a real good chance to run away with it. We'd weathered Sydney's push and our own inaccuracy, we'd gotten ourselves in front, and Blakey (who I generally rate) is more interested in playing up contact rather than playing the ball or man.
That was the big moment for me when we looked more desperate and McCluggage split the sticks.

As soon as I saw that sooky look on Blakey's face two of us commented that they're very worried. They're looking for someone to blame.

I have a question. How long is it acceptable to wear Lions gear around outside? I've been wearing something every day since last Saturday. Whether it's for a run or a bike ride or a walk or to the cafe/supermarket or for a beer at the pub.

Normally when we have a good win I'm happy to wear the colours until the next game is closer (so if we play on Friday night and then the following Saturday, Tuesday is my cut off) but if that rule applies after a Grand Final by my estimation that just about takes us to Christmas.

This is fine right? I might order the premiership polo so I have a bit more of a wardrobe to rotate through 😁

That's a bad one, but this one, played about a month earlier, was the most lifeless and dismal Brisbane performance I've ever been present to witness -- and I went to a lot of early Bears games so trust me, that's saying something.

I don't think I've ever left a game as angry and disgusted as I was leaving this one. Absolutely diabolical. This game shattered any confidence I had in Leppa being the man to bring us back to relevance

That was awful.

I wonder how Carlton felt about a month ago...

I have a question. How long is it acceptable to wear Lions gear around outside? I've been wearing something every day since last Saturday. Whether it's for a run or a bike ride or a walk or to the cafe/supermarket or for a beer at the pub.

Normally when we have a good win I'm happy to wear the colours until the next game is closer (so if we play on Friday night and then the following Saturday, Tuesday is my cut off) but if that rule applies after a Grand Final by my estimation that just about takes us to Christmas.

This is fine right? I might order the premiership polo so I have a bit more of a wardrobe to rotate through 😁
I think you're good until maybe 2030

Don't forget the Lions jocks and pyjamas .

It was pretty clear that the players weren't the only other ones with grand finals nerves. People might assume that for some umpires it's just another game, but they would feel the pressure of the moment. That it wasn't paid again for the match would indicate the occasion got the better of whichever ump that was (it never mattered enough that bother finding out).
On the Blakey one that was potentially a fierce loose ball contest after which some of our guys had wings and you could see some of the Swans players drop their heads with the light bulb moment that maybe we weren't all that spent after a tough run of games. It just seemed important at the time.

Re the Zorko 50 it was just one ump being over zealous trying to stamp his authority on the game and making a bad misjudgement.

On the Blakey one that was potentially a fierce loose ball contest after which some of our guys had wings and you could see some of the Swans players drop their heads with the light bulb moment that maybe we weren't all that spent after a tough run of games. It just seemed important at the time.

Re the Zorko 50 it was just one ump being over zealous trying to stamp his authority on the game and making a bad misjudgement.

The penny dropped and panic slowly set in.

Not a big follower of Rugby League but I do watch the SOO and the GF, after the NRL Grand Final last night something that 4Peat Premiership half back Nathan Cleary said when asked about how they have been able to back up year after year could be applicable to us >

The feeling of winning GFs is addictive, you just have this hunger to feel it again.. but you have to pay the price if you want to succeed. Not Verbatim.

He didn't elaborate in the clip I heard but I assume by "pay the price" he meant on the training track.

Hopefully our boys have that same desire to feel that feeling again and the willingness to pay the price.

This is fine right? I might order the premiership polo so I have a bit more of a wardrobe to rotate through

Always fine. They are clothes and are meant to be worn. I still wear my grand final shirt from last year. People who try and tell you otherwise have no life.

Always fine. They are clothes and are meant to be worn. I still wear my grand final shirt from last year. People who try and tell you otherwise have no life.
Yep, I will be wearing my Premiers cap all off season when I am out walking.

Ditto for the Premiers Polo shirt, still waiting for it though which is understandable, massive demand for it, I look forward to reading the merchandise income in the annual report.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been wearing all week in Sydney, today I didn’t at the beach and of course I see Brodie Grundy

It's hard to beat the 2018 Tigers game where we scored 17 points for the lowest point. At least we eventually scored 65 points in the Pies game

That was just an outlier in that season though? Yes it was really bad but it was against the premiers at the MCG.

Pick a random game in 2015-16 and I’d say that was likely more depressing.

Still can’t get over the fact that we averaged 130 points per game against in 2016. West coast last year had one of the worst points against totals in a decade and they still averaged 115 against.

It's hard to beat the 2018 Tigers game where we scored 17 points for the lowest point. At least we eventually scored 65 points in the Pies game
I went down for that game and that was another low point although the one high point was certainly Cam Rayner who was our best player that day. That game is the clubs lowest score ever too.

I mean, I personally always wear a cap when I'm driving my boat (helps keep my hair organised) and the only caps I own are my various member caps plus the premiership cap. So, I think it's fine ;)

Haven’t flicked through the whole thread but any photos of Jarryd Lyons after the game celebrating? Either at the ground or during the festivities afterwards?

Although he fell out of the first team, he was one of those to lead the way as we started to turn the corner. His professionalism no doubt helped those tremendously in the reserves.

1728294515013.png

1728294539811.png

1728294613587.png

I'm so glad my merch of choice is a scarf in today's scorching heat...

We had quite a few players put some trust in the vision the club was selling to come here, so am glad we got a flag for those players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back