Grand Final @ AAMI??

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Goss

Cancelled
Jun 7, 2007
Brighton
AFL Club
St Kilda
G'day guys, a bloke from Victoria here, love SANFL footy as much as you can living in Melbourne, but just wondering why the Grand Final is at AAMI stadium?

Without knowing too much about SA I would argue the Adelaide Oval would be a far better location for it. As far as I know it is Easier to access, with Public Transport, in the Heart of Adelaide, a better viewing ground, SANFL friendly, (not everyone likes to be in a seat to watch a game of footy.) And can hold 35 000+ spectators, How many get to the SANFL grand Final?? it's not over 35K is it?
What is the leagues reason? particularly when it's suitable to play all of the lead up finals at Adelaide? and I know the majority of the votes on SANFL website have been for Adelaide Oval.

The same thing happens in Vic for some ridiculous reason, the play the Grand Final at MC Labour PArk (carltons home) despite that being the only game of the year there. majority of the lead up finals are at TEAC oval which while yes it does only hold perhaps 10 000, unfortunately that is all we get at the moment to a VFL grand final tops! and 8000 packed out at TEAC looks much better, feels much better, and sounds much better then 8 000 scattered at MC Labour park with a capacity of 35K.

What are your thoughts?

Would like it at Adelaide, but can't see it happening. AAMI would be better if(the weather suited) they closed the undercover seating.

Plus would love to see a Bays Roosters GF to maybe, finally, attract people to the granny.

Keep it AAMI, free parking down there for me @ my Grans. :thumbsu:

I love Adelaide Oval, but late September is when we should be preparing it for pristine cricket conditions in October. :thumbsu:

Cost of Adelaide Oval/Loss of Revenue generate by bar + Food intake @ AAMI

Size - when certain teams play e.g. a Magpies v Centrals GF (i Shudder at the thought) would probably not fit in AO.

Cricket Pitch - Les would already by itching to get the pitch into shape. leaving it till the start of october would not be good.

Just off the top of my head. Although it would kick ass.

Out of the current 5, a Glenelg vs North GF would pull the biggest crowd I reckon
Perhaps back in the 80's.

One thing's for sure, the smallest crowd would be anyone v the Eagles. It's unfortunate that such a good football club gets such a poor following from the public.

G'day guys, a bloke from Victoria here, love SANFL footy as much as you can living in Melbourne, but just wondering why the Grand Final is at AAMI stadium?

Without knowing too much about SA I would argue the Adelaide Oval would be a far better location for it. As far as I know it is Easier to access, with Public Transport, in the Heart of Adelaide, a better viewing ground, SANFL friendly, (not everyone likes to be in a seat to watch a game of footy.) And can hold 35 000+ spectators, How many get to the SANFL grand Final?? it's not over 35K is it?
What is the leagues reason? particularly when it's suitable to play all of the lead up finals at Adelaide? and I know the majority of the votes on SANFL website have been for Adelaide Oval.

The same thing happens in Vic for some ridiculous reason, the play the Grand Final at MC Labour PArk (carltons home) despite that being the only game of the year there. majority of the lead up finals are at TEAC oval which while yes it does only hold perhaps 10 000, unfortunately that is all we get at the moment to a VFL grand final tops! and 8000 packed out at TEAC looks much better, feels much better, and sounds much better then 8 000 scattered at MC Labour park with a capacity of 35K.

What are your thoughts?

Football Park was built back in the 70's because the SANFL and SACA had a big fight .
Adelaide oval with a large crowd would be a laugh .I tried leaving the car park with 3 thousand people at the game what a joke .The Adelaide oval staff are a law unto themselves. And forget food and drink at both venues out of most peoples pockets .
If you ever get over to Adelaide do the Adelaide oval tour .its great the old scoreboard is fantastic.when you get inside the change rooms then you see why AFL is not played there.
Football park is the home of SANFL.
Play some games at Adelaide but the grand final should be played at football park.And when the two aFL teams are not playing at football park(it does happen) play an SANFL game there.
Hell there's talk of thebarton being used instead of adelaide as a neutral venue that would work as well.

Maybe, but anyone else raise their hands who's tired of CD in the GF?

Yes, I'm a little tired of it, but Central will continue to make Grand Finals for many years to come. It's amazing how little effected Central have been by South Australia's AFL involvement since 1991 in comparision with the other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good points, Probably fair enough that it be at AAMI, Have never been to the stadium myself, have see a couple at Adelaide and liked it, I also enjoy watching the footy at Norwood, who I have a bit of a soft spot for.

Some good points, Probably fair enough that it be at AAMI, Have never been to the stadium myself, have see a couple at Adelaide and liked it, I also enjoy watching the footy at Norwood, who I have a bit of a soft spot for. But overall the standard of grounds from playing and viewing point of view are far better than the VFL, while some are as good, across the board it's just not the same.

Yes, I'm a little tired of it, but Central will continue to make Grand Finals for many years to come. It's amazing how little effected Central have been by South Australia's AFL involvement since 1991 in comparision with the other clubs.

Adelaide Hawk I would hate to say a good thing about the dogs but I will.They are a very professional club and when they recruit from across the border they DO NOT go for the big name recruits unlike some SANFL clubs .And we can see what happens to teams that do chase big name afl rejects .
And WWT do something similar when recruiting as centrals do. But the dogies are the number 1 team at present.

The last time the SANFL held the grand final was in 1973, where Glenelg (thanks to Graham Cornes and co.) held on to defeat North Adelaide (with possibly the best SA player of all time in his prime before his knee injury-I speak of course of Barrie Robran in the Roosters side) in possibly the best SANFL grand final ever played. Is it about time the SANFL returned the grand final back to the Adelaide Oval?

Adelaide oval is better. SANFL grand finals should definatley be held there in the future!!! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Perhaps you should have attended a game at Adelaide earlier this year like I did.Six car park attendants to direct me to a car park.The gates opened late because and I quote no security present and the security guard was standing behind the gate attendant. And the other gates were already open and people going in !!
Leaving Adelaide oval car park is a nightmare 3 thousand fans all trying to get out at once .No car park attendants at the end of the game a disgrace.
Buying food from Adelaide oval is the biggest rip off .And they like to search bags and stop you taking drinks etc in.
And go into the footy change rooms and you will see that they are too small/short for the average person let alone ruckman.

And football park was built for the SANFL to be used by the SANFL !!!!!

Should be able to get 30,000+ to most GF's as long as the eagles aren't in it. When they finish fixing the members grandstand and a few other things at Adelaide Oval they should move the Grand Final there no doubt. No point having it at footy park anymore i don't think it matters who plays we probably wouldn't get much over 40,000 now and that's what Adelaide Oval is ment to hold in the future.

I much prefer Adelaide Oval as a venue for my particular situation. I live in the CBD, so whenever there's an Adelaide Oval match we can walk down to the ground - hitting the odd pub along King William St along the way. ;)

The parking and general transport issue is a killer for AAMI Stadium, whereas Adelaide Oval is central and is therefore much easier to get to.

AAMI Stadium is a big, cold piece of concrete with no soul. Adelaide Oval is beautiful and has character.

But the big and KEY advantage that AAMI has is capacity. Any Grand Final held at Adelaide would sell out. And if you had say a Centrals/Port Grand FInal you could potentially have 15-20,000 people turned away at the gate.

That's why, unfortunately, the SANFL Grand Final will need to stay at AAMI Stadium... for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final @ AAMI??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back