Grand Final Day BBQs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So I'm holding a BBQ for grand final day this year (no this is not an invite), so who's got some thoughts on what makes a good grand final day bbq?

What are your traditions, drinking games, betting games etc?

Aside from s***loads of piss.

If it's not raining, and your TV is big enough, set it up outside...

Otherwise:

No lamb chops.
No pretzels.
No cheese.
No scrabble.

If you have 10-15 people hire a stripper to serve you all drinks topless, so no-one will have to get off the couch/stand up. Should only cost about $20-30 a person so just do a quick whip-round to get the cash. ;)

Me and my mates are up to our 7th year of GF Day BBQ and we aloways make sure we have the following:

big screen television
music
bbq
few spare bottles of piss
lots of snags/steaks/bread
few litres of soft drink
a bin out the front for the next days cleanup

have fun mate!

How about the chuck bucket, and designated area of the backyard to piss?

i usually run a sweep for 1st goal kicker in each quarter and norm smith at end good way 2 win some cash and makes it exciting also winner and closest margin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i usually run a sweep for 1st goal kicker in each quarter and norm smith at end good way 2 win some cash and makes it exciting also winner and closest margin

Best way to do this with only a few people is to auction off players who are yet to be picked. Good way to get the kitty up especially if fancied players are yet to be picked out.

plenty of ice in the bath.

other then that the main thing is a decent TV and viewing area, always make space for people who may want to stand and watch at the back, creates a good atmosphere as well.

Back in the day everyone got nominated a player or 2 before the game and the Norm Smith winner had to do at least 1 jug skull. Funny shit seeing dudes bolt once their player got announced at the end of the game. :D

Projector if you can get your hands on one.

A grand final breakfast of eggs, bacon and beer.
Trip to the tote/tab to place bets.
Fire up the barbie. Savs and snags.
A sweep of everyone selecting 1 player from each team. You then drink for every disposal, skol the rest of your drink for a goal, and skol if you get caught not drinking. Last year I drew Taylor and Hayes. Very messy.
Half time heroes.
Lots of alcohol.

Add all of that together, and you've got a good day.

The Grand Final game:

Every time a goal is scored = another round of beer hunter. Any male that opts out gets the Norman Bates psycho banana(*). At the final siren .. all nude, any male that opts out gets the Norman Bates psycho banana, any female that opts out drives to Hungry Jacks drive thru and orders a Brynne Edelsdton burger.

*can substitute with the dorotich sausage if combatants are extremely open-minded.

Usually my mates all bring their computers set them up in a circle and we play world of warcraft. But i guess there are other things you can do as well like drinking and stuff.

We've always had alot of fun betting at my parties. We have pots for the usual stock standard bets like:

First goal kicker
Norm Smith
Winners & Margin
First goal kicker of each quarter
Most possessions
Fist possession of each quarter
First tap out of each quarter
Most inside 50's (team)
Most inside 50's (player for the game)
Most inside 50's (player per quarter)
Most handball receives
Most kicks per quarter (team)
Most kicks per quarter (player)
Most beers drank per quarter (for us watching it not the players LOL!)
Most rebound 50's per quarter (team)
Most rebound 50's per quarter (player)
Most points (team)
Most points (player)

Good luck!

In terms of food, I'd suggest Snags, ONIONS (chopped), Tomato and BBQ sauce, half a dozen loaves of bread, Heavy (e.g. VB) and Midstrength beer and Softdrink (for the kiddies and designated drivers) are a must. Canned Spirits (Not wine or Champers) and steak if you can afford it and can be bothered. Have some cheapo Burgers on standby especially for the kiddies. Lettuce, Beetroot, Spud Salad and eggs if you can be really bothered or if the chicks want to have something. Some sort of grease would also be handy (e.g. oil, butter, spray on stuff)

Also suggest
- Check the Gas bottle BEFORE GF Day (or supply of heat beads/firestarters if using that type of BBQ, not applicable if using electric grill)
- a good supply of chairs in case of breakage
- Some esky's OR a clean unused bathtub OR old fridge OR anything else that can hold several beverages and at least 6-10 bags of ice.
- a number of tennis balls to keep any dogs busy (nothing worse than a dog wanting attention midway through a tense period of the game)
- a topped up mobile phone (for taxis to transport those who want to kick on)
- A big tree or shed (for easy urination. For Number 2's or ladies suggest easy access to loo)
- A pumped up footy (half time kick, or kick during the game as some people did during 1990's 2nd half)
- A Radio (so you don't have to put up with Channel 7, although these days it's not as necessary with Roy and HG not on JJJ, also handy if kicking on after the game)
- $2 bets on First Goalkicker, Norm Smith and even last goalkicker. Drink for every possie the Normie tip gets.
- Someone who is a non drinker in order to re-stock supplies should the unthinkable happen (out of booze/ice)

all the usual stuff sound good to me.

One little gambling game which can make the game extremely fun(even though it is already) is make sure everyone is worded up to have $20 or dollars in $1 coins.

Throughout the entire match you can have 1v1 bets with anyone.

i.e milne takes a mark 45 degree angle 40m out, i could shout out $1 on milny will miss it.

Then it is up to someone else to take the bet on. Winner get a $1

the limits are endless.

• Next inside 50 for saints even though pies have possession on the wing.
  • pies to score next goal
  • coast to coast as pies are kicking out from fullback

it does get quite fun and sometime out of hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Day BBQs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back