Grand Final Day Weddings

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what would be cool though.....

If you were rich enough, you could have the church stuff early in the morning, then buy all of the guests those $1500 corporate tickets with booze included and seat on level 2, then push on with the reception.

A $1500 Grand Final package is generally a breakfast in the city with a level Q seat at the ground...

Get a new fiancée if that fool insists on ruining Grand Final Day - or worse, they don't even realise it.

Wouldn't even attend my wife's funeral if it was on GF day
I was playing golf with a mate one day and the motorway ran parallel to the hole we were playing.

While he was putting a hearse drive past in a procession and he actually stopped, took his hat off and stood in silence until it passed.

After the round I ribbed him for being soft and he said "Least I could do. Would have been our 8 year anniversary today"

MickMolloy2012.jpg

Not just Grand Final day.
Getting married on one of the other 364 days is an act of lunacy anyway.
May as well meet a girl down the street today, give her half your house then never see her again.
Avoids all the bullshit in-between.
Someone's bitter...

One gave me a 'ceremony only' invite .

Seriously wtf is wrong with people?

"I dont really think your important enough to spend money on coming to the reception, but I know you think I'm important enough to waste your day getting dressed up and coming to church to witness the most boring part of the wedding"

A "ceremony only" invite, how self absorbed are some people. So glad my wife was sensible enough to acknowledge that a wedding is just a lavish party and not something to have a nervous breakdown over because the flowers were the wrong colour. Sensible enough to schedule for late November too well away from footy season.

I did have a mild scare recently. My second son was due on 14 Sept smack bang in the middle of finals. Lucky he did the right thing and arrived 3 weeks early on August 23, could've had some awkward conversations down the track.

It's stupid planning, sorry to be harsh on someone's big special day. What would you rather have - all of your friends and rellies lovingly watching you and enjoying being at your wedding, or every male in the congregation either tapping away on a phone, ducking out to the bigscreen in another room every chance they get, or grumbling for "no apparent reason"...? It's one of the few days every year where a huge number of people in every demographic have a vested interest in something they'd hope doesn't get interrupted, and noone enjoys being put in a position of compromise. You check the calendar before you set the big date...how hard is it...?

My fiancé's cousin is getting married on Saturday. Safe to assume we said no.
You realise the Blues were out of contention a while ago right?

If you're a die hard supporter of one of the teams involved then I could understand being shitty but if you're a neutral who would rather watch the footy live than come to my wedding then you're probably not the sort of person I'd really want there anyway.

As a family member? Great job screwing up that relationship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did have a mild scare recently. My second son was due on 14 Sept smack bang in the middle of finals. Lucky he did the right thing and arrived 3 weeks early on August 23, could've had some awkward conversations down the track.
as a melbourne supporter, i would have thought september would have been an ideal time for the birth of your baby

as a melbourne supporter, i would have thought september would have been an ideal time for the birth of your baby

This year - not a problem.

But by the time they're 5-10 year olds and we're winning premierships led by Hogan, Brayshaw and Petracca it will become an issue. Mid-September probably not so much because we're likely to have the second week of finals off anyway ;)

Went to one in 96. To be fair it didn't start til 5 or so, but I was absolutely pissed as a cricket when I got there (not close friends, can't stand them)

You realise the Blues were out of contention a while ago right?

If you're a die hard supporter of one of the teams involved then I could understand being shitty but if you're a neutral who would rather watch the footy live than come to my wedding then you're probably not the sort of person I'd really want there anyway.

As a family member? Great job screwing up that relationship.
The bride and groom are the type of people who would have scheduled their wedding for this Saturday knowing that people would decline so they could save money. They're obligation family members who are only seen at Christmas and funerals.

you all might of heard this, and it's not a wedding but.
There was this guy at the footy sitting next to an empty seat.
The guy on the other side of the empty seat said, "who would buy a GF ticket and not turn up?"
The first guy replied, "that's my wife's seat, she died"
"Shit so sorry to hear that mate, but why not bring a friend or relative?"
First guy: "they are all at the funeral"

Mayo.

This is why I date a lass who is as involved in football as I am, and can sit down and watch all 9 games a weekend, or 5 days of test cricket.
Same here. Mine will come home from work and the first thing she asks is "whats the footy score?" :thumbsu::D
Although this week could lead to divorce anyway as she's an Eagles supporter. :thumbsdown::p

My sister's getting married in Echuca on the weekend of our comp's cricket GF. She'll be getting a congratulatory text if we make it.
I had a similar one to this actually. Planned our engagement party for late march a week after our cricket season was due to finish (plus my team hadnt made a GF for years anyway) along the way one of the rounds of the finals was completely washed out so the season moved back one week and of course we made the GF :eek:.
Luckily for me the mrs was understanding and i turned about 2 hours late to my own party :p

Only way a grand final day wedding could work is if you get all the crap out of the way by 12. Then head to a grand final themed reception with all chairs facing a huge plasma screen. Surrond sound would be a bonus. Get the reception formalities done before the bounce. Would be a good day. You would need a footy mad couple though. And to reassure guests that it's as much about the grand final as it is the wedding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Day Weddings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back