Grand Final runners-up curse

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a curse on teams that lose by 40+. The last 14 to do so did not win a final the next year, or failed to play finals altogether.
Brisbane belted sydney by 10 goals in the 2024 grand final. So going by your view, Sydney finishes 9th or 10th next season?

Swans got belted in the 2014 grand final and made finals in 2015.

Swans got belted in the 2022 grand final and still made finals in 2023.

Last edited:

Nostradamus, impressive.

Pity you didn't tip an all time great run to the flag from that position.
Nah I didnt... I was half right.

I sort of predicted Brisbane to drop down the ladder slightly. Not because Brisbane are bad but because the tightness of the ladder.

Brisbane has always been between decent to very good. That 2021 season was a bit weird. Brisbane got 4th on Pecentage. They went out in straight sets and I was gutted when they lost to the Dogs in that semi final. And yes I still think Brisbane was robbed in that semi final. I sometimes wished Brisbane finished 5th instead and belted the 8th placed bombers then still go out in a semi final vs the Dogs.

Brisbane were basically as strong in 2022 as in 2021. Again, tightness of the ladder got brisbane 6th spot. Brisbane beating Richmond in the Gabba in the elim final and Demons at the MCG in the semi final was good. Those 2 finals wins in 2022 made up for the disappointment of 2021. The also built up to brisbanes next 2 seasons in which they made grand finals in 2023 and 2024.

Saying that...

Brisbane getting 14 wins and a draw from 23 games to win the flag was weird. Yes Brisbane won the flag from 5th spot in 2024.

But Brisbanes last Premiership was 2003. They got exactly 14 wins and 1 draw from 22 games. But they got 3rd that season which meant top 4.

Brisbane lost their 1st final to Collingwood in 2003 by a narrow margin, belted the crows at home in a semi final, Belted Swans in the prelim final in NSW and belted the Magpies in mcg in the Grand final.

Brisbane are the first team in 11 years to reverse a grand final defeat. Hawks were the only team in an 18-team era to make back-to-back grand finals after losing the previous year until 2024.

Lions 2021 is saw them play their first final in Adelaide vs eventual premiers Melbourne before flying to Brisbane to play a home semi where they lost in straight sets.

Reversing a GF loss from 5th has never been done until this season. Brisbane's 2024 run saw them beat Carlton in an EF, came back twice against GWS and Geelong in weeks 2 and 3 then belted Sydney in the Grand Final by 10 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final runners-up curse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back